thread killing prowess [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: thread killing prowess

Sprocket
06-12-2002, 08:39 PM
is there any prize or bragging rights for the "most threads killed"

I'll bet I'm good - probably the highest percentage of post vs. kills...

Have keyboard, will travel.

fredaevans
06-12-2002, 08:47 PM
$10 bucks says I change the course of 'thread' better than you do. Nana, Nana, Nana. (Did I spell that right?:devil: )

Actually that 80% of the fun of the Board, were will this thing go?
FE:D

Juro gets to be the only judge, and gets to hold the money ... as long as it's not PayPal'ed; 30 day bet. :>) Still no clue on how to use that thing. Bothers me to give a complete 'stranger' the number to my "sweep" bank account card number. (Juro, second plug for just take my cashiers check for the darn hats for Joan and I :) )
fe

John Desjardins
06-12-2002, 08:54 PM
"$10 bucks says I change the course of 'thread' better than you do. Nana, Nana."

Fred online gambling, what would Joan think?

There,:hehe::hehe: topic changed and thread killed in seven words.

fredaevans
06-12-2002, 08:59 PM
except on a 'sure thing.":smokin:
fe

Chris
06-12-2002, 09:15 PM
You realize this one will never die.

I've often felt I was the curse of the thread. You can have the honor? though if you like .

Looks like someone is going to have to go back and see who holds the prize for being the last to post a reply on a thread. Do we really want to know?

I don't think swinging the conversation off on some far out tangent is the same as killing it dead though JD.

John Desjardins
06-12-2002, 09:31 PM
Ok Fred, Sprocket has a good method to define thread killing so how do you propose to quantify thread changing prowess? Come up with something good for the techies & engineers here to argue about.

fredaevans
06-12-2002, 10:46 PM
to there. Thread starts going with 'what-ever' and ends up in LaLa Land. The true beauty of the Board.

Should the 'common folk' have a vote? Maybe Juro needs to start a poll.:devil:
fe

old man
06-13-2002, 12:20 AM
You know that I thought that I had the power to do just that. I would answer a thread with something that some one didn't like and then that thread would just sit there and die.

I've did that on other sites but I haven't killed anything here yet. But what wrote previously will probly do it.

I really like a challange. Jim S. The other Jim S.:hehe:

DFix
06-13-2002, 07:27 AM
I believe I have room to enter this competition :eek:

Sprocket
06-13-2002, 07:30 AM
To be clear:
I have noticed on this, and another BB, that my postings usually end all discussion of a thread - no more posts on the topic. Hence "thread killer".

Fred does have an interesting view though - thread changing! It starts about a fly pattern ends up about little league baseball...what the?

If you look at my total posts, how many of them are the last one on a given thread? I'd say better than 30% (or close to it).

Old man: I almost didn't reply :D

I've also consulted a 5yo and it's "Na na, nuna na"

this has got to be a winter topic...I'm going fishing! See Ya!

DFix
06-13-2002, 07:41 AM
by posting your reply and then saying "I'm going fishing" - that's a cheap try at shutting this down :tsk_tsk:

John Desjardins
06-13-2002, 08:30 AM
I don't think that there is a way to define the best thread changer because it takes at least 2 to tango.

Now back to Sprockets question. I see a couple of different types of thread killing methods. There's the nobody has anything left to say thread killer exemplified by this post to a really wandering thread. http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/showthread.php?s=&postid=40371#post40371
Then theres the power slam as exemplified by this post which no dared to answer. http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/showthread.php?s=&postid=41039#post41039

In the spirit of that last post I'll try to kill this thread with this offer.
If anyone is willing to handle the collection, I'll handle the shipping.

DFix
06-13-2002, 08:39 AM
regarding your last...

John Desjardins
06-13-2002, 08:55 AM
Chris was right this one won't die . Dave I'll e-mail you later today.

Lefty
06-13-2002, 11:13 AM
Friends, I'm in a class all by myself. Just look at the "Windmills In Nantucket Sound" thread. 6 replies (a couple by me) and kasplat..dead. We haven't heard a peep from the originator since.:D

Another way to hose a thread is make a personal remark. For instance in the middle of a thread about "Flats Lane stomping and Worm hatch hook ups" come out with a comment like: "So Jimo...that was a nice fish you caught out there...too bad the shuttle boat prop cut you off...See you thrusday at the FQDD Diner wink wink..."

That will kill a thread dead.

Lefty

fredaevans
06-13-2002, 12:32 PM
at least 'screen credits' or 'honorable mentions' in both of the above posts.:smokin:

"Now back to Sprockets question. I see a couple of different types of thread killing methods. There's the nobody has anything left to say thread killer exemplified by this post to a really wandering thread. http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyt...40371#post40371

And that was a very ugly fly! :>)

Then there's the power slam as exemplified by this post which no dared to answer. http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyt...41039#post41039 "

Well, I thought about it .... some.
fe

DFix
06-13-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
Friends, I'm in a class all by myself. Just look at the "Windmills In Nantucket Sound" thread. 6 replies (a couple by me) and kasplat..dead. We haven't heard a peep from the originator since.:D

Another way to hose a thread is make a personal remark. For instance in the middle of a thread about "Flats Lane stomping and Worm hatch hook ups" come out with a comment like: "So Jimo...that was a nice fish you caught out there...too bad the shuttle boat prop cut you off...See you thrusday at the FQDD Diner wink wink..."

That will kill a thread dead.

Lefty

Terry, I agree with some thead killers, but the windmills, no, don't agree. I thought about mentioning the discussion conducted on FFSW, because it didn't last very long there, either, though the discussion WAS interesting. I hoped it would raise more interest here, pro and con. I think the Otis idea is very smart.

re: 'dinner and drinks' at Pop's Diner...who can stop it.

Gee Sprocket, whooodathuuunk you'd get this kinda mileage out of a threadkiller?

striblue
06-13-2002, 01:05 PM
This is critical:http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/ups/kamikaze/smiliehero.gif and this...http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/edoom/urinate.gif

Adrian
06-13-2002, 01:11 PM
I always felt a bit embarrased whenever I posted what I felt was a though provoking comment only to find it the last breath on the subject. Makes one inclined to check armpits and breath - "I did remember the deodorant this morning didn't I??":rolleyes:

Then there is that other category of the invisible post. You know, the one where you think you have clearly contirbuted a valid point to a thread but no one notices until someone two posts later comes up with the same answer and everyone says "yeah that's right...".:eyecrazy:

Anyway, I own up to and apologize to everyone for being a (at least occaisional) thread killer and disruptor of the directional integrity of otherwise well focused electronic discussion.

DFix
06-13-2002, 01:47 PM
Adrian, I think many of us have felt that way at one time or another regarding intelligent input. It really makes one wonder if there's any relevancy to the reply, then a bit of aggravation from the recognition of it through another post/other way.

take John's post above, for example. It is very clear in it's statement of "relax, lighten up, because it really doesn't matter, etc." and he's right, but Todd's question AT MINIMUM deserves to be carried out as far as possible, so he doesn't think he's a thread-killer:rolleyes:

My apologies, as well, for any contributory diversion from subject matter in threads.

fredaevans
06-13-2002, 02:02 PM
thread," then Stub. gets 10 fast points for the above.LOVED IT!

How'd you pull that one off????????
fe

flyfisha1
06-13-2002, 02:10 PM
... do I get some sort of achievement award for that? How about figuring up a ratio of number of posts vs. number of threads killed? With my current low number of posts and high number of killers, I should be out in front by quite a healthy margin! Yeah, Striblue, that was hilarious!

striblue
06-13-2002, 02:15 PM
Fred.... see ..www.smilecwm.com......http://216.40.201.38/contrib/monsieurboo/overpape2.gif

jborkowski
06-13-2002, 04:52 PM
NOTE:

THIS THREAD STOPS HERE.

do NOT read further for FEAR of DEATH!!!!

Lefty
06-13-2002, 07:38 PM
nope..didn't work.
So anyway I was fishing this flat the other day....

Smcdermott
06-13-2002, 08:04 PM
We all know this was a ingenious scheme to gain the record for the longest running thread. Well done!

Sean

striblue
06-13-2002, 08:53 PM
Terry... 1969 posts to 1321.... your falling further behind:devil:

Adrian
06-13-2002, 08:57 PM
Since this looks like it will go the distance...

note to Sean/Juro - is there an architectural limit in the BB software to the number of posts in a thread?

I would expect some power of "2"

MarkDoogue
06-14-2002, 12:32 AM
I'm far too stubborn not to be the final person on this thread.

I hate to say this, but, I don't get to fish so the ball is in my court.

Go catch your "cows," I'll be on the internet!!!

Lefty
06-14-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by striblue
Terry... 1969 posts to 1321.... your falling further behind:devil:

John,

Ya but we're talking MEANINGFUL posts, not the sheer number. I succeed at the former.

Lefty

This is the last word. Thread closed.

Sprocket
06-14-2002, 09:15 AM
first: When I wrote "I'm going fishing", I meant it. report to follow

second: anybody else notice that it's only those with thread killing ability are responding here? Looks like we'll need a new moderator...

lastly: I wasn't talking about intentional kills, only those replies with honest to God good intentions that leave only dust & crickets chirping...

striblue
06-14-2002, 09:22 AM
Todd..my confused face.....http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/edoom/theyareontome.gif

DFix
06-14-2002, 10:05 AM
The confusing face is confusing me - I thought for sure Mark Doogue's reply would kill this, even after hoping Todd would kill it himself, but he went fishing:(

Striblue's taken to violent acts of retaliation, Todd's catching fish on an eel pattern (Who tied it, by the way?)...what else could possibly be happening???

There's a hold-up in the Bronx
Brooklyn's broken out in fights
There's a traffic jam in Harlem that's backed up to Jackson Heights
There's a Scout troop short a child
Krushchev's due at Idlewild...

