Lobster Flyies...really [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Lobster Flyies...really

Lefty
06-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Has anyone here ever really used them? I have a great location for them to try. Local tier Richard Murphy's pattern looks ok. I noticed Striblue has one in the fly archive. After handling thousands of lobsters as a lobster fisherman I'd like to change the colors to some royal blue and olive. And I also noticed a palmered hackle is used for the body. Why not spun deer hair? I think I have a new project to fool around with.
Anyone really fish em?

Lefty

nathansmith
06-11-2002, 03:08 PM
honestly I think they are a waste of time unless you are using lobster as chum. They are hard to cast and tie and I doubt they are more effective then a crab pattern. I believe they will work and have heard of people using them but unless you are the a striperblue level tying addict I would tye up some clousers and crabs and have at it.

Hawkeye
06-11-2002, 03:11 PM
Ditto. Pain to tye and worse to cast. After you accomplish those things you discover the darn thing doesn't even approach looking alive. (At least for me.)

flyfisha1
06-11-2002, 03:25 PM
Could someone post a pic of an example?

jimo
06-11-2002, 03:29 PM
You'll get no arguement out of me about tying or casting a lobster fly ,but they can be really hot in the right environment.
When I lived in Rockport ma. I would buy the cabalas crawfish fly #2 orange/brown color . Toss it along the rocks or into a hole and boom stripers all over it. I tried several times to tie a larger size but it always looked more like something that a fish puked up than a lobster. So if anyone finds a decent pattern I'ld love to try lobster flies inthe canal.
Jimo

Dble Haul
06-11-2002, 03:31 PM
Here's the pic that was originally posted by StriBlue. You can also do a search for "lobster" in the fly archive where this was and get the same.

Bob Pink
06-11-2002, 03:46 PM
Terry,
I'd guss that the spun hackle is better than deer body hair because it is less bouyant. The darn flies are tough enough without having to add additional stabilizing weight to the shank to offset the spun deer body......
No, I've never fished one.... yet!

striblue
06-11-2002, 04:40 PM
Terry, I have never fished mine and don't know when I will, May try them this summer, but I agree with Bob, Spun deer hair may not help in getting them to the bottom unless there is a larger weight.

jared
06-11-2002, 05:18 PM
Terry --

deer hair is too buoyant...i tie mine w/ hackle or if i'm doing the shellback version (my current preference) one can also use palmered zonker...

i must respectfully disagree with some previous posts...they are not too difficult to tie, and under the right conditions can be absolutely DEADLY for big bass.

--j

Lefty
06-11-2002, 08:31 PM
Well you guys make sense about the deer hair. It's just that that body looks like a fur ball.

Jared- got pics? Love to see your lobsta. A friend recently saw a documentary film about stripers and it showed a baby lobster poke it's body out of a small rock cave.A nearby striper swooped in and snatched it at lightning speed. I got a spot I'd like to try that pattern on up here. I will gladly field test all patterns:smokin:

Lefty

juro
06-11-2002, 08:40 PM
You can also use ramswool as they do for sculpin heads out west. It 'spins' like hair but is not bouyant. One downside - heavy as heck in the air, but so are many striper flies. I recall seeing good lobster colors out there. Might ask Northfk on the steelhead board, he will have a good idea what's available.

billl
06-12-2002, 01:37 PM
Dan Bailey's/SAAP/Caps Body Fur palmered tight along the shank will give you the effect you want from deer hair without the bouyancy, and with less water retention than wool.

It is something like antron woven onto a braided cord that can be palmered onto the shank and then trimmed to shape. You can wrap several colors at the same time to get a nice blend, and it is really fast.

here's one link i found:
http://www.about-flyfishing.com/library/weekly/aa030102a.htm

You might also consider synthetic yarns? - here's a nice page that shows a body buildup approach that would work well for lobster bodies:
http://members.shaw.ca/clives/PHENTEX_HEAD.html

Every now and then I'll be surprised by a lobster casually walking along a clean sandy bottom with no rocks anywhere near the place - hard to believe they would go unnoticed by a bass.

bill