Fish Tags [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fish Tags

bcasey
06-05-2002, 07:22 AM
Check this out, this past weekend I caught a tagged fish. It read. "Reward-$5-$1000" Tag #473969 with an address to send it to. About 17" striper.
Then Last night, I get another in exactly the same location. This time the tag reads "Reward-$10-$1000", same address, tag #504890.
Obviously, these fish were tagged at the same time in the same place, but whats the chances of that happening? Kinda like lightning striking the same place twice, OR, are these people tagging a s*#t load of fish?
I would not have known to look for the tag had it not been for a post on another board just recently about a tagged fish from down Cape. The tag was on the belly near the vent, not near the dorsal where I would have expected it to be. I guess smaller fish get it in the gut, maybe not enough meat on the back.
I'll keep you posted on what I find out about the tagging program, where they were tagged, when and how big they were when tagged. Also, any "Reward".

Sprocket
06-05-2002, 09:42 AM
Case - I was hnting ducks with Dad inside area C (they get made if you do it outside there now).

Anyway, he shoots a pair with one shot (no word of a lie, one shot). They were both banded with consecutive numers - turned out to be a mating pair.

The 2 wardens came down and took the numbers and our info of course - they said they didn't hear the second shot, they couldn't believe it...

After seeing Dad do that, I now believe the rest of his stories too.

Anyway, good luck with your tags - maybe play the lottery while your "hot".