Fly Fishing Quotes [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly Fishing Quotes

pmflyfisher
06-16-2002, 10:47 AM
"Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never with a fly rod in my hand, have I been unhappy"

Charles Kuralt - 1996, the year before he died on July 4, 1997.

One of my favorite quotes, imagine all of the areas of America Mr. Kuralt got to fly fish when doing the 600+ " Sunday Morning "On the Road", shows in which he traveled through rural America showing us the different rural life styles of which America's land mass primarily consists of.

Would of loved to have spent one day fly fishing with this gentlemen thats for sure.

Lets hear other's favorite fly fishing quotes.

kush
06-16-2002, 11:15 AM
Without finding the book, here are a couple of my favourites...

"I fish all the time when I'm around home, so when I go on holiday I try to fish as much as I can."

And, "The trout don't rise in Greenwell Cemetary"

flyfisha1
06-16-2002, 04:59 PM
I like this thread!
"Fly fishing is such great fun, I have often felt, that it really ought to be done in bed."
- Robert Traver (whose real name escapes me), 1974
and...
"(Yellow perch are) too good for any but anglers, or very honest men."
- Izaak Walton, on the topic of eating yellow perch, which IMHO are the best tasting freshwater fish on the planet.

pmflyfisher
06-16-2002, 06:18 PM
Yellow perch are good but I think walleye are the best at least for north american fresh water fish.

Don't have a quote to support this though just past eating experiences. :razz:

fredaevans
06-16-2002, 10:05 PM
Southern Oregon.

Life, as it should be lived, awaits you.
fe:D

pmflyfisher
06-16-2002, 10:20 PM
I bet Charles Kuralt did a "On the Road" show on Medford, Oregon or something close by there.

jborkowski
06-27-2002, 09:25 PM
pm,

happy to see the kuralt reference. i grew up on "Sunday Morning". it was my religion really. never missed it. it is by far the best "news" show on tv. if not the best show on tv period. given the amount of tv the average american watches daily/weekly, i am amazed the number of people who have never even heard of the show, let alone seen it. i'm convinced the world would be a better place if every sunday at 9am every human were required to tune into CBS. anyway, i digress...

kuralt was clearly a genius...with a few screws loose...but a genius nonetheless. a gifted storyteller who would have been interesting to fish with no doubt. incidentally, i think a day on the water with bill geist would be a whole lot of fun too.

i suppose i owe you a quote. hmmmmmm.....after all my long-windedness, i'm not sure i have any fishing specific quotes to share. go figure. the quote that comes to mind is something more general i try to live by which is:

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but a great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."

Oh! hold on, I suppose this one is a little more relevant to fishing (or at least my flyfishing experiences :rolleyes: )

"There is only one thing about which I am certain, and that is that there is very little about which one can be certain."

Thanks again for the reminder.

pmflyfisher
06-27-2002, 10:50 PM
Great, ! whose was the solitude quote ?

Here is one of my favorite Ernest Schwiebert quotes from his story "Where flows the Umpqua" - 1979

"Steelhead are lying in the silken flow, elusive shadows as brightly polished as a wedding spoon. Its summer run fish are like rare jewels in its velvet pools, drifting like ghosts in its currents, hovering in shafts of sunlight and spume.

We are precious and we are few. Their restless liturgies are a half remembered whisper on the wind. We are coming home, seeking the swift riffles of our birth -- catch us if you can !"

Hope you don't get the steelhead obsession because once you do it is hard to fish for anything else, if you know they are around and you have a chance. But what a great challenge and fun the pursuit is !

Hal

jborkowski
06-28-2002, 08:21 AM
Solitude quote is by Emerson (Ralph Waldo).

Broadbill
06-28-2002, 11:21 AM
Didn't I just read this quote on another thread here? I copied it recently:

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope"

John Buchan

Buchan (later Lord Tweedsmuir) was Governor General of Canada and the author of some wonderful adventure stories that include fishing and stalking in the Scottish highlands--Huntingtower, The Thirty-nine Steps, etc., etc. Great summer reading.

Sprocket
06-28-2002, 04:40 PM
It's not from literature but I still love it (and thankfully have not had to say it this year[knocking wood]):

"Fishing was so slow, I saw a dead skate and thought about trying to hook it just to feel the weight of a fish - but the way I've been breaking rods this year, I decided not to try."

this was posted last year on FFSW.com, never forgot it.

credits to Eric R.

juro
06-30-2002, 07:52 AM
Thread killer! :hehe:

pmflyfisher
12-09-2002, 05:10 PM
Time to resurrect this thread

This is the time of the year I start pulling out my fly fishing literature books and read some of the classic stories I have grown to love over the years. Heres one by R.H. Brown from the above book:

" I don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel. But I do know that if it were not for the strong quick life of rivers, for their sparkle in the sun shine, for the cold grayness of them under rain, and the feel of them about my legs as I set my foot down hard on rocks or sand or gravel, I should fish less often. A river is never quite silent. It can never, of its very nature be quite still, it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and are beautiful also. Perhaps fishing, is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers. If so I'm glad I though of it"

Looking forward to some of your favorites.

sinktip
12-09-2002, 05:22 PM
It is good to remember that more steelhead will be caught on a hunk of yarn than on the fanciest fly ever tied.
-- Roderick Haig-Brown

I like it as I think it keeps things in perspective.

juro
12-09-2002, 05:23 PM
"When I was young and single, I used to think of all the sex I was missing so I could get my fishing time in. Then when I grew up and got married, I used to think of all the fishing I was missing just so I could get a little sex. Now that I am older, all I can say is that the fishing's still great." - The "Shadow", circa 1988 on a river in Washington State.

Bob Pink
12-09-2002, 07:08 PM
Keepin' the feeling alive;

" Of all the memories that have clung to the day's events, and of all the sights and sounds to which I was heir that morning, none so electrified me as did the first wild, panic-stricken shriek of that tiny, unprepared reel. If ever a thing inanimate screamed in abject terror it was that ounce or two of delicate and airy metal."

"The Banshee Shadow Flies" by Gordon Grand.

Bob Pink
12-09-2002, 07:13 PM
And.....

Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done.

- Charles F. Orvis, 1886

pmflyfisher
12-09-2002, 07:23 PM
Good ones keep them coming, I am saving a few for the long winter.

BigDave
12-10-2002, 09:42 AM
Great thread.

A personal favorite when explaining to your friends why and how you got skunked:

"Sometimes you eat the bar, sometimes the bar eats you"

-Big Lebowski :D

pmflyfisher
12-10-2002, 09:54 PM
Big Dave,

How about this one?

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process."

Paul O'Neil

pmflyfisher
12-12-2002, 09:27 PM
Heres another one

"Go down to the railroad tracks and wait for the next train. Cast to it and watch the line peel off your spool. Thats what it like to have a steelhead at the end of a fly rod. You stand for hours, days, in the icy water waiting for the fish. First your fingers, then your brains go numb as you wait. You cast, you mend, you drift, you strip. You take three steps downstream and do it again. You do it a thousand times."

