Big Brother Day Photo's [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Big Brother Day Photo's

striblue
06-16-2002, 04:38 PM
Great day for the Kids... weather partly cloudy but light SW breeze... Few fish caught but my lttle guy caught one, learned to dig clams, shell hunt., very interested in fly fishig.. my two sons helped and were glad they went... Glad to see everyone... Keith Lincoln...thank you.. I will let Juro or someone else do the major report of the day..but the gifts went well.. the extra fly boxes and parkers went to Keith and Tom our boat Captains. Here are some pictures. This one is myself and "Poochy".. his nick name and his big Brother. Poochy is from Dorchester ,Ma. and Big Bro.is from Hyde Park, Ma.

striblue
06-16-2002, 04:40 PM
Adrian and his little brother for the day: (Adrian..is that a spinning rod in your hand?)

striblue
06-16-2002, 04:48 PM
Tomd and his guys:

striblue
06-16-2002, 04:50 PM
Sean... and the crew.

striblue
06-16-2002, 04:52 PM
FredA and his two guys: Big and Little Brothers

striblue
06-16-2002, 04:57 PM
Mike Estey, Tomd and Roop:

striblue
06-16-2002, 04:59 PM
The area:

striblue
06-16-2002, 05:06 PM
Quentin to the far left, a big brother next, then FredA, Tomd, Mike Estey, Hawkeye(Gregg Estey), and Adrian.

striblue
06-16-2002, 05:10 PM
My two boys with Poochy...showing the size of the fish he caught... we explained to him the difference between lying and "fish Stories".... he demonstrates his new skills.

striblue
06-16-2002, 05:13 PM
I seem to always forget to resize! This is from the previous post.

striblue
06-16-2002, 05:15 PM
Juro and I.

jborkowski
06-16-2002, 07:22 PM
Thanks Juro for organizing and to my co-volunteers for...well...co-volunteering. A solid FFF team effort.

A special thanks to Matt and James, the better 2/3 of Team Borkowski, for making my weekend. And to Heather and Jameson for doing what they do.

If I'm not mistaken, Heather mentioned that out of the 1200 Big Brother pairs she manages, ~230 expressed interest in this event. If that's not evidence we need to make this an annual event, then I don't know what is. Well, I take that back. I suppose further evidence is the fact that both Matt and James confided today was there "best" day together in 3 years. No doubt the fat 30 incher in the home stretch didn't hurt :devil:. ....phhheeeewwww....

All in all, an awesome day. Very satisfying.

Will post pics soon. Everybody send me your full res pics as I need a good selection for our Fly Fishing New England article. Anyone have a big group shot?

striblue
06-16-2002, 10:41 PM
Thanks Jeff for filling in those significant details.. those are all I have ,my battery ran out, when I tried to take all the combinations... Forgot to say that we gave some of the extra jackets to some of the big Bros and one to Heather. I agree on the annual thing.

ssully
06-16-2002, 10:50 PM
Nice job and report guys.

Geez from the pics though it looks like you could have used a real sluggo tossin spin fishin guy there. :devil:

Again great job guys!

NrthFrk16
06-16-2002, 11:49 PM
All you folks deserve a serious round of applause for your tireless efforts!!!

Thank you!!! :)

Bob Pink
06-17-2002, 05:07 AM
well done there guys, another good example of thinking 'out of the box' in our little world here.....

bcasey
06-17-2002, 06:31 AM
I wish I could have been there in body, in spirit I was. I am extremly proud of my brothers here in the forum, You guys are the BEST!

Nick
06-17-2002, 07:15 AM
Had one of the best days of fishing without fish in my life on Sunday! It was great seeing all the kids out on the water, doing what makes flyfishing so important to me. They were just enjoying the day. Never complained about the clouds. Never complained about no fish. Just enjoyed their surroundings...like I always try to do when I get away from "it" all.

Saturday night meet John, Adrian, Juro, and Fred at Clancy's after deciding to bag fishing for the day and sleep in in Boston. After hearing Juro's tale, I second guessed myself as I always do with him around. Then off to FredA's for sleep. Thanks for the refreshments, company, and bed. Makes the Sunday wakeup all tham much easier!

