Migrating fish report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Migrating fish report

broche
04-25-2001, 12:47 PM
Greetings from New Jersey!

I spent some time this morning making phone calls to various fly shops along the coast including Delaware, Jew Jersey, New York and Rhode Island. Fish are being caught in Rhode Island as many of you know but they are believed to be holdover fish. The same holds true for Long Island as there is no mention of Sea Lice on fish being caught. Schoolies with Sea Lice are being caught along the Jersey shore right now. There are also migrating/spawning fish in the Delaware River up into and past Trenton - a colleague of mine caught a couple of fish over 10 lbs here very recently. I may be mistaken, but I believe the first real wave of migrating fish is still making it's way up the New Jersey shorline. Please let me know your thoughts - other reports.

Bill

Adrian
04-25-2001, 05:13 PM
I saw a report on the FFSW Board yesterday of large numbers of fish in the Housatonic estuary. According to the report all the fish appeared to be very well fed with some carrying sea lice.

juro
04-25-2001, 05:54 PM
Given the location of the Housy relative to other areas that remain quiet, there must be something to this. Early bass are known to frequent areas far offshore and migration routes may bypass some areas to make landfall at others.

It's certainly the right time for such reports but I gotta wonder why there while other spots remain fairly quiet?

striblue
04-25-2001, 06:16 PM
Adrian, that reply to your post about the two claves falling on the same date by Ironhead was an uncalled for and unnecessary jab at this forum. I am sure you saw it. I don't know why . I answered that it stood for this board not wrestlers... but I know he knew that. I will hope to see you in Orleans and I hope you stop by my place which I will plan on having a short get together there for a break before heading over for evening get together at the headquarters.

juro
04-26-2001, 09:36 AM
I haven't been 'reading around' lately but you say there are two "claves" at the same date? Maybe we should combine our efforts - the more information we bring to the table the better we will all do.

striblue
04-26-2001, 09:47 AM
Yes... I need to do some fishing.... I am slowly going off the deep end.

Adrian
04-26-2001, 12:52 PM
Hi John

I really didn't read too much into it - some people just can't help themselves. I often wonder what some folk did for relief before there were bulletin boards ???. The key thing is that this board has attracted an exceptional community of interest covering both sides of the USA and also participation from Europe!

I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone on the water and thank your for your offer of hospitality!

saltRon
04-26-2001, 09:05 PM
Adrian----- Dont forget Your Canadian Cousins from coast to coast.
Tight Lines
saltRon

Adrian
04-26-2001, 11:58 PM
Sorry Canada! You just validated my "Freudian Slip" post on the other board (for those who didn't see it I refered to us as WWFF and someone thought it stood for world wrestling federation - absolutely my mistake). But this really IS a World-Wide Flyfishing Forum and it's great to be part of such a brilliant international team!

Maybe sometime we might be able to organize an international clave -some place, some time. I'm sure I could get a contingent from the U.K fired up. Something to think about, maybe for next year, or the year after - doesn't matter when - maybe a long range plan - it would take some organizing but the upside would be worth it! It would be pretty amazing to get such a group together - maybe a long-range project -how about it???

Hawkeye
04-27-2001, 08:02 AM
A truly outstanding idea Adrian! 1st question - Where should we do it? Tropical sounds good to me right now! :)

Adrian
04-27-2001, 08:24 AM
Bahamas / Carribean was my initial thought too! But, let's hear from Canada and Europe!

juro
04-27-2001, 08:34 AM
Yeah baby! How about Andros?

bcasey
04-27-2001, 11:04 AM
Yeah! long range planning for a long distance clave ,sounds like a great idea, give us time to set it up and arrange our schedules and we can do just about anything. I'd jump at the chance to help with organizing something. If there's a good amount of interest, then start posting some ideas and were off and running.

I like the idea of a tropical locale as well, Bahamas seems like the most central spot???

Did I step in something again? Here I go, jumpin in with both feet as well as my mouth. Oh well! lets do it!

Adrian
04-27-2001, 12:08 PM
Andros sounds very good. In terms of some things to consider, how about the following for starters:

1) Level / Quality of accomodation
2) Facility for Self sufficiency (boat rental etc.) vs local guides + Skiffs
3) Time of year (tough call)
4) Location - it's a big Island!
5) When? 2002 / 2003
6) Overall cost - dependent on group size

Any experiences out there?

grego
04-27-2001, 12:31 PM
Is the North Carolina trip for Fall of 2001 going to happen? I have not heard anything about it recently. However, with the local fishing season just getting under way I'm not too surprised. I DEFINATELY want to do it!

bcasey
04-27-2001, 02:23 PM
I don't know if any of you guys saw the show a couple of months ago when Flip Pallet had a huge ship as home base in the Bahamas,Great show, a couple of flats skiffs were carried on board and launched over the side by derrick. I can't think of the name of the ship just now, but I think it was featured in one of my monthly mag.s, I'll have to go lookin if no one knows what I talking about. This was living (unless your an old Navy man or Marine), at night they use the derrick to hoist a pool table out of the hold, place it on deck,crack open the cold beers and, party time. They were also able to pick up and move at a moments notice depending on the wind direction and weather pattern. (at the end of the show I seem to recall a hurricane moving in).

Any Interest?

Adrian
04-27-2001, 03:07 PM
Bcasey

I caught that episode and it looked very interesting. I would be concerned about the itinery however. It seems that more & more long range boats are heading out to the Bahamas from Florida and causing a lot of agro amongst the local guides. Their perception is that the Keys have become fished out and now the U.S. guides are targetting their local fisheries. I sympathize with the locals in this. On Exuma, you can hire a local guide for about $275 a day, in Florida your paying around $400.

There are countless small cays and offshore flats areas down there which never see an island based angler. If the right itinery could be put together I would be very interested.

BTW, we've got a bit "off-thread" here - my fault again!