Mallary Burton - Green River Virgins and Other Passionate Anglers -Lyons Press

Not all steelhead are like this but the ones that are you will remember for the rest of your life.

PM Out

Lefty
12-12-2002, 09:35 PM
What no John Gierach?

"We finally located some coffee at an all- but-deserted little bar up the road a few miles and and spent some time formulating an elaborate theory about why we weren't catching any fish. It seems like it had something to do with barometric pressure, sunlight, aquatic insect drift migratrion,sunspots, continental drift, and maybe a few too many fishermen. It hardly matters. The point is, a true angler must have a detailed, scientific sounding theory about why he's getting skunked. Only a begginer would admit it's because the fish just ain't bitin"

John Gierach

Chris
12-12-2002, 09:58 PM
" Flyfishing is a sport in which fish are caught properly only a certain way, often against all odds, and that using rods from a weird kind of grass that grows only in China seems somehow appropriate"
John Gierach - Trout Bum

pmflyfisher
12-13-2002, 08:39 AM
Good, now were rolling lets keep this going all winter.

I have lots of them to use up yet.

PM Out

Gardener
12-13-2002, 11:07 AM
This piece seems appropriate for the time of year. The closing lines of Lord Grey’s ‘Fly Fishing’, though written by an old man about his life as a whole, may strike a chord with anyone who has even a single season to reflect on.

‘An angler who...reviews the pleasure of life will be grateful and glad that he has been an angler, for he will look back upon days radiant with happiness, peaks and peaks of enjoyment that are no less bright because they are lit in memory by the light of a setting sun.’

pmflyfisher
12-13-2002, 12:36 PM
Gardener,

Nice I can see myself walking out at the end of a long day through the national forest on a couple in particular of our wild steelhead streams watching the sunset through the trees and meandering river below thinking these words.

Thanks

PM Out

Moonlight
12-13-2002, 01:58 PM
But one that epitomizes an advanced anglers thought process is by Norman Maclean from the book that before the movie was considered a good thing by many crusty old types.

He said,"They are feeding on drowned yellow stone flies"

I asked him,"How did you think that out?"...

"All there is to thinking,"he said,"is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible."

I said to my brother, "Give me a cigarette and say what you mean."

Capt. Mel Simpson
12-13-2002, 02:24 PM
"Flyfishing only next 37 miles"

Road sign, North Umpqua Highway.

JimW
12-13-2002, 06:49 PM
"Is That A FISH?? "
Pete Gray
Monomoy
Summer 2002
;)

Adrian
12-13-2002, 11:19 PM
On "The use of a car or caravan for fishing" from "TheFishermans Handbook" by George Brennand, 1951...

I think that even now, many older people do not use their cars to the best or fullest use for fishing. A car, properly used, can be not only a means of transport to and from one's fishing, but also a sort of mobile fishing hut, a store for surplus tackle and equipment, and on occaisions a miniature dwelling-house on wheels.

It's astonishing where you can go with a car if you really put your mind to it .....

pmflyfisher
12-14-2002, 11:25 AM
Most things end naturally, if painfully, for a boy. He realizes he will never throw the ball like Bradhaw or like Alou. So he puts his toys away.

Fishing is not something you grow out of, but for some reason most boys walk away from it for awhile. Automobiles and girls come along to take their time and attention. Boys grow up enough to make fools of themselves and terrify their parents the way they never did when they were digging for worms and going off to some secret pond to fish.

It is impossible to know why boys lose interest in fishing. It is not biology, because some some boys never do. But must do and some, sadly, never come back. But it should be counted one of fishings best features that you can always come back to it.

That cannot be said of baseball and football, model airplanes, summer camp, swimming holes, and young flirty girls. As years pass you can recall those things and feel the ache, but you can never have them again. You can pick up a rod and go fishing, and if haven't completely buried the boy in you, there will be something of the old sweet feeling of awe left. You can feel it long after baseball cards and catchers mitts and bicycles have become dead objects. Even then a fishing rod still has a magic feeling, a life. Fishing keeps us --part of us, anyway--boys forever.

The Ultimate Fishing Book - A Fishermans Seasons - Geoffrey Norman

Enjoy !

Happy Holidays !

PM Out

pmflyfisher
12-17-2002, 11:49 PM
"Familiar rivers have a strange charm unlike the challenge of wilderness water. It is a sense of tradition mixed with time, with footpaths worn under the boots of generations, and a patina like the worn barrels of a familiar doublegun. There is also the sense of heritage passed from a parade of anglers. Such tradition is typical on the Beaverkill and its sister rivers, and the local Catskill fisherman who watched it all was Richard Robbins. His eyes failed him in his last years along the Beaverkill, and sometimes he hailed another fisherman to change his flies. Robbins lies buried in an ummarked grave in the Riverview Cemetery at Roscoe, above the stream he fished more than half his life, and his enthusiam for the Beaverkill never waned. Don't get discouraged! he exclaimed when the mid summer hatches were sparse and the river was low and warm. Its still early and come a rain to cool her some---you'll see the fishing come back!

There are still men who fish the river who remember Robbins on the Beaverkill, particularly along the easily waded flats of the lower river. The regulars share whisky and stories in the Home Pool along the cellar bar at the Antrim Lodge. Some nights when the mist is layered over the hills, it is not difficult to imagine Robbins fishing the river and having him hail them for a change fly in the failing light of age and evening"

Song Of the Catskills - Ernest Schwiebert - 1971

The Beaverkill and its sister rivers are where my fly fishing roots started as a teenager and through my twenties. Lots of special memories from the days spent on those rivers with my boyhood friends and many times alone.

PM Out

KerryS
12-18-2002, 10:26 AM
"Besides egotism there is in every fisherman a humor, a certain loquaciousness, a friendly levity, an inclination to argument, an inexplicable sense of the pleasure in idling hours along a river, and a peculiar tendency toward exaggeration which he can recognize in his companion, but is rarely capable of seeing in himself."

Zane Grey

pmflyfisher
12-18-2002, 12:29 PM
The Night of the Gytefish - Ernest Schwiebert

"The ghillie scissored the Torrish from my leader and studied it. It had lost both jungle cock feathers. Its hair wing was ragged and thin, showing the scarlet and bright blue and yellow hairs still left. The bucktail fibers were brittle and ben, and the canary hackles were matted with slime. Its dark ostriche butt was missing. Two ong spirals of oose tinsel wound free of its body, and the working thread was worn thin., showing the hook. The fly had done its work, although I had never made copies, and I stood looking at the the big cock fish in the boat.

Gytefisk night! I thought happily.

The ghillie climbed high on a mossy boulder, held the withered brightly hackled Torrish above his head, and threw it out across the pool. It belongs to the river now, he said"

This is from a short story about an E. Schwiebert Norway atlantic salmon fishing trip during the mid night sun period in which he caught 3-4 cock fish in the 30-40 lb range on the Torrish.

