That's "MR KING" to you! What a moring!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: That's "MR KING" to you! What a moring!!

fredaevans
06-16-2002, 02:43 PM
First to Hal, ST69 and Willie Gun. All of your do's did it this morning. :devil: 5 Kings on, landed 3 ... # 5, the largest (on a Blue/Pink bunnie from Mr. 69) weighed in at 26.5 pounds (cleaned AND beheaded!!) on my bathroom scale.

What a way to spend Father's Day Morning.
:D

Willie Gunn
06-16-2002, 02:58 PM
Fred,
You make me jealous green with envy. I spent all week on the Brora for 1 grilse 4lb in weight. I landed it on my single handed Sage 1073 at 00:30 it was fun, the fish was all over the pool in the near dark. (pretty far north so it stays lightish all night just now)
I fished with my new Sage, the birthday present one it casts a 8 weight silk line like a dream the water was very very low, if it rose 6" the gauge would have read 0. The silk line is very fine at the tip as the low water makes the fish very jumpy.

Malcolm

fredaevans
06-16-2002, 03:56 PM
Are you using it as a floater? If so how do you keep it 'floating?'fe

Willie Gunn
06-16-2002, 04:10 PM
Fred,
Wealth warning silk lines cost more money than you can think of.

I use it as a floater/ sunktip. I leave the last 13ft ungreased. The only pain is stripping it off the reel when you finish fishing to let it dry. Then in the morning grease up and away you go. Lunch time strip line off reel allow to dry grease up and away again for the aftrernoon. Same again at tea time ready for the evening, we require dedication to catch fish in Scotland, none of this 3 in a morning stuff.

It is the fineness of the line that realy appeals. I have just ordered 2 more so I can have on drying whilst I fish the other. This is why lines were double tapered I am led to believe. You reversed the line when it got to wet to fish with and kept sinking. I use forward tapers as I cancast them better. They also last forever and do not wear out if looked after.

Malcolm

Steelheader69
06-16-2002, 04:11 PM
And people always doubted my leeches too. Thanks Fred for helping me prove they work. Comes better from an impartial. :)

Hmmmm, I'm trying to remember which bunny I sent you in blue/pink. I tie up a couple different in that combo. You'll have to send me a picture of the leech so I know which one. Was it the one with a blue collar like fox hair with pink bunny strip, or a full body pink with a schlappen type hackle near eye? Hmmm. damned, I tie too many flies, trying to think which I send. :eyecrazy:

pmflyfisher
06-16-2002, 05:15 PM
Congratulations, did you catch one on my flies, if so which one ?

I will tie up some more for you.

Hal

fredaevans
06-16-2002, 09:00 PM
The first two were on Hal's lime green/black toping. Dummy here didn't replace the tipett section of the leader so #2 broke off at a knot between 20/15# leader. Had to be a gooooood sized fish.

#3 and 4 were on Willie Guns from Malcom. First fish was about 18-20# on the beach and released; second fish just blew 15# freash maxima main line ..... and I tie good knots. Who knows the size of that fish.

#5, and the "keeper" (God saying you're to take one home today?) was '69's' Blue/pink bunnie. No Shlap. on this one.

Only prob. was I'm just short of a mile away from the car ....

String Mr. King in the water, walk back to car, get rid of rod/vest/et. al. walk back clean fish and back to car with 'Baby in arms.' By 1pm I'm shot, pooped, and Doggie say "can we go home now????

'Great Flys' and Damn!!! do they work.

pmflyfisher
06-16-2002, 09:24 PM
OK, I know which one that was. Yep chinooks out here in great lakes love that chartreuse and black combination. Thats the one I tied with Eztaz cactus chenille.

Did you every order any from that URL ?

Very cool

:cool: :cool:

fredaevans
06-16-2002, 09:50 PM
:D Tie and send a couple more.:devil:

Eugene
06-17-2002, 10:40 AM
I'm sure the flies were great, Fred, but don't sell yourself short. The presentation is much more important. Well done!

fredaevans
06-17-2002, 01:04 PM
but I was the only guy on the bank on close to a mile stretch of water. One guide boat above me and that was that. Large number of fish moved in while I was there and it was one of those mornings were "even a blind pig could find an acorn."

The fish were rolling all over the water in front of me so it was just a matter of time before I 'pi....ed' someone off enough to get him to CHOMP:chuckle: The fun part was I even hooked two of the fish (the first two) on a 9wt sage using the new SA line and about an 18' leader. First on the beach and released, the second one popped the leader.

As I said earlier the only problem was the car was close to a mile up river. Easy walk but the size of the 'keeper' required an extra round trip ... or a pack board to haul him out.
fe

pmflyfisher
06-17-2002, 01:17 PM
Fred,

Of course I will immediatedly send via air express a dozen more "Assassin" patterns to the grand spey meister spring salmon slayer of the legendary Rouge River. :smokin:

However, I first must get more chartreuse cactus chenillie which I am out of and have not been able to get to the fly shop last few weeks due to work.

:hehe:

fredaevans
06-17-2002, 02:51 PM
awaiting gifts from my subjects.:hehe:

Checked out my local fly shops Sunday on the way home and no such colour available here in Medford. Very Chartruse, etc., but not that lime green killer stuff.
fe

Doublespey
06-17-2002, 03:03 PM
Hey Fred,

When I sold that rod, I promised it that it was going to a "good home". Now i hear all this about Chinook!! :eyecrazy:

That's what I thought you bought that Dragon-Slayer 18' spey rod for! :devil:

Definitely *Congrats* - those Chinook are a tough fish on a fly rod!

