ATTENTION: Big Brother Mentors [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: ATTENTION: Big Brother Mentors

juro
06-10-2002, 03:01 PM
Here is the checklist so far:

Coordination with Big Brothers (90% complete, need headcount)
Reservations (DONE juro)
Recruitment of Mentors (DONE juro)
Fly Casting Training Program typed up and distributed (Juro)
Confirmation of tackle availability (All)
Pre-event review with mentors meeting?
Hour by hour schedule of day - (DONE juro)
Communication plans cell, radios, etc (open)
Weather contingencies - needed
First aid kits - confirm
safety glasses - needed
Selection of tokens to award - (DONE striblue, nick, chrisd)

Looking at the above, we need:

- inventory of rods and gear
- confirmation of first aid
- discussion of weather contingencies
- safety glasses approach
- mentor activities plan

Inventory: If you are on the mentor list, can you please confirm w/ the rods you are bringing? Ideally we would average 1 flyrod and 1 spinrod per trio.

Confirmation of first aid: I propose that all mentors carry a basic first aid kit.

Safety Glasses: Home Depot has $3 clear polycarb safety glasses. We can either each buy one as a mentor, or I can go pick up a dozen and bring them down. How should we do this?

Mentor activities: In addition to the 5am early bird outing, are those who have a long drive planning to crash somewhere? Maybe we could consolidate accomodations?

Weather contingencies: If there is a threat of Tstorms, we should post-pone. If very windy but workable, we should do it anyway and only flycast where no cross-wind occurs, perhaps focusing on spin gear. If there is light rain? Heavy rain? Opinions?

Communication plan: We could use someone to coordinate cell phone numbers, list of people with handheld radios, etc. Any volunteers?

Any other issues for discussion at this stage in the game?

Nick
06-10-2002, 03:07 PM
Juro,
I can bring
1x 8wt
1x 9wt
and most likely a spinning rod.
1 small first aid kit as well.

I can also keep track of this in a spreadsheet if you want.
Replies to this thread I'll keep tallied.

As far as safety glasses, I can grab a few pairs from work I'm sure. As long as I bring them back, it'll be no prob. I don't think we have a dozen though.

Nick

Roop
06-10-2002, 03:12 PM
Nice job, as usual.

- I'm in for a #8 & #9 fly rod + 1 very cool spinning rod :hehe:
- will pack first aid kit
- will bring 2 pairs safety glasses
- 5 AM start? let me know, don't have time to check all threads

- mentors should probably be ready to provide their big & little brothers with water & snacks when on the water as well

- let me know what you need help with

*** GUYS BUY SAFETY GLASSES & BRING THEM - JURO SPENDS ENOUGH OF HIS MONEY ON FORUM RELATED STUFF - DON"T BE CHEAP!!!

Nick
06-10-2002, 03:19 PM
On the food note...

Bringing snacks and water is a good idea. There was rumors of a picnic...is that still happening? I don't want Juro buying that food either.

Nick

Hawkeye
06-10-2002, 03:36 PM
Estey clan:

3 10wts and at least one spin rod. We will have our "new" boat down there and can transport picnic gear if needed. We could also do some grocery shopping. I will pick up a few safety glasses.

striblue
06-10-2002, 03:38 PM
I will bring safety glasses... I may have some extra... also are we having a cook out or is this a picnic on the beach or dunes? I was planning on fishing the light house at4:30 first... What time do we meet up with the boys and their big brothers... are they planning a 5 am outing first? I will also have a spinning rod( If we need others Roop has a ton of them) and I am planning on bringing my oldest son to help out with everyone... ride the circuit. I will have cell phone..two-way radio... first aid kit and food... but need to know what we are planning..idividual sandwiches etc...Chatham Provisions makes great sandwiches... I will bring thermos of Coffee, etc ... and My pocket fish finder naturally..... For a break I thought I would do an arrow head hunt..looking for shell midens... They are difficult to find but possible... Shell finding hunt...you know...one of each. There will be plenty to do.

Adrian
06-10-2002, 04:01 PM
Awesome job Juro!

Oh-kee-doh-kee - here's my list:

2 x 9wt outfits

1 x Spin Gear

Spare polaroids + safety glasses.