Had one salmon fly fishing day like this on GLs fresh run silver chinooks. One particular fly that they would hit in this one pool on one early september day, that other anglers did not have. Hooked around 15 while the others could not hook any. They were running to the sports store for the pattern which they did not have. My day ended when I lost the last fly I had of that pattern on another broken off chinook heading back to lake michigan. One of those price less days in which they wanted one fly and you had it at the right place and time.

A couple of other days similar on GL steelhead.

Those are the ones you really remember and keep you coming back for more.

peter-s-c
12-18-2002, 08:18 PM
Just to show that nothing really changes . . .

Fishing, if I, a fisher, may protest,
Of pleasures is the sweetest, of sports the best,
Of exercises the most excellent.
Of reacreations the most innocent;
But now the sport is marde, and wott ye why?
Fishes decrease, and fishers multiply.

Thomas Bastard, 1598

(marde - merde - French for caca)

Moonlight
12-18-2002, 08:36 PM
Peter thats an old one, predates Jamestown no less. Wow the more things stay the same the less they change!

DEERHAAWK
12-19-2002, 01:10 AM
Good day,
This quote I present to you, for the pleasure of such a fine thread.
Charles E H Higgins writes...
" The love of Angling must be born in a man; Anglers are not taught! If any Angler takes up fishing late in life, it is only the blossoming of a late flower. The germ was there, although dormant perhaps, through the pressing duties of business life."
" A true Angler is the happy product of the Creators will, and he is happiest when, by the brookside, rod in hand, he communes with Nature and pursues his quiet way through woodland and meadow."
And I will further add... J H Farnam, a quote from 1890
" The result of my experience in Flyfishing is to make me a stronger advocate for it than ever, both for the increased amount of pleasure over bait-fishing, and the larger and better fish obtained by this method."
I remain, a friend in fish...
Deerhawk

pmflyfisher
12-19-2002, 09:27 AM
Those additions were very nice indeed to this thread.

I cannot remember now what I expected of steelhead before I ever saw one. The name almost certainly gave me a mental picture of a fish whose back was a polished blue-gray like steel and whose strength was all that steel implies. One could do a lot worse than that.

A River Never Sleeps - Roderick Haig Brown

pmflyfisher
12-22-2002, 12:37 AM
Following are excerpts from one of the chapters of a book that is becoming one of my favorite fly fishing history, literature and art books in my personal library.

The subject matter is the status of U.S. atlantic salmon restoration and the associated environmental issues. It applies equally to any other wild fish of your choice such as steelhead, king salmon, striped bass, bone fish, etc....

I have found many thoughts in this text which after 43 years of fly fishing express why I have continued in the sport and not continued in others. It is a little longer than I intended but I think you will find it a thought ful read which you will find useful in your pursuit of fly fishing.

Enjoy and have a great holiday with your families !

Source: The Ultimate Fishing Book- 1981 - edited by Lee Eisenberg and Decourcy Taylor - Natural Limits The Once and Future Atlantic Salmon by Ted Williams - (Note: This is not Ted Williams the base ball player who was an avid atlantic salmon fisherman)

To admit that one fishes is one thing. To admit that one lives to fish--that one feels suddenly at peace with himself and at one with the earth when he takes up his "fish pole"-- is quite another. When the angler feels the surge of a wild fish in clean water, he is suddenly more alive than he has ever been. But even he calls the thing that makes him feel this way a sport. Bowling is a sport, fishing when undertaken seriously, is much, much more.

Robert Traver, author of Anatomy of Murder says it best in his superior work, Anatomy of a Fisherman. He happens to be speaking in the context of trout fishing, but rare, if not nonexistent is the Atlantic Salmon angler who was not, or is not also devoted to trout. And a trout although not a salmon is at least a salmonid-- about as closely related as it can be with out being a subspecies. But Traver's philosophy applies equally to any and all wild game fish and their followers.

I fish he writes "because I love the environs where trout are found and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly, because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape; because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives dong things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip; because only in the woods can I find solitude with out loneliness; because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally not because I regard fishing as being terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant and not nearly so much fun".

We need fisherman because fishing is one of the few avenues by which large numbers of people gain love and understanding for the earth as man did not make it. Thoreau was a fisherman. So too was Aldo Leopold. Perhaps they would have learned to see without fishing; but fishing put them in the right place at the right time. and it helped them focus on the things that really matter.

The game fish themselves, important as they are, are only part of whats at stake. No one fishes for desert pup fish or snail darters, but fisherman, because they are among the few who understand, have come loudly to their defense. The challenge we face is not just saving things like the desert pup fish and the snail darter. It is learning enough about our planet and way it works to want to save them. Thats what fishing teaches us.

The atlantic salmon has come to represent whatever it is that still holds the living earth together. It is a last ancient thread, a visible connection between unmolested land, clean air, healthy lakes, and rivers, and the responsible, shared stewardship of the seas. He who angles for atlantic salmon oftern learns to care about such things. Whether one calls it sport or religion, atlantic salmon fishing teaches us that mirrored in the fate of the fish is the fate of the water, earth, and atmosphere. Our fascination with atlantic salmon has given us at least the beginning of an understanding of something John Muir told us a century ago, when no one was listening: "When one tugs on a single thing in nature one finds it attached to the rest of the world"

fredaevans
12-22-2002, 06:12 AM
Excellent, and timeless read.
fae

pmflyfisher
01-02-2003, 10:30 PM
Always reread some of my favorite fly fishing books this time of the year.

Heres one from "The Year of the Trout" - Steve Raymond
Upstream Journey short story.

" I thought of my own life in comparison with the steelhead's and of the course that had brought me to this cold and quiet beach on a winter morning. It was a course infinitely more complicated than the trout's filled with unsuspected twists and sudden turns , false starts and fitful purposes, satisfying advances, and sorry retreats. It also was a course without a clear and certain purpose, for unlike the steelhead a man has no familiar river to which one day he knows he will return. A steelhead always knows where it is going, but a man seldom does."

PM Out

cohocola
01-04-2003, 01:28 AM
Like salmon returning to their place of origin, I fine myself longing to return here. Swimming upstream in the vast rivers of the world wide web.

BobK
01-04-2003, 10:56 AM
One thing fisherman have is a sense of humor - we can laugh at ourselves at times, and it makes for some wit, as well. Here are some examples:

"If we carry purism to its logical conclusion, to do it right, you'd have to live naked in a cave, hit your trout on the head with rocks, and eat them raw. But so as not to violate another essential element of the fly fishing tradition, the rocks would have to be quarried in England and cost $300 each."
- John Gierach

And here are several from Patrick McManus:

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary."

"The two best times to fish are when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

"Smoked carp tastes just as good as smoked salmon when you ain't got no smoked salmon."

And from Tony Blake, on Flyfish@

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

Now, a sad note to pmflyfisher -
Hal - Remember Roscoe and the Antrim Lodge? Well, the last few trips to the B'kill, it was boarded up and is in bad disrepair. Another victim of the times, I guess. More large trout were caught over the bar there than ever existed!

BobK

pmflyfisher
01-04-2003, 11:16 AM
BobK

What the Antrim Lodge is gone ! I will have to buy a good bottle of merlot today and mourn as I watch the wild card play off games, and read some of my old Beaverkill short stories, like "Song Of the Catskills" E. Schwiebert, "A westerner looks at the Beaverkill" - R. H. Brown, etc....

That was sacred american fly fishing ground. When I was a teenager and started the fishing the beaverkill at 13-14 years old, we thought all of the anglers staying at the Antrim were NY millionaires. As we got older we would normally stop there at the end of the day for dinner or drinks etc, and BS with the other anglers. The times we stayed over, there was an old women in Roscoe who rented out rooms to fisherman. One of those old clap board houses. Cannot remember her name any more.

Part of our fly fishing history is gone forever it appears.

Great memories though.

Had some great days in solitude fishing the Willow, Beaverkills and Delawares during my teens and twenties. Would go during the week and had some incredible dry, wet, and nymph fishing.

Aaah the rainy day alone down from Junction Pool to Hendricksons, and Horse Brook will be remembered forever, the river rose alittle clouded up a bit and the bigger brownies came out and attacked my little muddler minnows. They broke off about 4-5 of them on me. But landed a couple of 18-19 inches in the no kill section.

Got to get back there before I leave the planet for sure.

PM Out

capt_gordon
01-04-2003, 04:03 PM
Norman Mclean:
"The best thing about fishing is that soon the world is full of thoughts of nothing but fishing."

I read through this whole thread and couldn't believe that nobody had included him. Still my favorite book...the movie is okay. Best part being the pictures...can't get enough of looking at the Montana countryside

pmflyfisher
01-05-2003, 02:19 PM
Capt Gordon,

Yep great book bought it in the early 80s sent it to my brother who I grew up trout fishing with back east. Book is better than picture.

Heres an excerpt from Robert Traver - Gambling at Frenchmans

"Show me a fly fisherman who's still out there flailing away -- after all, a few faint hearted ones occassionally go to back to golf --- and I'll show you one of the biggest gamblers outside of Las Vegas. And one just as heedless of the odds against him. For who but a real gone compulsive gambler could continue to stand for hours, often up to his whizzle-string in ice water, pelting out a series of bent pins adorned with bits of fluff and tinsel, all in the whistful hope that some hungry fish might finally mistake one of them for something good to eat".

Yes all fly fisherman are gamblers, ones who seek complex challenges and whom are not afraid to fail.

Good traits for all humans I think.

PM Out

pmflyfisher
02-02-2003, 11:37 AM
Source:

The Master and His Fish;
R. H. Brown, 1981, The Man Behind the Rod.

Closing two paragraphs of this 3 page short essay.

When I go fishing I want to be a part of the river and all my surroundings, not a stranger thrusting in upon them. I want to move quietly and at my own pace. I want to feel that I know something of where the fish are and what they are doing and why. I want to be able to name the birds I see and take time out to watch them. I want to feel the river about me and to fill my mind with the infinity of lights that break from its surface and its depths. I want to know the trees along the banks, the rocks of the bottom, and the creatures that shelter there and feed my fish.

In such participation I cannot be a stranger. I belong there as a man should be able to belong in a setting he has chosen for himself. My claim is as good as that of the heron or the otter or the osprey, even though my efficiency may be less.

As for the fishing, it need not be good. There need only be a chance that it may be good. I do not want to kill fish-- I would rather release them. What I want to find is some classic situation-- a good fish rising in a favourable but not too favourable place; the perfect lie that one can fish down to with mounting; concentration, through a long reach; the difficult place close under the bank, where trouble is certain from the log jam above or the rapid below. Those things never grow stale.

I may find them or I may not. It matters very little. In searching I shall certainly find other things, expected or unexpected, and from somewhere among them I shall take at least one bright picture of excitement or beauty to make the day. After, forty years rivers remain places of enchantment and the fish that swim in them creatures of wonder. Some small share in this is the fisherman's real reward".

I bought this book in 1981 or 1982. The fishery conservation ethics of Lee Wulff, R.H. Brown, and Ernest Schwiebert have guided me as I start my my 43rd year of fly fishing.

Enjoy your 2003 fishing season as mine officially starts now and the thoughts in this essay and the others in this thread will continue to guide my thinking and behavior.

Hope to run into some of the forumn members along the GL steelhead and trout rivers this year.

PM Out

removed_by_request
02-03-2003, 11:01 AM
You have way too much time on your hands.

pmflyfisher
02-03-2003, 12:26 PM
There is always some time for great fly fishing literature.

One cannot talk about the vagaries of spey lines and rods forever. That is not why we fly fish which is the point of these quotes.

BTW, I was on a web site of a BC fly guide and the following statement is made:

"The long two handed fly rods (Spey rods) are an awesome tool in the application of both the short and long line nymphing technique (the tool for swinging fly's) and can help you effectively fish water that were with a one hander you would have a devil of a time to reach and then properly present your fly. Spey casting by the way is one of the oldest and simplest forms of casting a fly and can be learned in short order by even the most marginally dexterous of human."

I agree 100% spey technology is not fly fishing rocket science as one would think reading some of our spey threads. maybe for wider rivers where the longer complicateds casts of a spey is needed but definitely not for the smal and medium size rivers in the great lakes and many other areas.

PM Out

removed_by_request
02-03-2003, 02:54 PM
You still have way too much idle time.

BobK
02-03-2003, 06:39 PM
I use as much as possible of my idle time to go fishing. That's why I worked hard and retired! What's wrong with that?

BobK

removed_by_request
02-03-2003, 08:47 PM
Fishing is the 2nd best way to spend idle time. You can probably guess what #1 is.

It ain't posting long gone fishers quotes.:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

BobK
02-04-2003, 08:24 AM
Yup! Absolutely right!

BobK::chuckle: :chuckle:

moosestang
02-04-2003, 03:10 PM
The one Quote that sticks in my head year after year and especially after a long day of fishing when the hands and feet are numb with cold and my back hurts from being bent over to hide from the fish:

The worst day fishing is still better than the best day at work!!!

:chuckle: :chuckle:

Tony Petrella
02-05-2003, 01:33 PM
I believe it was John MacDonald who wrote "I am against roads. I am against logging. I am against telehones. I am not, however, against golf. For I believe it keeps armies of the unwashed and unworthy off of trout streams!"

CapT

pmflyfisher
02-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the additions Tony and Moosetang at least some others appreciate good fly fishing literature.

I will continue the thread since we are now at 800 views and obviously many forumn members are interested in this part of fly fishing history.

PM Out

SDHflyfisher
02-05-2003, 04:42 PM
aint that the truth:hehe:

Tony Petrella
02-05-2003, 05:31 PM
"Moosetang" ???????????????

I've GOTTA hear THIS story!!!???!!!

