Casting Nut [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Casting Nut

FlyFishAR
05-23-2002, 09:34 AM
Are any of you guys into casting just for the sake of it? Our water has been so high for the last few months that I have found myself playing with various casts, shooting heads, and just about anything I can get my freaky little hands on. Am I the only casting nut out there? I thought it might be kind of fun to talk about the 1% of casting that we never get to do. Last week I cut down an old 9 weight full sinking line I had into a shooting head, and tied it to some stiff mono. Holy smokes, no wonder Rajeff can throw 200+ feet. That thing went like a screaming banshee.

We were at the FFF Southern Conclave a few years a go. One of my buddies was sitting at the booth with a 5 wt XP and had it fully rigged. We sat in our chairs and had a contest seeing who could put a fly in an ash tray at 30' the most times in a row. Once you got the distance right it was pretty easy to hit it almost every time.

So am I the Forum nut or does anyone else ever do that kind of stuff?

John

Colotrout
05-23-2002, 09:49 AM
Your not alone at all. I'm teaching my wife to fish and we set up a ski-ball style target for her to practice with and I'm out there all the time. We even made a drinking game out of it with my friends and it replaced the horseshoes. A great way to practice those casts you never use much!:)

Stone
05-23-2002, 10:15 AM
I still am trying to get better at accuracy of my casts, so I go out and cast whenever I can (as long as I am not on a Honey-Do list or tying flies for an upcoming trip)

striblue
05-23-2002, 10:20 AM
Absolutly... In the winter I am in my backyard practicing casting.. I consider fishing casting the number one joy of flyfishing... that why I love flyfishing... besides all the stuff... It's casting that is key for me.

FredA
05-23-2002, 11:02 AM
Must be the casting I like because I don't catch a lot of fish. On those rare occasions when it comes together for me the pleasure is similar to finding the groove shooting a basketball or stroking a cue stick. I just wish I could bottle whatever it is that get's me to that place.

Moonlight
05-23-2002, 11:56 AM
The joy of casting is never more complete than when I take out a few of the old Cane Rods and line them up to cast on the little pond out in the yard. There are not many fish in the pond and the few that are there are properly educated and quite wary. However just casting about with those beautiful hand built works of art is all I need to get a real release from the tensions of everyday stress.
Casting with plastic just doesn't get me the same juju I get a real charge out of the old cane.

FlyFishAR
05-23-2002, 12:18 PM
I was at a resort in CO a few years ago and some of the guests were out front casting. In my usual interfearing nature I couldn't pass them by. We sat there for a few minutes talking about casting and making loops ect. One of the kids went and got me one of the "loaner rods" from guest services so I could join in the casting. It was a 1970's, fiberglass, no cork on the handel, fly line tied in knots, POS. The flyline had to be the "original" fly line, cracked and gray with dirt. They had tied a loop knot at the end of the fly line so the could put a loop end leader on it (geez). So I think you get the idea. The worst possible rod for casting right? I pulled off the 85 feet of fly line and made a couple of hauls with this 5 lbs of fiberglass. The line hit the end of the backing and made an audible bzzzzz noise as it pulled off a few feet of backing. Holy Smokes!! What just happened??? I pulled off the rest of the total 60 feet of backing on the rod just for fun. What a blast!!! Can you believe I spent a month in Colorado fishing that summer, and the one thing I remember is casting that crummy old rod.

Geez......I've got it bad.......

John