5/20 - Lower Housatonic River Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 5/20 - Lower Housatonic River Report

Quentin
05-21-2002, 07:11 AM
I took a ride down to the CT coast yesterday to do some more scouting around mouth of the Housatonic River and to check a few other spots.

I fished around Milford Point from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (low tide was about 12:30) and caught a few fish on Clousers drifted on an intermediate line (2 herring, 2 hickory shad, 2 small stripers and a fluke). There was another fly fisherman nearby who caught a small bluefish and had a fly bitten off, so there are blues around too. The bait fishermen on the Short Beach side of the river were doing quite well and seemed to be getting some pretty big fish. I fished a spot near the Rte 1 bridge for the last of the incoming tide and managed to get a couple more shad. After dinner I went over to Hammonasset to take a few casts (no evidence of fish in the area) and then fished the Causeway at Old Saybrook until about 9:00 p.m. (didn't catch any fish there either).

Q

Dble Haul
05-21-2002, 08:36 AM
Bluefish and hickory shad in the area? I like the sound of that! Here's hoping that the action stays consistent until the Conn Clave.

Quentin, when you talk about a small bluefish being caught, are you speaking of the 10-12" snappers, or the next size class up? Some 2-4 lb blues on an 8 wt would be nice right about now. :)

Quentin
05-21-2002, 09:49 AM
Mark, when the other guy got the bluefish I was too far away to even see what kind of fish it was so I couldn't really judge the size. He said it was about 14-16" long. I was hoping to catch one myself so I could add another species to the tally for the day and also to my fly rod "life list" (added 3 anyway: herring, shad and fluke!).

Those hickory shad are funny when you get them on a 9wt. The fly line pretty much holds its position in the water and comes almost straight in, but the shad goes crazy on the leader. Jump to the left, slash right, jump again, maybe do a couple of cartwheels. What a blast! I should have tied on a dropper fly and tried to get two at once!

Q

steelheadmike
05-21-2002, 10:41 AM
Next time bring a 6wt or even a 4wt... talk about a laugh riot!! I used to tie a small sparse sand eel and bring my 5wt with me to Sherwood Island State Park to catch them in late June / July. They're like little Tarpon. They put a smile on my face many o' day.

Quentin
05-21-2002, 01:16 PM
mike, I just bought one of those ultra cheap 5/6wt fly fishing combos so that I'd have something smaller than the 9wt when I fish around home. I didn't have it with me yesterday because I was hoping to catch bigger fish. I'll definitely bring it next time and I'll tie on a dropper too!
Q

Dble Haul
05-21-2002, 01:24 PM
I also carry a 6 wt for the shad. The only problem arises when I'm miles from my vehicle and I have the 9 wt with me when I see the hickories.

Any volunteers to be a rod caddy? :p

Seriously, anyone coming to the CT Clave should consider bringer a lighter action rod just in case we come across some shad or snapper blues. I agree that they're a blast.

steelheadmike
05-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Sometimes I only carry a 6wt!! If I get into a larger fish I play it the best I can and pray for the best. If there is no possible way to get it in safely I just snap it off. Its definately possible to land a 10lb stripe on a 6wt. Us steelheaders land 10-15lb fish on 6 and 7's all the time. Plus it sure will make for a great story.