Car 54, where are you ????:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

striblue
06-14-2002, 10:18 AM
Violent? ...me?... with Todd?.... Dave, you know I am a lover not a fighter.;)

DFix
06-14-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by striblue
Violent? ...me?... with Todd?.... Dave, you know I am a lover not a fighter.;)

No, not with Todd,,,with that awful chain saw massacre you performed on poor, defenseless little me:eek: :eek: (guess Terry was wrong , too:rolleyes: )

Dble Haul
06-14-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by DFix
Car 54, where are you ????:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

I hope that Car 54 is with the Tangent Police. :hehe:

old man
06-14-2002, 10:34 AM
Well we went from closing a thread to police work. Well done. Jim S. :hehe:

Adrian
06-14-2002, 10:59 AM
.....and the Yankees play the Mets at Shae this week-end. Will they deliberately hit Clements like he beamed poor old Piaza last season?

Hold onto your seats boys & grils, things are hotting up either side of the East River!

Sprocket
06-14-2002, 02:15 PM
John - why the confused face? what's wrong with the one you normally wear - oh. Nevermind. ;)

Dave - it happened to be the last bug I tyed at UFT W/ Mr. Murphy, the same one you twisted my cranky arm to sit my cranky arse down to tie, the same one that found my only keeper on the fly earlier this year (or ever so far...).

sadly - I must strip it and re-tie, shredded to hell, like this thread.

and speaking of this thread - there's no crying in baseball, no baseball in fly fishing and no fly fishing for me until Tues. eve. unless I can hitch a ride with anybody who is silly enough to read the above dribble so eloquently preserved digitally for the future masses to enjoy...yes I thought so.

I may stretch a line with Dad on Sunday but probably just show him how to rig all his new soft plastics.

DFix
06-14-2002, 03:07 PM
Todd - please help; answer the above - I'm still confused. Should we wait for anyone else?:eyecrazy:

striblue
06-14-2002, 03:14 PM
http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/constrector/waglleybooty.gif

Sprocket
06-15-2002, 09:05 AM
Only if you and the "Master of Emoticons" stop posting...

I did the math:
178 posts, 32 are the last of the thread
that's roughly a 20% kill ratio

old man
06-15-2002, 12:01 PM
I just did the figures. I'm a dad a grand-dad and a great grandpa. And I still can't get anybody to take me any place so I'm going to take my self fishing. Look out N/Fork of the Stilly Jim S. :D :D :p

flyfisha1
06-15-2002, 12:43 PM
42 posts, 13 are killers, giving me a 31% average... batting .310; come to think of it, that's not so good:confused:

John Desjardins
06-15-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by flyfisha1
42 posts, 13 are killers, giving me a 31% average... batting .310; come to think of it, that's not so good:confused:

What would a .310 batting average be worth in major league baseball?

Striblue, what is that last emoticon tellling me? :confused:

Sprocket
06-15-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Sprocket
and speaking of this thread - there's no crying in baseball, no baseball in fly fishing and no fly fishing for me until Tues. eve. unless I can hitch a ride with anybody who is silly enough to read the above dribble so eloquently preserved digitally for the future masses to enjoy...yes I thought so.

stats are o.k. but please, please no baseball - can't stand the "sport" since the strike all them years ago..."I can't survive on a million five!" yeah right, DILLIGAF?

places: good luck OM

fisha: looks like you're high man for now...

old man
06-15-2002, 07:04 PM
About a $1.50.:razz: :razz: :devil:

Sprocket
06-16-2002, 03:18 PM
JM, can I borrow your "confused face" - OM is puzzleing indeed.

DFix
06-17-2002, 08:16 AM
Hello, hello - is anyone there??? Can someone figure out my stats, please - I'm still confused :eyecrazy: ( ya thought it was dead, huh??? - think again ! :devil: )

Sprocket
06-17-2002, 10:23 AM
[insert seath durge here]

sorry Dave, impressive stats but I think it's fittting for me to ends this dribble.

finis`

Lefty
06-17-2002, 10:46 AM
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/flamethrower.gif

That's what I say to this thread. Toast.

Lefty

Sprocket
06-17-2002, 02:24 PM
yeah, toast.
ended.
kaputski.
over like the Posidon.
finished like the 2000 boston marathon.
closed like a Packy on Sunday.

Hawkeye
06-17-2002, 04:30 PM
Would it be fair for a moderator to post and then lock a thread? And is anything truly dead if it lives on in our and the server's memories?

All this talk of killing and death is bringing me down I propose we start a campaign promoting catch and release for our threads. Sometimes it's just not healthy to play with a thread too long and we should learn to let them go so we may enjoy them another day.

Adrian - don't be put off by someone else making the same point as you later in a thread before the point is recognized. It's just a matter of timing and presentation. Try varying the depth and speed of your presentation. Sometimes it's tough to read the various currents of a thread but with time you'll be a master I'm sure. You certainly are with the long wand.

Lefty
06-17-2002, 07:36 PM
Hey Gregg,

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/flamethrower.gif
Just kidding, that was actually pretty cool

flyfisha1
06-17-2002, 09:27 PM
Hawkeye,
Dude, that's heavy!

Sprocket
06-18-2002, 12:37 PM
Hawk: no, moderator shut-down is an unfair advantage and I think it's actually his/her job to kill inappropriate threads so it would just be considered part of the job...

...or euthinasia in this case.