CapT

pmflyfisher
02-05-2003, 10:25 PM
Did some way mention golf another one of my passions.

Heres another fly fishing quote:

Final Words

"An old man in his final breaths called in his family and said "I must apologize to you all. I suppose I haven't been the perfect father and husband. I shamefully admit that I spent as much of my life as I could in the woods and on the streams. I was rarely at home during the fishing seasons and I'll admit that I spent too much time at the fly shop, and too much money on rods and lines and reels." He paused here to rest for a minute, then continued. "I've been a terrible father and I hope you all forgive me." Then he paused again and looked around. Then he closed his eyes and smiled and said in a half whisper to himself, "and on the other hand....I have caught a helluva lot of trout."

Anonymous

Pm Out

removed_by_request
02-05-2003, 11:10 PM
Way too much idle time.

pescaphile
02-06-2003, 12:50 AM
and my apologies if it is and I missed it.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." Henry David Thoreau

pmflyfisher
02-06-2003, 07:47 AM
MJYP

Not to much idle time, I just work a lot harder than 90% of the population and have some brains to go along with it.

Plus I care about contributing value to my fellow fly fishing forumn members colleagues.

Plus I love fly fishing and I thank you for your continous views of the posts. I hope they are providing value to you in your Master Plan to be the best fly fisherman you can be and fosters your knowledge of the beatutiful environs we pursue fly fishing within.

Best

PM Out

Tony Petrella
02-06-2003, 08:11 AM
Naaaaawwwww! I totally agree!

CapT

removed_by_request
02-06-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
MJYP

I hope they are providing value to you in your Master Plan to be the best fly fisherman you can be and fosters your knowledge of the beatutiful environs we pursue fly fishing within.

Best

PM Out

What makes one a better fisherman is fishing time, time spent in the river. Not waxing poetic over some long forgotten passages, meant to be enjoyed when one can no longer fish due to failing health or advanced old age.

Just 2 completely different schools of thought is all.

Pax

pmflyfisher
02-08-2003, 01:58 PM
Luck -- or chance, if you will is what makes angling a sport. If every element of fishing were predictable, it would becone an operation by rote and very little fun. Fishing, too is a great leveler; a fish, after all has no idea who's holding the fishing rod. Other things being equal, a banker and a beggar have the same chance of hooking a fish. Fishing is such a broad arena of chance and skill that no fisherman, regardless of skill, is immune from the effects of pure chance. Why, even I, when I went fishing with Lee Wulff, I wished him good luck !

Salmon - On a Fly - Lee Wulff - edited by John Merwin - Chapter 29 - Lucky or Smart ?

PM Out

SDHflyfisher
02-08-2003, 02:04 PM
that's why we call it fishing not catching

pmflyfisher
02-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Source: Grays Sporting Journal - The Fly Fishing Book - Volume Twenty Seven, Issue 1 -February/March 2002 - By Thaddeus Norris - Edited by Will Ryan

Excerpt from American Anglers Book - Thaddeus Norris - 1864

Now as in 1864, fly fishers know "alone" and "lonesome" are two very different things.

With many persons fishing is a mere recreation, a pleasant way of killing time. To the true angler, however, the sensation it produces is a deep unspoken joy, of a longing for that which is quiet and peaceful, and fostered by an inbred love of communing with nature, as he walks through grassy meades, or listens to the music of the mountain torrent. This is why he loves occassionally --whatever may be his social propensity indoors -- to shun the habitations and usual haunts of men, and wander alone by the stream, casting his flies over its bright waters: or in his lone canoe to skim the unruffled surface of the inland lake, where no sound comes to his ear but the wild, flute-like cry of the loon, and where no human form is seen but his own, mirrored in the glassy water.

No wonder then, then, that the fly fisher loves at times to take a day all by himself; for his very lonliness begets a comfortable feeling of independence and leisure, and a quiet assurance of resources within himself to meet all difficulties that may arise...

Thaddeus Norris (Uncle Thad) - American Angler Book - 1864 - 600 pages has gave him the recognitions as the father of american fly fishing. "His self conscious wonderment at the natural world suggests that he was touched by the same currents as Thoreau and other nature writers of the day. Norris fished to fill his soul, not his creel. But he was less about piety than peace of mind. He would no sooner forget his tobacco than Voelker would his bourbon. If the modern age leaves us living our lives in quiet desparation. Norris day of fishing tells of respite tha can come from an afternoon spent with some speckled friends in our beautiful streams".

Summary

Notice how at the end of a day fly fishing alone, no matter if you catch anything, how much more mentally relaxed you feel ?

You can look up more of Thaddeus Norris history on the net put in your search engine and you will find some nice sites with history.

Pm Out

peter-s-c
02-09-2003, 12:17 PM
First there's the quiet. I'm in a valley carved by watery violence, executed by the run-off from the last glaciation. Carved through the middle of a suburban heaven housing five million; I'm in my own world. Nothing makes a sound. The garrulous birds of summer have been supplanted by their wiser winter kin. Nothing wastes energy here. Even the river seems to have muted itself to the cold. All along its banks, ice has piled up, thrown with a casualness that reveals real power. I pick my way through. The new snow both blinds me and obscures the gaps that will snap a careless leg. Someone has walked before me and I trust in his tracks. At the river's edge, I scan water that might hold steelhead. I have no real way of knowing if they are there; faith alone propels me. I tie on hope and cast out my dream. In a while, consciousness reveals a light snow falling. My hood, my shoulders take on a freshness they don't deserve. I felt the cold at the truck, but now a warmth pervades that tells me I am alive again.

pmflyfisher
02-09-2003, 01:09 PM
PRICELESS us winter steelheaders all know and love those visions and emotions. No matter should a silver warrior be encountered, but should it, the day becomes especially memorable.

Perhaps a winter steelheader's vision quest ?

PM Out

Moonlight
02-09-2003, 01:45 PM
As a birthday present along time ago

"A fishing rod is a stick with a hook on one end and a fool at the other".

It hangs on the wall right next to the front door and the door bell.

removed_by_request
02-10-2003, 04:33 AM
Hal,

Perhaps you could quote the romans who extolled the joy of fishing.

Way too much idle time on your hands.

BobK
02-10-2003, 08:24 AM
What will we do when he RETIRES? He will fill up the boards!
But then, he has ALSO has dreams of being a "steelhead" bum. (I prefer John Gierach's idea of "Trout Bum" - kind of has more species covered.) Of course, there is his sharp spouse to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Thankfully, he still has kids to go to school, and a wife to ride herd on him. (I think she is the resident "accountant", too - thus the sad "true love" episode!)

Good cheer!
:D

BobK

Tony Petrella
02-10-2003, 09:19 AM
Nothing wrong with being a Troutbum--we even have a group HQ'd in Grayling, MI, NAMED the Troutbums. The "gang" comes from all over America and Britain, and meets at a 150-200-person TBBBQ (Troutbum Barbeque) in June every year. We float the AuSable River both day and night (Hex hatch!), have a fundraiser to help the fish and habitat, swap stories (a few might even be true) and generally have a grand time. Some attendees even have been known to sip single malt. You can even check out its website at troutbums.com. There's also a bamboo rod builders "conclave" held simultaneously. And every two years we raffle off the "Maker's Rod". It's extremely unique in that each strip of each section is crafted by a different "Maker". And, yes, they actually do fit together and cast just fine!

