Fly Fishing Forum banner

Looking for a new LA reel of moderate price

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Eddie 
#1 ·
After my fiasco with the ML reels by Redington, I'm unloading them and looking for something decent for an 8-weight line, preferably under $200. This rod will be used for blues and stripers, as well as fish in the Keys. I already have a 9-weight outfit, so the "upper-end" is covered, but I enjoy working with smaller flies from time to time. I've got the Redington GD 7/8 that I use for light saltwater with a 6-wt. line, and wonder if I might just order a 2nd reel of that model. However, I'm open to suggestions. I'd like something with backing capacity of around 200 yds., good drag, large arbor, and less than $200. Any thoughts? Am I better off just getting another GD 7/8?

#3 ·
Picked up a Tioga 10LA and 8LA; I've heard that they have a much more reliable drag than the Redington reels. Selling off my GD reels in favor of the Tiogas. I'll spool the 10LA with 8-wt. and the 8 LA with 6-wt. Honestly, I've had some problems with the Redington reels any way; they never seem to be able to get a reel "right" (i.e. they're always changing some aspect of a model to make it better). I understand completely the evolution of reels, but theirs seem to change quite a bit from month to month. Hoping that the Tioga will stand up to stripers as well as bones this summer. I must say that everytime I've had a question about one of my Redingtons, they are always more than happy to help. Still, I have to go with the reel that will last longer and perform better.

#5 ·
The Tioga is a great durable reel but the LA model is nothing more than a reel that holds less backing.Many people call the Tioga LA,and others with a standard spool width,a false LA.In order to get the benefits of a LA you need to have a wider spool to make up for the increased arbour size.The Tioga LA doesn't have this,thus it is no different from having a standard reel filled with backing(to increase the arbour size).The Redington has the wider spool needed to keep all the line,including backing over a larger diameter.

#6 ·
Yes, I fully knew about the fact that spool was no wider than the standard arbor, and that for the reel to truly be large arbor the spool must have added width to maintain backing capacity, however this is why I purchased oversized reels. In my case, using an 8-wt. line on a reel rated for 9 and 10-wt. will allow me to spool a little over 200-yds. of 30-lb. small-diameter backing, which I think will be plenty. I've spoken to quite a few shops in the past few days on the subject of Red vs. Teton, and I really think that I made the right choice, particularly since I picked up both reels (the 10LA and the 8LA) brand new with warranty for $100 each. I figured, for that price, you just can't go wrong with a Tioga. I don't think that the added weight of the over-sized reels versus the smaller "properly-sized" models will make much difference in my casting or endurance. Still, I'm set to try them out in Great Bay (NJ) for a week and then the Keys for a month or so in July, so I'll put them through the works and report back.

#7 ·
Some info from the Fly Rod&Reel June 02 issue:

Redington GD($99-$129)
Large arbor advantage: moderate
"There are some definite large-arbor benefits here, but this reel is impressive primarily for other reasons--good materials, clean manufacturing and solid performance make it one of the best values in fly reels(particularly in trout models) I've seen in a while."

Lamson Velocity($190-$235)
Large arbor advantage: moderate
"This reel is nicely manufactured with the same snooth, fully sealed drag used on higher-end Waterworks/Lamson reels, and it's a good value, particularly for anglers inclined to trade away some large-arbor benefits for a reel with more traditional looks."

(No Tioga reels were reviewed. It says a previous review is available online at www.flyrodreel.com)

#8 ·
The Tioga is one tough reel for sure and I don't think anyone would be dissapointed with them.The Redington GD is kind of in the same catagory as the Tioga LA in that it doesn't have a wide enough spool to really make the LA an advantage.I think the Tioga is a much tougher reel than the Redington GD,however.The discontinued Redington AL reels did have a wider reel and thus a true LA advantage,unfortunately this reel was made a little too heavy.I decided to go with the AS reels and they have been great.No problems with anything,including the dragI've managed to pick up quite a few off different sites for around $100-110 US.At that price they're a steal.

#9 ·
Lamson Velocity. They seem to have all the right features at the right price. If I needed a $200 reel, this would be my choice.
Tiogas are a good value, but I don't like full cage reels. Too much of a pain in the neck when changing spools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.