Spare Headware (Peaked Caps)

First Aid kit - Antiseptic ointment, plasters, etc.

Water / Snacks / Sandwiches (lunch plans - get together???)

Cell Phone

Sun Block!!!

Bug Spray

Camera

Rain: Wet Weather gear pre-requisite? I can probably stuff in a couple of lightweight plastic rain tops in case anyone turns up without one.

As long as its safe (no lightning threats) then stick it out unless its gets too bad.

*** I Can Coordinate communications if no-one else wants the job. Just email me your cell number before Midnight Thursday and I will broadcast the contact list first thing Friday morning. I hope to be travelling up to the cape on Friday with no web access so Thursday would be the cut-off if that works. ???*****

juro
06-10-2002, 04:07 PM
Almost have the word doc done and sent out - today for sure.

BB's are bringing their own picnic lunches. They insisted it was better and easier in case of special diet restrictions, etc. I agreed. Water is universal and snacks are cool, we should all do that. The picnic is about taking a break and talking, sitting in the sand and having a group lunch in a great place - South Beach.

The 5am is the mentor early bird for mentors who don't want to sleep in. The "usual" sounds like a winner to me, 10am low -.2 etc.

We will meet the BBLB "pairs" and their representative Heather Coppock at 9am. Watch your manners gents, there will be a lady present ;) First item on the agenda is a four part casting intro whose objective is to introduce key concepts to reinforce thru the day. There will be a checklist for each trio (BB,LB, mentor). After the lessons, each pair will be reviewed as a "spin only", "both" or "ready for the fly" group. Once the checklist is complete the trio is free to fish.

We will meet at one location for lunch approx two hours later. This is the picnic we were talking about. It is mostly a social / fun event where safety is #1, fun #2, and if we get a few schoolies, fantastic!

Thanks for keeping the tally Nick!

It seems we can all bring safety glasses for our own trio, that's the best solution. You only need one pair because only one person will be flycasting at any one time.

After lunch, we will have a little more fishing until we give out the awards and say adieu until next year.

Bring cameras! Kids love to get pictures like this.

I will email out the document shortly with specifics.

Smcdermott
06-10-2002, 04:15 PM
I will be brining one 8wt and one 10 wt. I don't have a spin rod.

Sean

juro
06-10-2002, 04:36 PM
BTW -

I have:

8wt with reel and line
2 9wt with reels and lines
a schmancy spinning rod and some rubber deep eels :devil:
2 pairs of safety glasses
first aid kit
large cooler with water in case anyone forgets
sunblock
will make up three extra stripping baskets
2 extra pairs of polarized sunglasses
2 walkie takie things
3 casting training toys (see doc)

Also GPS, compass, whistle, cell phone, etc.

juro
06-10-2002, 05:37 PM
Just sent out the word doc. Tom D - pls forward to Ed Shea, I'd like his contact info as well pls.

Gregg/Mike - pls forward a copy to your dad.

LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!!

Quentin
06-10-2002, 10:10 PM
1 9wt
1 5/6 wt (if you want. maybe good for training?)
1 stripping basket
3 spin rods
1 extra pair of waders (if you want)
bags o' sluggos/hooks
1 pair safety glasses
1 extra pair polarized glasses
camera
bandaids/antiseptic
sunscreen
insect repellant
bogus grip (if you want. maybe for photos?)
binoculars
compass

I will be driving down early Saturday. Anyone else gonna be around? I may need accomodations for Saturday night. Will fish Sunday a.m. as well.

That's all I can think of for now.

Looking forward to it!

Q

juro
06-10-2002, 10:38 PM
One thing I forgot to mention: we should plan on wet wading during the event. The BBLBs are not going to have waders so it would ensure that we stay "in sync".

There is really no need to wade the way we do when we are fishing for ourselves. Low tide is late morning as we complete the first part of our agenda, we can stand on dry sand and reach water where the fish are holding easily.

As they day warms the waters will rise, bringing some fish within range for standing knee deep.

I suggested those $5 aquasocks (any dept store) as a good choice for wet wading.

