Sandy River Spey Clave, as I saw it [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sandy River Spey Clave, as I saw it

juro
05-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Well, my schedule looks bad for putting together something in an article format for at least a week so I will be putting up images of the stellar event one at a time as I get a moment here or there. Check back often, I have a LOT of great images to share...

So, where to start? I've already rambled about my wonderful commute (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/showthread.php?s=&postid=39538#post39538) so I will spare you that... it was all worth it, and then some.

We planned to spend a little time actually fishing in addition to the casting that was the feature activity of the day, and snuck out to experience a little of what this beautiful river had to offer. Mark, Andre, and all of you who get to live in the area - I am jealous of the slice of heaven you guys call your homewater. I dream of the day I can return with a little bit more time to spare.

As the sleep cleared from my eyes and the o'dark thirty woods parted to reveal the river, even before taking a cast, I forgot everything that it took to get there. And it only got better and better...

Images Copyright Juro Mukai and the Flyfishing Forum, all rights reserved

NrthFrk16
05-22-2002, 10:53 AM
...keep 'em coming!!!!! :)

juro
05-22-2002, 11:19 AM
Doublespey and our generous host and fishing buddy Andre made a l-o-n-g hike through some beautiful forest to get to a stretch of water like you read about in magazines.

My danner boots were as stiff as stone from months of drying in storage and boy did my feet hurt. I was stepping in mud puddles trying to loosen them up, but to no avail. I guess I should have felt the pain, but somehow the crisp forest air and the promise of a pretty pool and bright summer runs drowned it all out as we hiked on...

juro
05-22-2002, 11:32 AM
River left... and the feet feel much better ;)

juro
05-22-2002, 11:44 AM
We paused at a spot where the river called to my spidey senses. I was urged by Andre that the best water was downriver. I resisted, saying "man, are you sure?". He insisted, and looking down it was clear that there was a better hole below. But for some reason, that water called to me.

I continued down to the sweetest part of the run, thankful that Andre and Brian wanted to give me the best part of the pool. It really wasn't important, I would have been happy just sitting on a mossy stump. Well, OK that's a bit of a stretch but I almost feel like I am imposing when that happens (thanks guys).

Next thing you know, Doublespey hollers out "Andre's onto a fish up there". I think "huh?" we haven't been here long enough, and we have to go - this is just supposed to be a casting warm up thing, a flirt with a the chance of a fish, we're here for a couple hours, this isn't supposed to happen!

I reel up and scurry up the riverbank to check it out, over stumps and boulders, hobbling up to a big ancient tree stump and climb around it and there is Andre, kneeling inthe water and caringly reviving a beautiful Sandy River summer run chromer...

now I won't say where he caught that fish... only that I had a feeling about it :devil:

juro
05-22-2002, 11:46 AM
Chromer with a capital "K"....

well done Andre, and thanks for sharing your homewater!

rich_simms
05-22-2002, 01:09 PM
Love those early summers, er, springers! I bet it was:smokin: