Fly Fishing Forum banner

Labor Day Weekend Fishing...

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Colotrout 
#1 ·
I had plans to start the weekend off with a friend of mine and head over to Willards Pond again, this time with his canoe. I have already had one that got away here, so I knew they were biting near the shore and was very eager to get out to the more popular spots out on the pond.

Well, my buddies wife got a flat, and for some strange reason she had no idea what to do to replace it (she DID have a spare) anyway, my buddy backs out on me to go rescue his wife... I went home, grabbed my waders and headed out to the pond anyway.

When I got there, there was a whole lot of chop on the pond and the wind was a royal PITA! With clouds hanging dark and heavy overhead, I knew if I didn't start casting here, I wouldn't have any time to get to a hole that was better protected by the wind, so I stuck it out. I grabbed my Hare's Ear Emerger and tossed it to the same rock formation I previously lost a fish on a Yellow Hornberg... Didn't get a nibble at all for about an hour and it was hard casting in that wind. When I was about to give up in frustration, the wind died down and that smell of rain filled the air. I didn't see any lightning, so I figured I would just take advantage of the calm.

I placed the fly just where I wanted it in between two boulders, let it sink down the length of the leader. By the time I started to retreive the fly, it had started raining. It was a light raindrops but a lot of them and broke up the waters surface again. About the 2nd or 3rd retreival I got a big hit, and the fish ran away from his hole in the rocks, I had my drag on real light because of the 6x tippet I was using, so it took a while to get him in. When I did, I saw the heavy, but short 8-9" Small Mouth. Not what I was going for, (hell, I didn't even know smallies were in here) but he was a fun ride to get in. After I released him, the rain stopped. And so did the fish-action. Called it a night about an hour later and went home.

----------------------

Day 2

On Saturday, it was very sunny, hot and even more windy than the night before, and I didn't get out on the water until about 7:30, so the fish had all gone into hiding by the time I got out there.

I looked for some new fishing spots at a pond near Willards, at Willards itself, along a few streams nearby and then gave up to go home to take care of the "honey do" list.

By 3:00 I was back in the car looking for spots. Since I never had fished the CT on this side of the state, I figured it was worth a try.

Found an old dirt road that went down along the river. At the first turnoff I found, I parked and tossed in a nymph. Not a thing, too many speed boats going by and too much sun to get any fish out of their hiding spots.

I went down the road further until it ended. I found a wi,derness sanctuary which was posted for fishing/hiking ect. and figured I would give it a try.

Well... I think I went up the hiking trail on accident because I kept going up and up and up all the time waiting for it to go back down to a beach or something... nope..

In front of me I heard running water, so I didn't turn back, knowing if I could get down to where the water fall went into the CT, I may actually find some fish feeding on the food it brought down to them. Well, I just about killed myself scaling down to the river from up there in my felt soled waders, and came close to breaking my rod about five times. Knowing I was nuts, when I looked up at what I would have to do to get back to the path, I figured I would get down in the river and wade to this phantom beach I was looking for.

Waded in and didn't see anything. When I sarted to go down stream casting away, I didn't get a bite, nor did I see any beach or clearing. OK, now I was in trouble. Down here with only a pair of waders and about a 60% grade cliff to climb to get up to the path. ARGH!

So I start my Hike up... almost ripping my waders, losing my hat, snapping my rod... and constantly getting my net snagged on a tree or branch or rock or something...

By the time I get out of there, I was so tired I had no interest in doing anything but take a nap. Well, I rest int he car for a while and then head back home. On the way there, I realize I still had not caught a fish and was determined to do so.

I went by a little fishing hole near the Keene Airport where a few kids were drowning worms instead of each other, so I figured I would take advantage of the time and cast a few. Got out the Hornberg and was sight casting to three hungry fish, looked to be either crappies or perch, never got close enough for a good look. When they came in after the fly for the third time, a kid decided to do a cannonball in the same general area as me and, well, spooked the fish away. Nodded my hat to thank him and moved on to a spot closer to my house.

I got up to Swanzey lake at the boat launch (secluded little spot that is shaded by the trees and no wind, also because of the trees)

Ahh, a nice easy place to set up. I tied on my Rascal to see if it would work. Saw a very slow hatch of a white mayfly and knew this would be a good time to try it.

Well, that sucker doesn't need ANY flotant to stay on the water. The dog hair floats all day.

Some bait casters came in when I was set up (two families with kids) They caught a few Horned Pout, a pickeral, and some perch, and they caught my fly line once... DOH!

I eventually caught my little perch that I misstook for a trout rising. (didnt realize they went for top feeding) so I called it a day and went home.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow Stone! You had quite the outings this weekend (memorial day;) )

Luckily our trips went a little smoother. We were going to do a multi day float trip, but a wedding on Sunday blew that idea. So Saturday we headed to the Arkansas river between Buena Vista and Leadville. Got to the river at 6 and had real good action on #18 elk hair caddis. My wife and I caught 2 Browns and 4 rainbows with more hook ups just couldn't land em. No real size; all 12 to 14 range. By 8 there were so many kayakers that the fishing in that area was done. So moved up stream (north of Granite) and a caddis hatch was in full swing. Once we matched the hatch, caught fish consistently till 10:30, all rainbows in the 12-16in range. We lost count. Took a break and did some dog training. Went a few miles further up stream and found another hatch that started about 2. Got schooled by my wife here. She landed 4 nice fish one rainbow that was 22in. I landed 2 12in rainbows. Hatch died off so we headed home.

Monday we decided for a change and headed to Antero Reservoir for a day of boating with a motor. Didn't get to the res till 10 in the morning, but it didn't seem to matter. It was a day of lakers. Started out with drys, getting the risers but wind put an end to that. Strippin streamers was the key! Caught 20 lakers and 2 rainbows. My wife got her biggest laker this weekend. It was fun coming back to the ramp and having all the folks with spinners and downriggers be jealous cause they had watched us pulling em in all afternoon. Couldn't have asked for a better weekend other than for it not to end.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.