CapT

BobK
02-10-2003, 10:46 AM
A real Troutbum's organization! Sounds too good to be true!
I envy you.

Maybe you can get Hal to attend, too! Maybe even get him "active". Then maybe he won't have time for these "love affairs" that turn him to evil end.
:hehe:

Then maybe he will have less "much too much free time"!

BobK

Tony Petrella
02-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Well, Michigan's general trout opener is the last Saturday in April. But the flies-only, no-kill stretch of the AuSable (from Burton's Landing just east of Grayling to Wakeley Bridge --about 7 miles downstream) is open year-round.

Sounds like you should organize a trip up there and get to know the Troutbum crowd. We only have one rule in the club: Anybody who starts taking him/herself too seriously gets thrown in the river.

We've got terrific brown trout and brookie fishing--all wild fish. No Plastic Trout allowed! Lots of wade fishing, or you can hire an AuSable Longboat for a float. Black caddis, Henricksons, small black stones and lots of BWOs at that time of year.

There are several streamside B&Bs, as well.

Did you check out the web site?

CapT

pmflyfisher
02-10-2003, 01:35 PM
I have been to that web site but not in a while. Bob K should try the Ausable some day being a Catskills Beaverkill and Willowemuc bred fly fisher like me.

He could add another holy water to his fly fishing credentials. I have to get up their myself to the Ausable Holy waters its been awhile.

To many other michigan steelhead rivers between me and there which have prevented me from doing it.

PM Out

BobK
02-10-2003, 01:53 PM
Tony -
I missed the web site address ??? Pls. post it for me. (You know us "oldtimers" - we can't find anything! Even when it's right in front of us.)

What are the dates for this year? (As I am new to the area where I now reside, I can't count on "organizing a group. That's OK - I mix in quick. It sounds like a fun weekend.)

Are there any campsites in the area? You know how us retirees are on our "fixed incomes". (We laugh all the way to the bank.)

Now for Hal -

Hal - Spelling. It's the Willowemoc. With an "O".

Also, I'm just waiting for my son-in-law to get some time off (he's a "workaholic"). He wants to get up there (he's a Clarkson graduate) and wants to renew old memories fishing the NY Ausable.

BobK

pmflyfisher
02-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Bob,

The webstite is troutsman.com

As for the Willowemuc spelling lets just call it the "Willow" you know what I mean.

Ever fish the Rhodendron Pool/Runs ?

PM Out

SDHflyfisher
02-10-2003, 04:28 PM
i'd love to go but i'll be in CT at that time and i don't have a car to get there i'll have my license though maybe one year i'll make it there to the troutbum convention. this summer i tried to plan a trip to the NY ausable but we ended up going to the catskill instead. we went to see the old farm we used to stay in when we went to roscoe i still have the hat i got ten years ago and of course i got another one.

Tony Petrella
02-10-2003, 06:11 PM
The website is troutbums.com--not troutsman, etc.--THAT place is a fly shop in Traverse City that has nothing to do with troutbums!

The AuSable River in Michigan, which is where this weeklong deal is held, is a "friendly" river (in terms of wading and casting) that holds some very large trout.

Lots of state forest campgrounds around. And about a dozen more top-quality trout streams within the immediate proximity. It really is a fly angler's paradise--which is why I spend about half the year (most of trout season) there.

CapT

pmflyfisher
02-10-2003, 07:37 PM
Yes, thats right its troutbums.com .

Have not been back to visit it in a while, can only visit some many web sites.

There was not much activity going on there last time I looked. Nothing like the FFF for sure.

PM Out

removed_by_request
02-10-2003, 07:52 PM
I think that site is run by a local fly shop. They do many things for the river and its fish. Pretty sure they are located on the Ausable.

Not too many places in this world where you can walk right out the back door and try that new rod before you buy it.

Tony Petrella
02-10-2003, 08:51 PM
You're right, MJYP--the guy who mostly puts this on is Steve Southard. He and his family own The Fly Factory on the banks of the AuSable in downtown Grayling.

Yes, having a river right there does help anglers make their decision on rods!

CapT

BobK
02-10-2003, 09:04 PM
Hey, Hal - how 'bout that? At the "Flyfactory", you can try 'em just outside the door, then buy 'em. Give you any ideas, loverboy???

Let's see you procrastinate your way out of THIS one.

BobK:devil:

pmflyfisher
02-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Doubt if they would have the Lite Spey rods there but maybe. Where they are on the Ausable the steelhead cannot run due to the dam downstream onthe Ausable.

Plus its a 6 hour drive from me at least up to Grayling on the Ausable.

PM Out

Tony Petrella
02-10-2003, 10:09 PM
It's less than 2 hours' drive from The Fly Factory's door to steelhead water on the PM, Big River or AuSable below Oscoda Dam. Spey rods are sometimes in inventory, or can be in inventory in a day. I'm familiar with the place because I guide out of there in the summer and early fall.

I've played with speys a bit, myself. They're actually fairly popular up in MI--in a "niche" sort of way, perhaps, but I've had a nice turnout when I've given spey casting clinics. They can be a lot of fun.

CapT

BobK
02-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Let's see - Izaak Walton had Piscator, Venator..... but I don't seem to remember "Procrastinator" - or was he the dumb one???

Hmmm - a phone call and maybe they would have 'em in stock - then, maybe take the kids for a midwinter's drive??? And what better place than a fly shop to stop for a break???

C'mon, Hal, you can do BETTER than these lame excuses, if you really are "in love", you can arrange a tryst!:hehe:

BobK

Tony Petrella
02-11-2003, 07:56 AM
How true, how true!

Here's yet ANOTHER option. On March 8 & 9, at the Southfield Civic Center just north of Detroit (Southfield Freeway at I-696) there will be held the oldest fly-fishing-only consumer show in these Uuuuuuunited States! Virtually all of the major rodmakers will be there (I'll be there representing Temple Fork Outfitters), thee are two indoor casting ponds.

So, for a couple of bucks each day, you can while away a
late-winter weekend by casting every fly rod in existence! Plus, you can catch Gary Borger's talks, touch and drool over Bob Summers' new cane rods and Tom Clark's ancient ones (a Payne or Garrisson, maybe), and buy whatever tying materials you might need, want, or desire.

There will be about 70 vendors there, and it draws about 1,500 people each day.

So, Procrastinate THAT one, fellas!

CapT

pmflyfisher
02-11-2003, 08:32 AM
March 8th & 9th I will be winter steelheading some where after the mythical 15-20lb wild steelhead I have unsuccessfully pursued for 22 years now. This is the time for the big boys.

"I never ever give up"

Unlike others.

