Some observations..... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Some observations.....

Adrian
05-28-2002, 10:02 AM
If there's one thing this Spring has taught me it's that very little stays the same for very long - least of all the habits of our striped friends at this time of year.

There are the obvious factors like bait migrations etc, but I'm starting to notice subtle and not-so-subtle changes in the environment from hour-to-hour sometimes faster, sometimes slower. I should mention that prior to last season, almost all of my striper fishing had been from a flats boat. Finding fish is somewhat easier when you can cover the water at 50 mph!

When you're on foot, it's a very different ball game!

Watching rips gain in strength and then "melt away" at different states of the tide cycle, noticeable changes in water temperature whilst wading, changes in wind strength and direction. I'm sure there are many many more. The really interesting thing is that sometimes optimum conditions would only last for 30 minutes or less, but the fish would be there. Then, as soon as things change they're off somewhere else.

This past week-end was productive for me by keeping on the move and checking likely-looking spots in addition to the old favorites.

I really must start keeping a fishing diary ;)

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Roop
05-28-2002, 11:55 AM
I have started to notice that I'll hook fish in an area - move a few feet to either side & feel a difference in temperature or the type of sand and it has a dramatic impact.

There is a little more sport to wading then chasing schools of busting bait. But a flats boat to increase your ability to see fish I'll take any day!

steelheadmike
05-28-2002, 12:10 PM
Roop you just reminded me. While in Westport CT I passed by Northrops Landing and noticed a 20ft Hewes Light Tackle skiff for sale ( used ) for $14,500. If anyone is looking or cares.

Doc Duprey
05-28-2002, 04:50 PM
If a newbie may add his $0.02 to the thread...

Charging around in a good boat with an excellent skipper (Thanks to Capt. Art Sawayer) and a good fishing buddy (the Penguin) is a great way to get into some fish, have fun and "get hooked". But wading the flats, looking at the sand, feeling the changes in water temp and wind, and all of the other details that you miss cruising at 50 kts may (I emphasize MAY) be the better way to really begin to learn the details of the game. Even if noi fish are caught...maybe sometimes especially if no fish are caught. (Or is that a bit too Zen.)

Just my opinion...your mileage may vary.

Best regards,

-Doc;)

Penguin
05-28-2002, 05:17 PM
So...Doc Duprey had pulled a few strings and actually was granted a travel/fishing visa to enter the FarSide (of the Canal) ...He arrived on Friday and settled into the All Season Motel complete with BIG pool and HOT TUB...We firmed up plans for an early (0500) lighthouse assault on Sat and I figured that was that...
Outa' the blue I getz dis call from a most renouned and accomplished pro who wanted some fishing company on a prospecting/recon run out of East Dennis...The Right Honourable Capt Art has just offered to take Doc and yours truly out for a day on his boat...The wind was HONKIN' and alternate plans were in order...After Steve got his first striper (and a nice one it was) we started to get the itch to venture down to Bass River and, after a stop for some eats, there we were...Capt Art knows fish and where to find them...He turned a blow down into a fine day on the water! Thanks Capt Art......my hat's off to you yet again...
If you are thinking about going out and catching fish and having a really nice time...give him a call and you'll have NO REGRETS!

Sunday was still windy but Doc and I went to Chatham and hiked out to the bowl and fished the flood...'saw a good many picky fish and only raised two...did the outside and didn't raise stink on our way back...

Boats are great and knowledgeable Captains are worth their weight in crabmeat and can make your day...but don't under rate the educational bonuses of standing in cold water waving a stick if you want to get to know your quarry...my .02

p.s. Thanks Capt Art...you are a gentleman and one heck of a fisherman...among other things! STRAIGHT ACES! NO WORRIES!

FishHawk
05-29-2002, 05:54 AM
What I have noticed is how temperture sensitive Stripers are. I am learning a lot and saltwater fishing is most challenging. Then there is the tide which governs everything. What seems to hang me up are old trouting fidhing habits.
You sure earn every fish you catch.
FishHawk

RandyJones
05-30-2002, 07:08 PM
It's funny. I've been out the last nine days straight and every single day has been unique. Something different or new has happened that teach's you something or makes you scrach your head.

Ever wonder why it's so hard at times, to out smart something that has a brain the size of a pea?

Randy