Fly Fishing Forum banner

Piker Day - Part 2

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  FrenchCreek 
#1 ·
It was a Friday to remember, got to the lake at about 3 PM and fished till about 7 PM with my buddy Jean. Caught and released over 50 fish each, about 1/2 of them in the 12 to 15 Lb range.
Tried every fly swap fly and caught at least one fish on each fly. Saturday was slower but we still managed to hook & release well over 50 fish between us in about 5 hours fishing. Several were "pounders" as we call them, anything over 15 lbs. qulaifies because they just pound the heck out of your rod and your arm.
One fish came in at 19 1/2 Lbs., a real thrill and beautifull (if you can call them toothy critters beauties). Got to get back there tomorrow or Tuesday for a few more days.
Roop, I sure hope that little mouse is worth it! because you are missing out on one of the best springs we have had for sevrela years. Many lakes are reporting great fishing with many "pounders" some in the 18 to 20 lbs.

#2 ·
Great report! I am soooooooo jealous! We have a lot of pickerel in my area but not enough big pike to even think about having a day like that. I get such a kick out of the way pickerel charge a fly or lure and attack it repeatedly, even as you lift it out of the water. I can only imagine what it would be like to have that kind of action with big pike. Just to see that big push of water when they first start to move . . . :whoa:

Q

#3 ·
Is there something wrong with me?

I may possibly be moving to the Keys to work in the boating and fishing industry, where I'd be out on the water fishing (as my job) most days of the week, but I'd rather move back up North (probably to Canada) to fish pike, walleye, and trout. Should I go and have my head checked? I miss pickerel and pike!:( Of course, reports such as yours (FrenchCreek) just make it worse. Just a minute... maybe I can do some "research" up North for a few weeks each year...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.