Nothing really happening at the light Sunday morning, So TomD, Fred and I head to get some java then to the causeway to prepare. Rest of the day went as described by others, but in one word...it was "AWESOME". It got better and better the more I thought about it on the ride home. I'm really glad Juro organized and the rest of us participated. Thanks guys!

Mrs Roop, cookies were awesome and I know the secret.

Adrian, nice cast fishing my little brother, his shoe and the spin rod out of the surf!:hehe: :tsk_tsk:

Jeff, thanks for the brownies and treats, really good as well.

The looks on the kids faces while trying to teach them casting as well as when you show them a Moon Snail or a Horseshoe crab is burned into my mind forever. I hope I can make it again next year.

Nick

Roop
06-17-2002, 07:46 AM
Great day for all who attended. Nice to know you can finally use the seals presence for something positive - the younger boys especially seemed enthralled by them.

No fish for team Roop but fishing with LB Austin BB Mike & chaperone Jameson was a nice relaxed, rewarding time. I spent most of my time answering Austin's questions about crabs, snails, birds, fish, sharks...:hehe:

I'll sign up for next year.

Roop

Adrian
06-17-2002, 08:07 AM
Kudos to all for making this event very special for some great kids and their big brothers. Great reporting John.

My only regret was not getting a picture of Juro carrying a spinning rod :D

Nick
06-17-2002, 08:57 AM
But I did get one with sluggos in his truck:devil:

Lefty
06-17-2002, 09:31 AM
Diddo what Case said. You guys rock.

Lefty

Dble Haul
06-17-2002, 09:37 AM
I'm glad that someone is working up an article on this with a group photo. This event and its participants deserve all the attention that they're due.

Congratulations on a successful day! :D

FredA
06-17-2002, 11:04 AM
Have to admit, I was a bit skeptical about this undertaking. As it turned out it was an incredible day. As I think someone else mentioned, one highlight for me was seeing Caz romping on the surf side trying to get the attention of the seals. To see that enthusiasm and wonder was unbelievable.

Kudos to Juro for organizing this event to and others who put in time with gifts, especially Iron Man who continues to amaze.

But most impressive to me were the Big Brothers and the BB organization.

Oh... and a gold star for Mrs Roops' Cookies

tomd
06-17-2002, 02:35 PM
:D I had a great time, in spite of that April weather we had! the LB/BB teams were great, full of enthusiasm and ready to try their hand at something new. My wife came up with a great idea, have another event with the same(or different LB/BB) teams to teach/show them flytying... then we could probably get a local fly-shop do donate a fly outfit to the kids(good P.R.), you know, like local shop, donates to local Big Bros. and all... what do you guys think?
Tom D

jborkowski
06-17-2002, 06:56 PM
Juro pointing to the Mecca, "Young JEDI...Yooouuuu tooooo will one day visit the Mecca!"

http://www.jeffborkowski.com/images/fishing/juro_mecca.jpg

Roop imparting the new Mukai Jai-Alai Method

http://www.jeffborkowski.com/images/fishing/roop_jai_alai.jpg

Estey's Death March: Part 1, "You see, there's this place called J Buoy."

http://www.jeffborkowski.com/images/fishing/esteys_march.jpg

jborkowski
06-17-2002, 06:57 PM
Tim and Tyler

http://www.jeffborkowski.com/images/fishing/tim_tyler.jpg

SIMMS NEW cotton line of waders.

http://www.jeffborkowski.com/images/fishing/simms.jpg

A lesson in Clams.

http://www.jeffborkowski.com/images/fishing/clammin.jpg

jborkowski
06-17-2002, 06:58 PM
In a crowd, there's always one poser.

http://www.jeffborkowski.com/images/fishing/poser.jpg

Estey's Death March: Part 2: Still Walking...apparently now in the middle of the Sahara, "I swear; it's just over the next mirage."

http://www.jeffborkowski.com/images/fishing/esteys_march2.jpg

The next Morin. John, looks like you've met your match.

http://www.jeffborkowski.com/images/fishing/morin_wimp.jpg

jborkowski
06-17-2002, 06:59 PM
Team Borkowski hard at work.

http://www.jeffborkowski.com/images/fishing/teamb_work.jpg

Team Borkowski telling fish tales.

http://www.jeffborkowski.com/images/fishing/fishtales.jpg

In case you were wondering, the Estey clan was never heard from again.

striblue
06-17-2002, 08:21 PM
Jeff... great photo's.... It looks like they all learned at least one thing...how to tell fish stories!... The little guy in the bathing suit had me in awe... I will just not be able, in any way, to compete with him.

fliboy
06-18-2002, 06:01 AM
Those are some great pics. I too, as Brian C put it, am proud of my brothers on this forum. The smiles on those kids faces - they'll cherish that time forever.

