Calamari Delux [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Calamari Delux

05-20-2002, 10:03 PM
This fly facinated me. It is a squid fly developed by Corbett Davis Sr. and copied from Veverkas book on innovative saltwater flys. I had to copy one for my box.. The use of a surgical glove finger tip for the mantal is really an innovation to the standard squid fly.. It is tyed with some purple bucktail as veins , 8 hackles with two additional wide long ones...Palmered hackle behind the eyes. The body is chenille with glass purple eyes.. Just a great looking realistic squid... I can't wait to try it.

05-21-2002, 10:50 AM
What size hook is this tied on ? How long is the fly?

05-21-2002, 11:03 AM
Hmm . . . I suppose you could use another type of latex "tube" to make an even bigger squid. :devil:

05-21-2002, 11:10 AM
Mike.. I think it was a 2/0 or 3/0 and long... 2 inches or 2 1/2 inches tiemco.. I will have to check when I get home... it can be tied on a shorter hook. If you have Veverkas book take a look. I don't think this would work with a biger piece of Latex.. it looks perfect as a small squid, but the overall lenth is about 5 or 6 ,maybe 7 inches. The finger tip of the latex glove gives you some perspective. Quentin..yes but I think the larger latex will have this little head on top of the big head:devil:

05-21-2002, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the answer. Is that the standard length you tie your squid flies? or do you tie them smaller as well?

I was thinking of the same thing as Quentin. The only problem is.... what would you name the Fly? Not only that but I don't think our significant others would buy the explination..... " No dear, really! they're for my new Squid pattern "

05-21-2002, 11:45 AM
Mike , I definitly tie them smaller... but since I an using the latex glove ,the size has to be pretty much as you see it for this fly... but I tie several that are much smaller. I have larger ones tied with all Angel hair which I copied from Dave Skok after Roop dragged me to the table. Mine are different from Skok (SP?) and I will post one tonight. Buy surgical gloves, don't take the chance with having to explain anything. besides the gloves are cheaper.. 25 to a box..times 5, gives you the potential of 125 Squid flys.

05-21-2002, 11:57 AM
The fly looks great! As I said in my e-mail to you, there is not much call for Squid in Long Island Sound ( low half ). But then again I never tried them. Maybe I'll tie some small ones to try out in some of the Rips. I have to say that little flounder flie looks YUMMIE! I bet its a killer. Need to try a few of those as well. One question though. What did you use for the fins along the sides??? Brownish Saddle ?

John Desjardins
05-21-2002, 12:36 PM
John, Latex gloves come in different sizes, and the individual fingers are sized differently. For smaller flies find a pair of small gloves. Somehow I wound up with a pair of small gloves that you are welcome to. Latex can degrade over time so store the flies/gloves in a zip lock bag.

05-21-2002, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the offer John... I don't think I will be tyeing a ton of these... I haven't even field tested it yet... I tied it to Kill time last night and was interested in Davis's flys.

05-21-2002, 01:54 PM
You could also use balloons to get different sizes and colors. They're more durable and less expensive than my first suggestion and aren't likely to raise any eyebrows.

05-21-2002, 03:23 PM
Mike, I used brown saddle hackles.. I took two and peeled the side off of each and secured them to the shank... could not just use one because it would not reach just beyond the edges.

05-21-2002, 03:42 PM
I see said the blind man! Tell me how it casts. Think that fly would produce up on the Flats of the Cape?? I have to get my rear in gear and start really tying. I have been slacking off ( new girlfriend to blame who does not understand my addiction to fly fishing )

05-21-2002, 05:56 PM

Latex glove! I'm feeling better about my "about to be birthed" hoochie Squid flies. Let me get the overall preferred length for these babies.

05-21-2002, 06:23 PM
Not sure...don't forget, I have not fished this yet..just tied it last night for's about 6 or 7 inches long... the length that was recomended by the tyer in Veverkas book. According to the description ,as it's striped it creates a rush of water out of the mantal and collapes a bit... I think it may be a killer,