Orvis BK Large Arbor [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Orvis BK Large Arbor

Brad
05-28-2002, 08:44 AM
From the thread below it looks like the reddington LA has some problems. The ads for the orvis BK LA sound good and the price seems fair. Any opinions on this reel.

Thanks

Dble Haul
05-28-2002, 08:55 AM
I have the 9/10 on my 9ft 9wt and have no complaints. The drag system is reliable, spare spools can be changed easily and quickly, and the lack of line memory from being on a large arbor are all pluses. The line pickup was tested last year on some big bluefish, and I hope to test it this year on some tunoids.

Also, it's simple to take apart and clean as needed.

Eddie
05-28-2002, 09:52 AM
These are good reels for the $. Rinse lightly after use, and try not to crank down on the drag. I think that this is where they get sloppy after a few years. You can't beat the warrenty and for inshore fish in the NE., it should be fine. Other reels in the price range to consider are the Tioga, and the Water Works/Lamson Velocity. Both are also very good(I like the Lamson). Old Florida also makes a good one for the $, but it is not Large Arbor, and I like a big reel.

X minor
06-01-2002, 09:07 PM
I think the Battenkill LA is a fantastic reel.
Excellent drag,super smooth,and fast line recovery.
The only drawbak is line capacity.
The l/a III is listed for weights 5-7 with 75yds of 20#dacron backing.Even with these already low numbers this is still a stretch.
If you never get into your backing then go for it.Otherwise you will have to move up to a larger model which makes weight a concern.