I wish I could have participated this time, but definitely want to volunteer next time you guys do this.

Great job guys!

Dave

Quentin
06-18-2002, 09:08 AM
Great photos everyone! Yes, it was definitely a success despite the lack of fish and sunshine. Everybody seemed to be enjoying themselves and it was a great learning experience for all involved. I agree that it should be an annual event. Sign me up for next year!

My BB/LB pair were Mark and Anthony. We fished for a little while and Anthony was getting pretty good with the fly rod, however, Mark decided that he would stick with the spinning rod. We didn't catch any fish, but Anthony was doing a great job of putting the fly into the "feeding lane" and very likely would have hooked up if a striper came by at the right time. We also hiked over to the ocean side, where the guys were suitably impressed by the surf and the seals that were cruising so close to the beach. Anthony liked the big waves and wanted to go for a swim with the seals, but we explained that they aren't quite as friendly as they may look. Anthony lives near the south shore and has already done some fishing for stripers and bluefish. He and Mark are now planning to do some more fishing together :D

Originally posted by jborkowski
Will post pics soon. Everybody send me your full res pics as I need a good selection for our Fly Fishing New England article. Anyone have a big group shot?

It looked like Heather was taking lots of photos. Maybe she has a group shot? I didn't get any photos with my camera but I gave Mark and Anthony one of those disposable cameras so they could take their own photos.

Jimmy
06-19-2002, 08:12 AM
To my friends at the forum. This event only serves cements my feelings about the board and the people who frequent our threads. Each and every one of you are aces. You have all demonstrated, by your actions, why we are here. I am proud to be associated with so many great people. Prouder still to call you friend. Great job.

Hawkeye
06-19-2002, 09:38 AM
This was a truly exceptional event and one I look forward to participating in over the comming years. All the pairs were taken by the time I finished my teaching station but I had the priveledge of meeting almost every one and they were all great kids. I did get to spend a good amount of time with Matt - a big brother - and I am humbled by the level of caring and dedication these men give freely to their little brothers. It probably does not need to be said but these guys are a lot more than a big brother. From what I saw they go a long way toward filling the gap left by an absent father including caring for and being with the little brother's family. Highest praise to the Big Brothers!!!

Thanks Juro for following this gem of inspiration to it's conclusion and thanks to all who played a part in making it happen!

troutdude
06-19-2002, 08:48 PM
:) You guys make me proud to be a member of FFF. GREAT JOB!!

Papa-G
07-02-2002, 03:01 PM
Hey all,

In the last hour of the Big Brother outing the Little Brother I was working with, Steven, landed a 16 inch striper. Someone, I'm not sure who, came over and took a picture of him, his Big Brother and myself with the fish. The person who took the picture said they would post it ont on this site and I told Heather to watch for it so Steven could have a copy of it. If whoever took the picture has developed it, could you post it?

Thanks,

George :D

Nick
07-07-2002, 08:22 PM
George,
Don't worry... I just got the film back! I'll scan them at work tomorrow and they'll be up. I also have some others to send out as well.

Nick

Nick
07-08-2002, 07:06 AM
Here it is!

Nick
07-08-2002, 07:07 AM
Another

Nick
07-08-2002, 07:07 AM
One more time

Nick
07-08-2002, 07:08 AM
Lunchtime again...

Nick
07-08-2002, 07:09 AM
Mark's Smooth Stroke

Nikfish
10-15-2002, 10:26 PM
I am happy to call myself the newest member of the fff! :p

My name is Nikki Mukai and I'm from Boston, MA. That's right, the last name is no coincidence... Juro is my dad!

In reading the responses from Big Brother day, I was laughing outloud in front of my computer and had tears in my eyes from the look of fulfillment on everyone's faces. The stories my dad shared from his experience that day were inspiring, and well supported by all of yours! I admire all of you who participated in Big Brother Day and hope to be there next time around.