PM Out

BobK
02-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Procrastination, and more procrastination! Always the ready excuse!
I never personally plan past tomorrow, and HATE long, involved detailed planning. That way, you are FORCED to go on trips when conditions are wrong, weather is rotten, or the fishing will be better "yesterday" or "tomorrow".
That's why retirement is so much fun. Go on a moment's notice if you feel like it.
Yeah, for work, or war, you have to plan. But for fishing (and hunting), the best trips are spur-of-the-moment!

For "Acquiring" (as in "falling in love with a rod and buying it), if I see one I want, I sleep on it overnight to rationalize it, then next day, either buy it, or forget it. No "Chinese water torture", and forever "drip.......drip.......drip......drip...... ad nauseum.

Funny thing about "desire" and "acquire". You drool over the item, desire and admire it, hold it, and think about it constantly while getting the bucks together. Thoughts of "if only I had that when...." occur constantly.

Then you buy it. Now you own it and have acquired it. So you stick it in a storage case and forget about it until you use it. And you use it constantly until the next "love affair" comes up, then it resides in storage full time.:devil:

BobK

removed_by_request
02-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Southfield is worth the trip, you would finally get to test that rod.

You could shoot up there check out your rod, buy it and hit the PM for a real test.

That part of March is a bit too early for the big pigs unless you are fishing Indiana creeks.

The PM usually sees the big boys run a touch later. It usually is determined by snow melt. Weather looks like we won't see that any time soon.

If you want the big dogs you need to chase the Skamania, the little Man. fish are usually not that big. Which means Indiana creeks, using a Spey down there is criminal.

pmflyfisher
02-11-2003, 10:40 AM
A spey on indiana creeks. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

ROTFL

PM Out

removed_by_request
02-11-2003, 10:44 AM
Never know you might be the type of guy to try it.

pmflyfisher
02-11-2003, 11:15 AM
I have my 10 weight 9 foot glass custom made fenwick rod to crank the big boys out of there when needed.

PM Out

removed_by_request
02-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Thats overkill, way to obig. They are Steelhead not Tarpon.

Just need a 9' 7,8, or 9 is all.

pmflyfisher
02-11-2003, 12:17 PM
I have all of those too.

PM Out

removed_by_request
02-11-2003, 01:17 PM
And you are lamenting the purchase of one little spey rod.

Shame shame.

BobK
02-11-2003, 09:53 PM
Some guys are just never happy, even when they are in heaven!

You're right, mjyp. Way, way too much idle time!

BobK
02-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Okay, guys - here are the results!

Using my "averages" to run the calculation, at 102 votes we have 2244 years of fly fishing experience for all who responded. As I used averages, this number could be 10% high or low, at a maximum. (I would personally guess it's just about right!)

BobK

(PS - now maybe poor Hal can concentrate on telling us about why he needs another rod!)

SDHflyfisher
02-12-2003, 05:02 PM
PM just buy it already

pmflyfisher
02-15-2003, 11:29 PM
[QUOTE] They come from the sea with the first fall rains, they come with the snows and the come when the earth smells green. Over the bars and past the winkled half-tide rocks where sea perch and rust colored dabs drift across their secret paths in the kelp, they come in creeping, hesitant runs, then halting a though drugged by an osmotic change from years in distant deeps to that now now thin liquid forming an unlit street.

There are wraiths to be avoided -- a seal, an otter, or simply the shadows of the gulls. And in the precise rhythm born with time, as the tide swells in their favor, the silver phalanx runs boldly forward again to begin a journey that may last hundreds of miles, where the hen will violently tail her natal stones to hide golden pearls of spawn before she is spent and dark with winter's chill.

Another color emerges too. The bright armor forged in the Pacific has long given way to a growing lateral band -- the red badge of courage that is the rainbow trout's. The male steelhead is newly toothed in grotesque jaws, a fierce visage, a primitive war mask for the strength he no longer enjoys. But then the rainbow is a fish of many faces; and while we may forever debate the proposition, it has only one peer as a freshwater gamefish -- the Atlantic Salmon. [QUOTE]

McClanes Angling World - A.J. McClane - 1986
The Red Badge of Courage.

removed_by_request
02-16-2003, 03:30 AM
The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people who can write know anything.
Walter Bagehot (1826 - 1877)

pmflyfisher
02-16-2003, 03:00 PM
I did not know he was a fly fisherman and an economist.

:devil:

PM Out

removed_by_request
02-16-2003, 04:59 PM
Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.

Didn't know that was a criteria.

Tony Petrella
02-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Of course, the undisputed heavyweight champion of all the world, author of the all-time ultimate fishing quote, is John Voelker (a.k.a. Robert Traver), of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

If you haven't read his "Testament of a Fisherman," shame on you. Beg, borrow--even steal a copy, if you must, at your earliest opportunity.

I will make merely a few observations here from his "Testament..."

"I fish because I love to. Because I love the environs where trout are found--which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environ where crowds of men are found--which are invariably ugly..."

..."because of the telephone calls, cocktail parties and other assorted forms of social posturing I thus aviod..."

..."because only on a trout stream can I find solitude without lonlieness..." And I won't spoil your fun by quoting any more. I have a copy pinned above my desk. It never lets me forget what's important.

CapT

I

pmflyfisher
02-17-2003, 12:11 PM
Tony,

Of course I did not forget Robert Traver look earlier in this thread.

He is one of my favorites. BTW, the last Trout Unlimited magazine has pictures of his Frenchman's Pond. Cool, little wil dbrookie trout pond in UP.

Pm Out

removed_by_request
02-17-2003, 02:13 PM
Rest in Peace
This past fall I was fishing "The Pool" on a small river in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia for Atlantic Salmon. I need not say where, as we all know "The Pool", and its reputation. A number of bright, large salmon had moved in overnight and the fishing promised to be memorable. When I arrived, I noticed only one other person. He was an older gentleman, in his seventies I speculated, and he had just started down the pool. His casts were long and graceful with so little effort. The rhythm of his movements and the beauty of the scene were hypnotic. His experience and dedication to the art were obvious and I was moved to sit quietly on the bank and just watch. After five or six casts, and on his last retrieve, there was a huge swirl of water and we both saw the dorsal fin of what was surely a 20 lb. Atlantic Salmon.

I knew from previous experience that this was a taking fish, likely to be hooked on the next cast. Just then however, a funeral procession started across the bridge about seventy yards downstream. The elderly gentleman reeled in his line and stepped out of the water. He stood at military attention with his rod smartly at his side and doffed his cap waiting there until the slow procession passed across the bridge and out of sight. He quickly replaced his cap and began stripping line as he made his way back into the water.

I was moved by this display and yet curious. I approached the gentleman and remarked that he must have known the deceased quite well to have possibly lost the opportunity to hook and land the large fish he had raised. He replied "Yes, and if she had lived until next Tuesday, we would have been married 53 years

That should keep you busy........................

sageman
02-17-2003, 08:47 PM
"God doesn't count the days you fish against you."