DS

pmflyfisher
06-17-2002, 04:08 PM
Yep, Chinooks are so tough on the fly rod I gave up fishing for them as much as I used to 10-20 years ago. Fred, you must be one grand master on that spey rod to land a 25 LB silver king by yourself. I think my best is around 27 LBs, not sure released two that were up in that range for the very reason you stated in your post. I did not want to carry that heavy of a fish a mile or more through the woods and up and down the Michigan clay banks by myself. Plus they were wild chinooks.

I have carried them many times and it can be a killer on old guys like us. Heck it was hard 20 years ago when I was in my 30s !

Now we are just old king salmon fly fisherman.

:hehe: :hehe:

fredaevans
06-17-2002, 05:09 PM
either fish. The landed one was right about 20#'s, the lost one, by the feel of him, was somewhat larger. Probably why he put the kiss of death to a connection of 15-20# Maxima mainline for leader material. First time I can recall having a knot like this 'pop.'

fe

Hal, you're right. Lugging something that heavy, that far, adds a new layer to why "catch and release.":smokin:

Nate Bailey
06-17-2002, 11:10 PM
Good show fred
I havent even got out, Olny casted my new rod once and your out there slammin salmon, where at touvell, just above gold ray. I have the kids both friday and sat but mabye I can sneek out sat evening if your game ..........Nate

fredaevans
06-17-2002, 11:41 PM
The first 2 were at 'shewey,' the next three were just below at the bottom end of highbanks below the TV boat launch. Had the river to my self all Sunday morning. One guide boat .... and that was it.

pmflyfisher
06-20-2002, 07:17 PM
Fred,

I got to stop at the fly shop today and got some more of the material for that salmon fly, you know "The Assassin" pattern.
Should I tie up a few more this weekend and put in post for you ?

Hal

Steelheader69
06-22-2002, 02:13 AM
If you could, take a digital picture of the leech I tied and email it to me. I hate when I throw in a bunch of stuff and don't write down what I gave. Curiousity on which leech I sent you is killing me.

Steelheader69
06-22-2002, 02:13 AM
If you could, take a digital picture of the leech I tied and email it to me. I hate when I throw in a bunch of stuff and don't write down what I gave. Curiousity on which leech I sent you is killing me.

fredaevans
06-23-2002, 09:32 AM
Out after work on Friday and hooked/lost two more on your bunnie. Lost the first one as the tip of the point had been bent upwards by 'ticking' a rock. Dummy here had forgotten to check his hook.

Second fish had me all over the river .... until the hook came unpinned. But noticed something strange after that .... with the strain on the rod from all these fish, a guide foot on the Scott had been pulled out from under the thread wraps! Now that takes a heck of a lot of pressure to pull off.

On the photo's no problem as Joan will be back from Europe (at least for three weeks, then off again for two and half months) and she the one that totes the electronic camera. "The" fly has been retired as I'd hate to loose it now.

Photo on Tuesday.

Fished the better part of the day yesterday, and zip salmon to show for it. Not a sniff. As there are quite a few summer runs in at this time I shifted to a dry line and hooked/released one about 3-4 pounds in front of a large audience (guys 'combat' fishing for kings .... and Lordie, they were hooking up one right after the other).
Fred

pmflyfisher
06-23-2002, 10:06 AM
Fred, thats what happened to 3 of my rods from fighting those kings they are just one powerful fish. Have seen others fly rods shatter when they did not something when they go on one of their back to Lake Michigan runs, when the graphite rod pops it sounds like a gun shot some times.

Steelheader69
06-23-2002, 02:25 PM
But I think the worst thing to ever happen to one of my rods was chum fishing. Had been catching quite a few in the mid-upper 20's (come to find out one fish I released was a state record at 27lbs), and on one big run by a chum my rod literally exploded. Popped in 3 places. Wasn't a top notch rod, but was a decent lamiglas for my fishing about 12 years ago. Was throwing one of my "chum specials". I almost wonder if it wasn't the king I caught a few fish earlier that did the final tole on my rod. Hmmmmm, never know. But she popped like you wouldn't believe. I still haven't figured it out. And it's been over a decade, and neither could lamiglas. It was a 9wt rod, and was a good 2 years old with no nicks on rod. Drag wasn't tight at all, since I prefer to let the fish play. Never know. The replacement for that rod has long since been sold.

Fred, once I get a picture of the leech I made, I'll tie you up a few more. Just be careful of those hooks, those daiichi's seem to drive themselves home in a second. OUCH! Damned, was sitting at the desk tying up some flies, phone rang, and got up quick to answer it. Nearly drove the hook in vise up to the barb. With no effort. Gotta love those hooks. :D

fredaevans
06-23-2002, 11:13 PM
except for the two lost Friday night. Point of the trips was my neighbor asked me if I'd take her 76 year old father fishing on the Rogue. Why not? Turns out he's a heck of a nice guy and spends a lot of his retirement time with a rod or shotgun in his hands.

Took a couple of hours to get him used to using an 11' Lamiglas rod and level wind with an 1 oz. of lead for a sinker. Actually that wasn't the issue ... it was using 7-9 foot leaders.

Anyway, Bill was zero on Friday evening but kicked into high gear on Saturday afternoon. Hooked 4 monsters that the drag on the Amb. 5500C just couldn't handle. Had to take over the rod on one occation to keep him from getting spooled. This afternoon he hooks another piggie and on the first run, with the drag set as heavy as it would go, almost gets spooled again before the fish breaks off.

Second fish, about 6 or seven casts later, after re-rigging, is a more respectable 18-20 pounder that slid up on the beach.

FredMeister (at least for a day or two) is local hero.
:hehe: