Fly Fishing Forum banner

smallmouth

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  JD MASCHINO 
#1 ·
hi everybody im new here and just had a great day of fishing in very nasty weather. i finally treid indy fishing today for the first time and it was really effective for the smallies...the weather was cold and drizzilin and the little stream i was fishing was about the only one not blowed out of its banks i usually only catch small crappies and bluegills there but today i caught 12 smallies...none really big but real nice for the stream..10-14 inches. i dont really have nothing important to post i was just really happy and wanted to tell someone...anybody else out there like the small stream smallie fishing.
jd

#2 ·
JD

Yep, sure do just don't tell any one where your river is.

I lived in South Bend for 7 years and fished the St. Joe a lot for smallies and steelhead, now in Chicago and we have a few good ones up here. The St Joe is just 90 minutes away also.

Congratulations on your good day, smallies are always lots of fun.

#5 ·
JD,
Welcome. Yup we got a few smallmouth fans here. I found out last summer that a 12" smallmouth can wreak havoc on a 6 wt. They would be fun in small streams. Around the northeast they tend to be in the larger rivers only. Nice to hear from you.

Lefty

#6 ·
JD,
I'm about 70 miles south of you in Jackson Co. Love those smallies esp on the small streams when it's hot. I have a 7'3" 3wt that is a lot of fun on the small streams. I've been thinking about building a 6' for the streams. Overhead canopy doesn't leave much room for error. eyecrazy:

#7 ·
Just clicked up this thread and had to smile.

Smallmouth bass, steelhead (and toss in a good run of Shad in April-May) and it sounds like your talking about the Russian River in Sonoma County, CA.

Steelhead in the winter (assuming the river wasn't blowen out of shape ... which is was far too often), then wait for the Shad to show up and play with them down by Del Rio, summer go find the bass in the deeper sections of the river above Healdsburg.

Only problem is, northern Calif. is 'bassin country' for most of the folks. Never could get into that, other than the observation that the amount of money I spend on spey equipment is/was "small change" compared to what these guys would drop to catch a fish I wouldn't consider eating.
:rolleyes:

#10 ·
HEY PAT SOUNDS LIKE WERE NEIGHBORS.....I LIVE UP HERE BY REDDINGTON JUST ACCROSS THE COUNTY LINE.....YOULL HAVE TO GET IN TOUCH AND WE CAN DO SOME SMALL STREAM EXPLORING I USE A 7' 6" G. LOOMIS IN THE 4WTMOST OF THE TIME LOTS OF FUN I WENT THE OTHER DAY AND COULDNT BUY A BITE...I COULD EVEN SIGHT FISH FOR THEM THREW EVERYTHING IN MY FLYBOX AND GOT NADA.....THATS HAPPEND A FEW TIMES BEFORE BUT I STILL DONT LIKE IT...

#11 ·
Yes, if you live near Redington we are very close indeed. I live on a farm between Brownstown and Medora.
With regard to the bass, they can be cantankerous. Ive seen them refuse everything I threw for hours and then just turn on unexplainably. (and then I've seen them not turn on at all:eyecrazy: I remember one time on the Susquhenna I was surrounded by smallies that wouldnt hit and then BAM they went on a feed and I couldn't take the fly away from them. Now that was awesome!
Will have to get together. Until then, keep the bass entertained in the Muskatatuck.

#12 ·
hey pat we are pretty close i shoe horses down in that area occasionly...if we can ever get a few dry days ive been planning on a trip to the muskatatuk...maybe the bottom is a little better than where ive been fishing...they have been really soft i sank up to my waist in a sand bar the other day....i didnt really like it all that much either was one of those days i was wishing i had a fishing partner.....probably woulndt have been so bad if the fish were biteing.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.