FredA
06-11-2002, 04:45 AM
I have one 9 wgt and one3 10 wieght.

Quenten, I will definetly be down Saturday so your welcome. As of now I plan to be down Thursday night so anyone needing accomadations and planning on fishing the weekend are welcome.

timwatts
06-11-2002, 05:44 AM
Will bring a couple light spinning rods and an 8 and ten wt. How old are these kids?

Hawkeye
06-11-2002, 06:14 AM
In the doc I think you mentioned certificates for the "Flyfishing Forum Casting School". I would be happy to make up 31 of these two for each pair and one for Heather. Who gets to take Heather out? ;) If I could get names and spelling it would make them a little more personal.

Nick
06-11-2002, 07:27 AM
So Far

jborkowski
06-11-2002, 07:40 AM
Will bring:

- 8wt and 10wt setups
- spinning gear
- a couple extra pairs of polarized sunglasses
- sunblock
- camera gear (provided no rain)
- 2 motorola talkabouts
- 1 personal assistant of the female persuausion (my roommate). good for hauling gear, helping out with stations, taking lots of snapshots.
- waders for Team Borkowski
- a couple extra pairs of sandals. will also try to find some aquasocks

prizes??? do we have any plans for biggest fish??? most fish???presumably they should be prizes Juro's team is going to like...yeah right...:tsk_tsk:

jborkowski
06-11-2002, 07:46 AM
will also have a phone

striblue
06-11-2002, 10:37 AM
Gregg,,,,,Heather? Down boy ;) Also, I can't wait to get pictures of all you guys without waders..... Those certifiacte would be great Gregg...if you can't get the names... Juro has that nice "calligraphy" script writting ability I have seen occasionally.

Hawkeye
06-11-2002, 10:55 AM
Ummm..... Nick, I'm almost afraid to ask but what does GC stand for?

Also put me down for a phone. Should I e-mail my number to you?

Another item. Mike, Dad and I were planning on fishing the flats in the early am and meeting the gang on South Beach at the designated time. Will this mess up plans? If it doesn't mess up plans and others want to join us we will have room for up to three more for the shuttle over.

Nick
06-11-2002, 11:06 AM
Sorry...just figured you'd guess Gift Certificate.:hehe:

My minds not that far below street level;)

Nick

Hawkeye
06-11-2002, 11:20 AM
Our boat has a radio too that will reach all the people with handhelds no matter how far they range.

juro
06-11-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by timwatts
Will bring a couple light spinning rods and an 8 and ten wt. How old are these kids?

Great Tim! The kids are from 9 thru 14, avg 10 probably - will call and find out...

Hawkeye
06-11-2002, 03:45 PM
Proposed certificate.

Quentin
06-11-2002, 04:51 PM
Fred: Great, thanks! Sign me up for Saturday night! Please send directions.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple things not mentioned yet:

If it's warm and sunny, should we have some means of creating some shade? Maybe a beach umbrella or tarp w/poles? If so, I can bring a tarp and rope but will need poles and stakes. A tarp could also be used as a ground cloth or to cover gear if necessary.

Also, how about a fine mesh net for sampling bait? I don't have a net but it might be fun if someone can bring one.

Q

striblue
06-11-2002, 05:35 PM
Gregg, that certificate is perfect..nice job. By the way you are not planning an all nighter Saturday night are You?

juro
06-11-2002, 05:45 PM
I think a good hat will do the job.

Christmas Tree Shops carries those little nets cheap.

Cool sign Gregg!

Originally posted by Quentin
Fred: Great, thanks! Sign me up for Saturday night! Please send directions.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple things not mentioned yet:

If it's warm and sunny, should we have some means of creating some shade? Maybe a beach umbrella or tarp w/poles? If so, I can bring a tarp and rope but will need poles and stakes. A tarp could also be used as a ground cloth or to cover gear if necessary.

Also, how about a fine mesh net for sampling bait? I don't have a net but it might be fun if someone can bring one.

Q

Hawkeye
06-11-2002, 06:01 PM
No all nighter John but you can catch a ride with us to the early show.

striblue
06-11-2002, 06:08 PM
I was thinking odf the light house because of the tide..way out at ther breakers....but I hope I see bait too... Thanks anyway... I would like to try another all nighter with you at some point... hang out at the crib, you know......