Curt Gowdy said that to me as an impressionable youth about 18 years ago. I'm sure others have said it before and after, but none with as much meaning.

juro
02-17-2003, 09:20 PM
Always been a big fan of Mr.Gowdy! I grew up thinking... I wanna job just like him! ;)

Must have been cool to have known him... tell us more!

sageman
02-18-2003, 09:51 AM
I didn't really know him.

One afternoon at the jewelry store in Boston where I worked, he came in. The owner of the store knew how much I loved to fish. So he introduced me to him.

I think my first sentence I said to him was just garbled words.

I did get to talk to him for about a 1/2 hour about all kinds of topics. Including Ted Williams, salmon fishing and his TV show. I remember that was my second favorite show on the weekend, of course after the Creature Double Feature.

Like I said I still recall it like yesterday.

juro
02-18-2003, 10:03 AM
Ah yes the Creacha double feacha - was that channel 38 or 56? I never could get into Dark Shadows though.

Ted Williams was at the Hynes for the sportsmans shows during those years. I remember how I re-hooked a cheaply sliced pork rind at the trout pool so that it pulsed like frog legs when twitched and caught fish after fish including the "golden" trout. Of course I was fishing free because my friend Bill knew the manager and I was ineligible for the prize money. You remember things like that when you're a kid. Well ever since then I would find the skinniest slice of pork rind and re-hook it in the middle so it kicked like a frog, and have let my kids score bigtime at the trout pool with that family secret. The Hynes has gotten so fancy I don't suppose you'd see a trout pool there anymore.

henryville huck
06-23-2005, 03:32 PM
"Over the hill to Henryville,
Tis oft the fisherman's cry,
For I'll catch a fourteen-incher,
With an artificial fly!"

Henry Van Dyke (1852-1933)

Dble Haul
06-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Holy blast from the past, Batman!! :eek: :Eyecrazy: :hihi:

pmflyfisher
06-23-2005, 07:10 PM
My god the old quote thread lives on.

Hope all is well fellow fly fishers just surfed in here and was not sure if the old ID would work.

Heres another quote not sure, it may be in this thread somewheres.

"Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job."

Paul Schullery

Cheers

Dble Haul
06-24-2005, 08:00 AM
Again, with pmflyfisher stopping in, I have to say...

Holy blast from the past, Batman!!

:D

Good to hear from you. :wink:

dewey
06-27-2005, 09:56 PM
I, for one, am happy to see this thread back up top...

Natrix just posted this in the Saltwater Tying forum and I think it says a lot about the bad and good in our sport these days... It's by Austin Legler (not sure who that is , maybe natrix himself?). Check out the whole piece in the "tying- a political statement" thread.

"...Everything is for sale these days. Apparently there are enough people out there who are willing to pay (but not to much) for the experience of fishing, and that has always seemed just a little to easy to me. There is something about having spent my youth fishing with crummy equipment, getting wet caus I didn’t have waders and using flies tied from road kill that I think gives me the right pick on those of you who just walked out of he Orvis store and are on your way to the Madison R. to find your soul in some quasi religious moment you imagined your self in after seeing the movie. Buddy it aint there. Its in your heart, in the time spent on the rock pile, washed through the hole, swimming white water in your waders in the dark with your dog, blood and sweat and hardship, split shot in the back of the head, barbed wire cuts, and run ins with the odd angry bull, rattle snakes, nasty looks from the other half ,and the pitiful look from your dog freezing and wet in the back of the drift boat as you row in to the teeth of one more October blizzard....."

to me all that hardship IS the religious experience everyone is shopping for.

chromer
06-27-2005, 10:17 PM
I'm with you all the way brother! (except for the split shot) :)

nasty looks from the other half send shivers down my spine :hihi: :rolleyes:

pmflyfisher
06-28-2005, 06:52 PM
I might just stop back every week for this thread.

Heres another one:

"The biggest things a steelheader or atlantic salmon fisherman can have--not counting waders and a stipend--are a big arm and a room temperature IQ"

Thomas McGuane - Harpers Magazine - 1984

FYI: I am somewhat over my 24 year steelheading obsession now moving slowly into saltwater and warmwater fly fishing. It feels good too but am still playing with the spey rods for steelhead, salmon, and trout.

Cheers

PM

henryville huck
07-07-2005, 12:14 PM
"Thaddeus Norris is perhaps the most famous of these early Brodhead regulars. His signature is found in the old registers of Henryville House as early as 1851, and he wrote of the Brodheads in considerable detail in his 'American Angler's Book', which appeared in 1864 and firmly established him as the father of American fly-fishing literature. James Henry was then the proprietor of Henryville House, and his son Luther often accompanied Norris on the river. The prose of the legendary Norris has a curious cadence in our ears, patterned on the fishing dialogues fashionable after [Izaak] Walton, and in one passage he exclaims to his young disciple Luther Henry: 'What pretty bright trout there are in this bold rock creek! It would be called a river in England, and so it is!' "

from "Remembrances of Rivers Past" by Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

Journeyman
07-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."

-- Thoreau

How true.

journeyman

henryville huck
08-06-2005, 11:56 AM
"The last season before his death - after ninety-odd years as a market hunter and poacher of fearsome skills - the legendary Henryville Charlie Ross sprawled with me in the shade below the Upper Twin Pool and talked about the past. His memories of the river were rich and varied. Calvin Coolidge failed with flies he borrowed from an old poacher but finally caught two Henryville trout on nightcrawlers. Theodore Roosevelt and Gifford Pinchot had also visited Henryville House and had excellent luck with flies and their elegant split-cane rods.

Roosevelt and Pinchot could fish! Henryville Charlie had austere standards for politicians. Coolidge couldn't.

The old riverkeeper also remembered Buffalo Bill and Annie Oakley who came to Henryville House both to fish and demonstrate their marksmanship on the rolling lawns. Henryville Charlie had helped transfer their baggage from the train depot and guided them on the river. He remembered the mountainous pile of baggage he finally assembled on the Henryville porch. There were leg-of-mutton gun cases and leather rod-luggage and boxes of targets and special ammunition in addition to steamer trunks and suitcases, and a small crowd gathered in awe.

Annie Oakley warn't no beauty, the old poacher winked and his time-faded eyes twinkled with humor, but she sure had hell's own pile of trunks for a plain woman!"

from "Remembrances of Rivers Past" by Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

FlyAlf
08-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Tale for his Hardy fishing rod, Juhani Aho - "Small fish and large fish", around 1950?

" Our ancestors left the deceased's weapon and tools along the dead in their tombs. May my sons put this rod along my side in the coffin, so that I may cast it in the lovely rivers that I believe to be found in the glorious heavens. For what else is there to do? Those who do not understand this must learn. Shouldn’t also I be allowed to sing my love according to my mind?”

My apologies for the language and grammar - translated from Swedish by me, and the original is Finland (I am Norwegian). I dont know if this has been translated to other than Swedish. Please let me know if you have knowlegde, or proposes improvements :wink: .