Fred, Maximum Sustainable Yield [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fred, Maximum Sustainable Yield

KerryS
06-07-2002, 10:17 AM
Fred,

I thought I would move your question about “Maximum Sustainable Yield” over to this forum.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is bound by law to manage salmon for “Maximum Sustainable Yield”. In other words so the commercial fishing industry can catch as many of these fish as possible and still maintain a viable run of fish. This paradigm is flawed and doomed to fail from the start. This is my opinion and understanding of MSY. I hope some of the others here who have more knowledge of this topic will fill us in.

fredaevans
06-07-2002, 12:56 PM
Camel through the eye of a needle. I'm looking forward to where this goes.
fe

John Desjardins
06-07-2002, 01:21 PM
While I am not from the northwest I watch what happens on the east coast with interest. One of the things that has happened here when fish are "managed" is that different groups have their own opinions of their "rightful portion". If you add up all the "rightful portion"s you end up with something that is 2 or 3 times what scientists say is the MSY.

To me the problem with managing for MSY is the politics of whose MSY you are managing for. Is it the commercial fisherman, the charter boat captains, inland recreational fisherman or others that you manage for?

Just rambling on and giving you my 5 cents worth while I should be working.

rich_simms
06-07-2002, 07:17 PM
The WSC has a chapter in the paper "Biological and Economic Benefits of Wild Steelhead Release" that provides a well written analysis of MSY by the current WSC VP Science/Education. I know he visits this BB periodically so maybe he will share. If interested the WSC has copies of the paper available.

juro
06-11-2002, 08:48 PM
I'll have to go read that again, I recall being totally impressed with the quality of the material published by WSC and it's definitely worth a second read.

MSY... is that like fish 'em to the brink? Might work if we knew where the brink was, even then it's risky, but with any margin of error and we've gone beyond sustainable. Then what?

How about MSMH... maximum survival / modest harvest?