Selective Stripers what to do? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Selective Stripers what to do?

FishHawk
06-09-2002, 07:09 PM
Had only two days to spend on the Cape last week. Went to Nauset Beach Wed night and fished in the gale. Walked to the beach saw a huge striper porposing in the surf. Ran and got my gear while my wife read her book. Tried to cast which*was a bear because of the wind. Then all hell broke loose. On of the largest blitzes I ever witnessed. Fish were at my feet busting all over the place. They were keeper size bass. They were sipping wounded juvinle herring . I tried everything in my box .Got two hits on poppers but no solid takes. What would you have tried? I think some sort of floating fly might have worked . Tried crease fly and flatwings but to no avail. What I learned from this is to fish even tought the conditions are not always great for flyfishing. Now I know what Ken Abrahams talks about . What an awesome experience.
FishHawk:smokin:

striblue
06-09-2002, 11:17 PM
Did you try your deceiver patterns? or surf candies? Also polar fiber bait fish or Puglisi flys are a good imitation as are Poplovics hollow flys or spread flys... If that does not work... use your official FFF hand grenades.;)

Adrian
06-10-2002, 05:16 AM
Bill

Blitzes can be tricky - there is often so much bait and general mayhem that your offering gets lost in the confusion and it becomes a game of chance wether or not you get a strike.

The same thing happens from a boat. Work your way around to one edge or the other and the strike rate should go through the roof. Also, try holding the fly on the surface for a while and vary the retrieve.

juro
06-10-2002, 07:11 AM
Ten people with the same gear and fly can fish the same blitz while only one hooks up over and over. What's the equalizer?

IMHO given that a workable fly is on the line, there is really one key to constant connections - presentation. This is often way more important than fly, the above anglers may have had a half dozen sure fly patterns in their boxes given the proper presentation. Better off having some faith in a decent fly and working on the fishs' psyche if you ask me.

Wish I was there, would've liked to try to unlock the challeging situation - that's fishin'!