I'll tell u a secret if you tell me one [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: I'll tell u a secret if you tell me one

Redleg
06-06-2002, 08:38 PM
OK, Since nobody is going to tell me where to fish around VA beach, OBX, DelMar Peninsula, I guess I'm going to have to bribe you.

Here's my secret...for super deals on gear like Powell rods and Abel reels, check out Sierratradingpost.com

Now...about those locations out east...:devil:

Brian

tomd
06-06-2002, 09:01 PM
I think you aren't getting answered cuz we don't know the area, we are mostly in New England and Pacific NW . try this board, it is based further south. Tom D
http://www.tidalfish.com/boards2/
or this one
http://www.stripersonline.com/cgi-bin/ubb_547C/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

Redleg
06-06-2002, 09:09 PM
Thank you kindly, sir.

That's better.:D

GregD
06-07-2002, 02:32 AM
I have to agree with Tom most of us aren't familiar with the area. Perhaps Capt Gordon will respond if he's not too busy hooking fat alberts, redfish or tuna these days. Judging from the water temps down there fishing should be great right now.

We are overdue for a report, perhaps he'll check in soon or better yet send off a personal mail and maybe he'll get back to you and give you some ideas. I thought he mentioned some spots around Virginia beach on an earlier post.

Tight lines,
Greg.

Mark F
06-07-2002, 08:37 AM
Redleg,

I don't know when you would like to head down there but Oct/Nov is a great time to head down to Harkers Island and fish for false albacore. Whereas most folks are delighted to get albies in the 4-8 lb range on Cape Cod, down at Harkers you can get albies up to the 20lb mark. That is a boga-grip weighed fish, not some WAG. You can reach them at

Harkers Island Fishing Center
Motel and Marina
PO Box 400, Harkers Island, N.C. 28531
Phone: 252-728-3907 Fax: 252-728-6405

Pls note that their accommodations are, shall we say, modest. But you can keep your boat in a slip right out front and the people could not be nicer.

There is a water taxi that will drop you off at the bight but it can be frustrating watching all of the boaters stick fish that are just out of your shore range. HIFC can put you in contact with the water taxi number (have it at home--not here).

If you want to stay further north, contact Brian Horsley and Sarah Gardner of Flat Out fishing charters. They fish out of Nags Head and are into fish all summer long. Stripers, blues, cobia, shark, redfish. Their URL is: http://www.outerbanksflyfishing.com/ and they have beaucoup information in their fishing reports which are regularly updated.

Now, if you want fishing information even further north I would take the recommendations from Tomd and check out the tidalfish.com page. Tons of information. If you're looking for a guide on the Chesapeake I would give Brady Bounds a call out of Lexington Park, MD. The guy knows the Bay like you know your garage. He is the cat's meow. He can be reached at: (301) 862-3166.

Anyway, hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Mark

juro
06-07-2002, 10:46 AM
Since I am going to check out your referral, I felt like I had to post :devil:

First of all - great info from those who had knowledge to share.

If I may get a little philosophical... (ala Jack Handey)

We should look at every unanswerable question as a reason to bring those home waters into our community. If you know someone, ask them to sign up and post something. If you know a captain, ask him if he'd consider sponsoring us with a trip or help with site costs in exchange for a banner and an open invitation to participate in the community directly as a professional member. Unknowns are not limitations, they are opportunities!