CT Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: CT Report

steelheadmike
06-17-2002, 08:37 AM
For those that care,

Fished Norwalk CT last evening on the outgoing tide. Picked up one small yet fat Striper 18 inches. Then the Sea Robins showed up!! Has anyone ever witnessed a Sea Robin Blitz????? Weirdest thing I ever saw! They were busting bait on the surface. To the untrained eye they looked like Stripers but after a few flashes of Reddish Orange I was hip to the game. Lipped a few and landed one . After getting stuck in the pooring rain I called it quits.

Dble Haul
06-17-2002, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the report. I landed my first sea robin on the flyrod back at the CT Clave a few weeks ago. If there is an uglier beast on this planet, I don't wanna know......

I hear good things about the bluefish picking up all along the CT coast. I need to get down there again soon and do some surveying for myself.

steelheadmike
06-17-2002, 09:29 AM
Let me know when you plan on coming down here. Maybe get a few people together to have a "mini" clave. There are a few good beaches around but one has to get there real early or after 7pm at night otherwise you will have to pay out the hiney to park $35.OO for Out of State for the day at one of the beaches. OUCH! that hurts. If you are crafty enough you can park elsewhwere and walk in under radar.

Dble Haul
06-17-2002, 09:35 AM
Mike, I'll definitely let you know. I remember some of us at the CT Clave suggesting that we should have another in the fall (maybe October), and I'm all for that. But I want to keep learning the area more, and October is a long ways off.....

I'll let you know, and until then please keep the Nutmeggers in the loop regarding your fishing success down there. Thanks.

steelheadmike
06-17-2002, 09:44 AM
Double Haul,

Until last week I heard and saw some WILD fishing scenarios. There are large Bunker around as well as big sand eels everywhere. I witnessed huge bass rooting in the sand with their tails and backs clear out of the water. They were tight lipped but still was a promising sight. There are a few areas with flats that can be really productive down in the Norwalk area. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on the action in the coming months. I'll be out on Wed. and then Sunday I have a trip either to Block Island or Gardiners depending where the action is the hottest, the Capt. will let us know when we get on the boat.

Wes
06-17-2002, 09:44 PM
Got 6 small fish up to 26 inches in Norwalk Islands Saturday from the yak. Bunker are still there, I think a couple small blues, too., one bite off on a high speed troll. Should be seeing more and bigger soon. Yak gives me a lot more options in CT, I think this might be the birth place of barbed wire.
Jim

Adrian
06-17-2002, 09:54 PM
Good to hear from you Jim!

I am hoping to do a Norwalk Islands paddle this coming Sunday with the Kayak Adventure "School". Good opportunity to check the place out for future visits ;)

steelheadmike
06-18-2002, 08:44 AM
Adrian,

I would like to meet up with guys down there one of these weekend. This weekend however I will fishing with Capt. Bob Turley from North Coast Charters. Hopefully he will once again put us on some great fishing. I take him every year twice a year and for three years running he has put me on to some tremendous fishing! I know this seems like a shamless plug and beleive you me I have nothing to gain by plugging his operation but I have been nothing but pleased everytime I take him. Excellent guide and a great Action Craft 21ft Special Edition boat as your platform. Last year this time I took well over 30 keeper size fish in a single day.

Sorry if it seems I'm gushing but I would recomend him to anyone.