Hayman Fire [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hayman Fire

Brad
06-12-2002, 08:22 AM
I do not know how much you all have seen on the news about the Hayman fire but it is the largest fire in CO state history and is still 0% contained. It was started by a campfire in an area with a no fire ban in effect. It has completly engulfed cheesman resevoir and has burned much of the gold medal water below the dam. This will have a significant impact on that fishery for years to come. Luckly I have not heard of any serious injuries or significant loss of buildings. Here is a two day old map of the fire perimeter. http://images.ibsys.com/2002/0610/1505226.jpg
If you travel out west please be aware of the dry conditions.

old man
06-12-2002, 10:26 AM
I heard on the NEWS last night that the area was bigger than the city of Seattle. That is really big. Sorry to hear that the State of Colorado is going up in flames.

John Desjardins
06-12-2002, 11:20 AM
Hi Brad, That is a disturbing fire. It's pretty country that its burning through. The map shows the fire moving in the general direction of Denver, Do the news sources think that this will be brought under control before it gets to more populated regions? I've heard reports of the smoke being heavy up in Boulder, any validity?

Brad
06-12-2002, 12:40 PM
John, I think 5,000 people have already been evacuated and depending on the weather there could be more to come. The fire is still pretty far from denver but it could quickly move into more populated areas. The winds are calm now so they can get the slurry bombers in but the winds are expected to pick up this afternooon. The fire has been moving so fast that they cannot get firefighters in ahead of the fire to fight it. There is not much they can do to fight this fire it is up to Mother Nature. We had bad smoke and ash falling Sunday but the last couple of days it was blowing east over denver. The smoke clouds are so big that they have been creating their own weather pattern and thunderstorms.

John Desjardins
06-12-2002, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the info Brad. I hope that mother nature cooperates with putting out the fire.

pmflyfisher
06-12-2002, 04:35 PM
Here is a picture courtesy of NASA satellites

Looks bad, one thing good about the midwest we donot ever have to deal with forest fires.