Adrian
06-11-2002, 07:39 PM
I am fancying the pre-dawn assault at the light also John ;)

juro
06-11-2002, 07:42 PM
Beautiful award Gregg, one comment - might want to omit the "his" in the lower paragraph for one copy anyway ;)

striblue
06-11-2002, 07:45 PM
Adrian... CAC maybe open ...it looks like 99%... My family will probably come down sometime during Saturday...so Friday night it will probably be just me....My two sons will want to help out in some way on Sunday and I think it will be good for them as well so they can be runners or communications people, etc...I will check it out with Juro.

Hawkeye
06-11-2002, 08:00 PM
Good point Juro. I probably would have missed that come printing time. Thanks.

juro
06-11-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by striblue
Adrian... CAC maybe open ...it looks like 99%... My family will probably come down sometime during Saturday...so Friday night it will probably be just me....My two sons will want to help out in some way on Sunday and I think it will be good for them as well so they can be runners or communications people, etc...I will check it out with Juro.

Great idea! Kids relate better with other kids their age. Knowing your boys, they will be a real asset!

juro
06-12-2002, 07:39 PM
Just spoke with Heather, there are 13 confirmed and the other two spots should be taken by the weekend!

Rain or shine event, let's hope for the shine!

Juro

tomd
06-12-2002, 07:52 PM
I'm outta the loop!!! no word doc, nada. email me at tomdunlap@attbi.com or call 781-784-4332. thanks

p.s. Ed is at foursheas@attbi.com

tomd
06-12-2002, 08:01 PM
I'll bring an 8,9+10, maybe a 7 as well, and 2 light spin rigs.2 safety glasses, first aid kit,extra hat,sunscreen,gps,compass,and cell-phone. Tom D

juro
06-12-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by tomd
I'm outta the loop!!! no word doc, nada. email me at tomdunlap@attbi.com or call 781-784-4332. thanks

p.s. Ed is at foursheas@attbi.com

Tom -

I think I must have sent it to your work address? Also asked that you fwd to Ed...

Can anyone forward to Tom? I do not have access to the computer where that doc is stored until tomorrow.

(pls reply if you can)

tomd
06-12-2002, 09:26 PM
this is my only address!!!:D remember me, the stay-at-home-dad??? Tom D

Hawkeye
06-12-2002, 09:39 PM
Tom,

I just sent you a copy.

Nick
06-13-2002, 07:12 AM
And the latest...

If you want me to add cell numbers to this list and then distribute, please email or PM the numbers to me. Thanks!

Only 14 Mentors...who is missing?

tomd
06-13-2002, 04:18 PM
Ed's back is out, he said he'd never recover by Sunday! he has extremely bad back, and this can happen to him by just stepping wrong, we need an alternate... Juro, got anyone in the wings?
Tom D

tomd
06-14-2002, 02:43 PM
are you guys on for the predawn assault? from the light or where? and what time. if not , where do we meet up to deal with the BB/LBs. Tom D

jborkowski
06-14-2002, 08:40 PM
juro, you in particular. it's time to put that underwater housing to good use...in case it rains.

looks like we're going to get some coverage in Flyfishing New England, and we're going to need some good photos.

tomd
06-14-2002, 10:58 PM
I checked my profile and it shows the right one... tomdunlap@attbi.com the email for mentors had my old one dunlap4u@bellatlantic.net but somehow Fred sent it to me... can this get fixed... do I show under 2 ID's. Tom D

juro
06-15-2002, 05:54 AM
Nick -

15th is Rich Soriano. He was unable to open the attachment and I am already on the cape... I wonder if converting the .doc to ascii would work, it should.

If anyone can take a minute to save as text and send to Richard it would be appreciated.

I will dial back in later, and if not will try to reach him by phone.

Rich -

If you are reading this we will meet at 9am at Chatham Lighthouse and car pool to our fishing location. Big Brother representatives will be there at 8:30 to greet early arrivals. I will also be there at that time.

I will email you my cell number again, I didn't get a call that evening but I might have been out of range.

Weather is looking good!