Explaination due... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Explaination due...

ssully
06-05-2002, 10:28 PM
Hi All,
I want to explain my thread about spending a day at Childrens Hospital. My 14 yo son broke his leg bad last Friday night and our regular Orthopedic surgeon (great guy) recommended we take him there.

It's pretty bad when you're on a first name basis with an Ortho guy but when you've got four boys who play sports I guess it's par for the course.

Well I was feeling bad for the boy and got in a whiny mood about my own predicament considering that my 16 yo finished up his last appointment for a shattered collarbone. That is until the next day when I walked around the hospital and saw very sick and hurting children everywhere. My problems were put into their insignificant perspective immediately.

Anyway here's an image of the break. My son requested copies. Omitted are the two steel rods that run down the full length of the tibia because the xray was shot before they inserted them.

Oh, thanks for the kind replies and God Bless all those kids still there.
http://home.attbi.com/~ssully/stuff/leg.jpg

fredaevans
06-05-2002, 11:42 PM
Not to worry, that's what we're ALL here for. I'm running around with a right arm with two 10" strips of stainless steel and 8 some odd screws holding me together. (Really don't recommend taking a two story header on to your driveway. Fall doesn't hurt at all ... but the sudden stop at the end .....:rolleyes: )

Sounds like your family has a damn good Father.
Fred

Nick
06-06-2002, 07:39 AM
Ssully,
Thanks for the explaination, I had been wondering what turn of events had you making that post anyways. Glad that it turned out ok, even if he has a few pounds of Stainless Steel in him. Hope his healing is speedy!

Nick

By the way, with all that metal, do they still give out cards stating that you had the surgery? Reason I ask is, the metal detectors at airports are pretty turned up these days, and I know in the passed, with knee replacements and what not, that they gave a card to allow for the beeping and buzzing at the airport.

TinMan
06-06-2002, 07:58 AM
Surprised I haven't bumped into you there :(

uffdoc told me that some orthopod's say, "With kids, all you need are the pieces of bone in the same room for them to heal."
Looks like your guy needed a bit more.

Best of luck for a full and speedy recovery.

Adrian
06-06-2002, 07:58 AM
Sean

I hope your son heals very fast. Most kids seem to, or maybe its that as I get older, bumps and bruises hurt more and take longer to heal up.

I know exactly what you mean about childrens hospitals. My wife worked at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London before we came over to the US and that was often a last resort for many kids.

Very cool pix!

fredaevans
06-06-2002, 09:03 AM
"By the way, with all that metal, do they still give out cards stating that you had the surgery? Reason I ask is, the metal detectors at airports are pretty turned up these days, and I know in the passed, with knee replacements and what not, that they gave a card to allow for the beeping and buzzing at the airport."

That was a concern of mine too. The Doc's use a stainless steel of some type which is really pretty 'non-magnetic.' (If they used a carbon steel you'd light the place up like Los Vegas. Also a carbon steel might 'rust.'). But now with everyone getting "wanded" before you get on the plane I've already got my coat off and sleave rolled up to show them the scars.
fe

juro
06-06-2002, 10:26 AM
Ssully -

Good lessons you pointed out - both of them. Broken bones are painful and traumatic, but can be healed. Many ailments youngsters have to live with can't.

Speedy recovery to your son; and I'll keep the well being of those kids in mind as I decide how to donate my time and money when I can do it.

Juro

Eddie
06-06-2002, 02:38 PM
This won't do much to ease your pain(or your son's), but I read somewhere that, with respect to children,"It is better to risk a broken leg than a broken spirit."

Chris
06-12-2002, 08:50 PM
Ssully,
My thoughts are with you and your boy. With all the talk of hero's this year I'll tell you my 12 year old son, Ian is mine. We, he, is on the tail end of treament for leukemia. Nothing puts things into perspective more than hurting kids. I will say this, I have learned more about character, and quiet stoicism from my son than any other single thing in my life.

Best wishes for rapid healing from my family.

fredaevans
06-12-2002, 08:56 PM
Southern Oregon Gang.
fe/dk/mk/nb, et. al.

For the small but mighty group:
fe