Dad - now there is a family insider to see how big your catch and release fish REALLY are!

Nice to meet you all.

juro
10-15-2002, 11:00 PM
Allright everyone - clean up the language and private messages only for confidential stuff please :devil:

Just joking Nikki we try to run a family program here. I have to say though I kinda understand how you felt when I kept an eye on you all these years. Since you decided to register in my little clubhouse the shoe's on the other foot! Who's next MOM? ;) :hehe:

Seriously, Big Brother Day was in a way a defining moment for what we can achieve as a group. We've had many moments where we did great stuff for ourselves, but it's that much more important and meaningful when we can do something of that caliber. I really look forward to next year when you decide to manage the project - right? :)

tomd
10-16-2002, 01:18 AM
hmmmmmm Nikki the big-brother-meister... it has a nice ring Juro. :devil: Tom D :D

striblue
10-16-2002, 08:22 AM
I remember you on the first rip trip..but I also remember you maybe 7 or 8 years ago.. you were about 3 feet high... at the Chatham Light with Your Dad as the three of us compared flies.

juro
10-16-2002, 09:01 AM
Close - Nikki is my oldest DAUGHTER... my son is the one who came on the Rip Trip and has been a lighthouse prowler with me on occasion as well as a flats stalker. Hmmm.... I need to get him to a CAC initiation! :devil:

striblue
10-16-2002, 09:18 AM
Whoa...sorry..,. had that one wrong.. forgot your son's name.

Nikfish
10-17-2002, 05:24 PM
haha I'm a girl! :eek: :D .... needed to clear that up.
Dad - you'll have to tell me how to post one of those little pictures to the left to clear up the confusion. ;)

Anyhow, I'm writing a feature article about the FFF and Big Brother Day gives me a great angle to view the Forum in. Becoming a member is certainly giving me more insight on what this is all about; it's more than sport, more than fun... (even though I hear you guys have a lot of fun). Any words you have to share would add vividness and accuracy to my article. Who knows - maybe Dad will boost my resume a bit and post it.... :D

Even though it may seem that becoming a member is an act of expediency, I assure you it is not! I've been viewing the site for a while now from afar. This assignment was only the spark to light the fire.

Thanks for the welcome!

juro
10-17-2002, 05:54 PM
I can certainly attest to the authenticity of this... it comes as a big surprise! But I think it's a great idea. Is this a term paper? We also make good master's thesis material if you catch my drift :smokin:

There is a tremendous amount behind the pictures that has yet to be said about that day. Nik, let's interview some members. As you might have noticed we usually have a lot to say! Let's go meet Heather over at Big Brothers, and maybe we could have lunch with some of the mothers who sent us letters and cards. Let's talk to Captain Keith, who without hesitation donated rides for all the littles. And best of all, visit with a big/little pair as part of their day together.

Yes it was a great day. There will be many more, and it may have raised the bar a little on our responsibility to do such things in the future. I sense this as becoming a bigger part of our focus going forward.

Anyway, yes let's do it Nikki. Boy momma didn't raise no dummies! ;)

Heather
11-01-2002, 08:27 AM
Nikki and Juro,
Hello! I think meeting for lunch to talk is a great idea! I have the photos from our Big Brother/FFF day on my desk and am reminded every day of what a wonderful event it was! I'd be happy to tell you more about what Big Brothers does and the impact of the event. Just let me know what I can do!
Heather

Nikfish
11-05-2002, 12:04 AM
Heather and everyone -

WOW. I have to say, the feedback and support I am getting from everyone is TREMENDOUS... and just as tremendously appreciated. My professor and peers are quite intrigued by the subject and are anticipating the final product.

Heather, I would love to be in contact with you about Big Brother Day and what it has brought to the children and the organization. From what I have been hearing, it was a mutually rewarding event. Thank you so much for your consideration!

Thanks again to everyone.

Nikki

tomd
11-06-2002, 01:06 AM
I thought I remembered some talk on the subject. not sure is the kids would be interested, but if we do it, I'm in, if at all possible... I don't think I can meister it, now that I've bought a house built a year before John Hancock signed the Declaration of Independence :eyecrazy: (I am a glutton for punishment) :D Tom D