Fly Fishing Forum banner

Kreinik - Fly Tying Material

3K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
FYI

Been using the braids and filaments on my steelhead patterns (wets, nymphs, streamers) the last couple of years. Recommend you check these out. Michaels Craft stores has some of their items and some fly shops do also.

Believe their braid made the difference on my steelhead caddis nymph pattern this spring. Also have a lot of items that can be used for trout patterns, such as terrestials.

Good tying and tight lines

http://www.kreinik.com/HTML/threads/fly_tying.html

#2 ·
That glow in the dark stuff they mention sounds

too cool. Best time for fly rods/salmon is just at day brake or the hour or so just before dark. The darkening sky seems to calm them down and slow them up in the areas I tend to fish.

With the fall kings the "BBB" done with white rubber legs is the fly of choice for me. Glow in the dark materials could be an added zest.
fe

#3 · (Edited)
Yes glow in the dark materials work for the kings, at the lake michigan river piers they fish at night with glow in the dark spoons and charge them with camera flash attachments. It works I had the rod almost jerked out of my hand a couple of times by them. Give the glow in the dark a shot. Walmarts has some glow in the dark rope/yarn that many people use for king salmon flies and swear by them. Check it out.

P.S. Hit Michaels today and picked another color of the Kreinik braid but more importantly found the color yarn (beige, and tan) I was running out of for my michigan nymph patterns. Was getting worried. For $ 3 I got two large rolls of yarn that will probably be enough for the rest of my fishing life. If I went to my fly shop for this I would have paid much more for much much less. I love Michael's Crafts.:smokin: :smokin:

#7 ·
I will be doing an online order soon, let me know if you find a good one for this stuff. Tied up some more new patterns this weekend with it. Good stuff ! :smokin: :smokin:

I just don't want the guys on my rivers also using it. Your OK out there Fred.

The more they see the same flies the more they shy away from them in our clear waters. Show them something a little different is always one of my objectives to differentiate my offerings to the buggers.

#10 · (Edited)
Guys Krenik materials are not going to remain a secret for long. I recently saw them in a fly shop, I just can't remember which store. They are interesting stuff, great for ribbing. If only the spools fit a bobbin. I'll have to look for the glow in the dark stuff in the craft stores near me.

Another item that is interesting and in craft stores is the metallic flosses by DMC. Theres also a thread that is has mylar as a strand that can make interesting bodies.

#11 ·
I don't want them to be a secret I want them to stay in business and expand. My fly shop used to have some of there items a couple of years ago, now dropped them, and I am getting their braid from Michaels and other local craft stores.

Just don't use it on my rivers. I need some type of advantage you know.

#12 ·
Boy, the nerve of SOME PEOPLE

John Desjardins said:
Guys Krenik materials are not going to remain a secret for long. I recently saw them in a fly shop, I just can't remember which store. They are interesting stuff, great for ribbing. If only the spools fit a bobbin. I'll have to look for the glow in the dark stuff in the craft stores near me.

Another item that is interesting and in craft stores is the metallic flosses by DMC. Theres also a thread that is has mylar as a strand that can make interesting bodies.
John, just to remind you, in a friendly sort of way :devil: - you told me to keep quiet about using embroidery floss for bodies and ribbing, as I recall...so what's this blabbering about DMC???:hehe:

(now to serious stuff:eek: )

I've picked up DMC embroidery flosses and yarns to use for decorative pin-tying, nymph bodies, underlayment for different salt patterns, etc. I have also purchased Kreinik braided material and small diameter pearlescent thread, most likely from Michael's or A. C. Moore. I haven't noticed a full spectrum selection, either.

#15 ·
p.m., don't forget to visit Sam Walton's store and check the DMC stuff there, too; I might have picked it up there as well. Just to say so, I've bought metallic gold, silver, red, green for Christmas pins and so forth, and I'm looking at the mental picture as I type this - it might have been Sam Walton's place:confused:

#16 ·
Anther access point for the Kreinik materials.

Was putting through the 2001 Bob Marriott's wish list book and found referrences to the Kreinik materials, including the glow in the dark stuff.

If you've got last years (who knows in the 2002) version check out pages 16.1 to 16.4.
fe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.