Big Brother Day - Final Mentor List [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Big Brother Day - Final Mentor List

juro
05-16-2002, 11:20 AM
Call for final commitment to be a Big Brother / FORUM Mentor:

Things change over time so I thought I would ask for a final headcount and commitment of Flyfishing Forum mentors for the Big Brother Day, Father's Day June 16th (Sunday, half day). Please reply here if you are 100% for the outing.

We need at least 15 mentors with at least one extra rod from 7wt to 9wt. Mentors will be expected to be available on Cape Cod for the morning.

Rip Ryder has donated free fares for the little brothers! Kudos to our sponsor for the show of generosity to the kids.

South Beach
June 16th 2002
9am to 2pm
Fishing, fun and picnic lunch on South Beach

ROSTER:

1) striblue
2) nick
3) gregg
4) mike
5) jeffB
6) sean
7) quentin
8) tim watts
9) FredA
10) TomD
11) Ed Shea
12) Roop
13) Rich Soriano
14) Adrian
15) juro

striblue
05-16-2002, 11:30 AM
I am in, as is my oldest boy.. we can be counted as one... I will get the flys once I get the boxes.

Nick
05-16-2002, 11:33 AM
Juro,
I'm in.

John,
I'll get the boxes from work next week. We can figure out how to get the boxes to you then.

Nick

Hawkeye
05-16-2002, 11:43 AM
Gregg, Mike and George Estey are in. Gregg and Mike can be mentors. We have a total of two rods.

striblue
05-16-2002, 12:27 PM
;) Yes... because I think George will need to mentor Gregg and Mike... right?;) :chuckle:

jborkowski
05-16-2002, 12:30 PM
I'm in.

Hawkeye
05-16-2002, 12:40 PM
Yea John. You know, I'm sure, from personal experience that you never give up that "mentor" role once you've taken it on.

Smcdermott
05-16-2002, 12:46 PM
I'm in.

Quentin
05-16-2002, 02:04 PM
I'm in

Chris
05-16-2002, 02:10 PM
Juro,
I can't make this one but I'll put together some event appropriate decals for the fly boxes and get them right out to you.
Chris

timwatts
05-16-2002, 07:46 PM
Looking forward to it.

Roop
05-17-2002, 08:23 AM
I'm in. Let me know if you need help with anything.

Roop

saltydog
05-19-2002, 07:32 AM
JURO, did you get my e-mail?
"GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN"

juro
05-22-2002, 07:26 PM
Just a reminder - we are still a few spots shot of the goal of 15 mentors. Please speak up if you can commit to this event.

We are currently targeting 9am-3pm, with a dawn option for those mentors who are interested in getting the yah yahs out ahead of time.

9am - 10am:
For the first hour (or less) we will do casting, safety and other basics with the kids. We will choose the location based on the wind that day. If they don't get a great cast, don't worry. Most likely we will be doing some casting for them anyway and letting them strip the fly in. We should also think about showing the big brother.

10am - noon: part I fishing - outgoing tide to low slack, this makes it easy to cast off the edge of the flat into deep water

noon - 1: lunch picnic break - the kids' favorite part

1 - 3: part II fishing - incoming tide, might get some fish coming up over the edge

Miscellaneous notes:

Big brother is covering the Rip Ryder fare for the big bro's, Rip Ryder is covering the fare for the little brothers! Alright Rip Ryder!

Expect to help the big brother learn about it too - if either one gets the bug, most likely they will have gained a new fun activity to share with each other. If the big brother casts OK, they could do the cast and strip pair-up between themselves.

We should bring little dip nets and buckets to keep them entertained in the event there are no fish around. A small shovel would be good, we could talk about the clams. It's about having fun not getting a keeper - but we might end up doing BOTH.

The objective is not for us to fish, but to help the little brother experience fishing. If a blitz erupts in front of you and he can't reach, by all means cast for him. If there is a moment where we can hook a fish to let them reel it in, that works too.

We'll keep things at a slow and comfortable pace. It's all about fun, not fish. Kids care much less about fish than we do. If the opportunity arises, great! Otherwise, no worries - it's a great day at the beach.

Safety is the most important thing, fun is second. Chime in! We have a lot to discuss.

FredA
05-22-2002, 07:41 PM
I'm in.

juro
05-22-2002, 07:45 PM
Thanks Fred!

Also:

We should have a couple of hours of dawn fishing and then an hour or two of prep time before the kids arrive to discuss things and go thru the plan. I'll buy the coffee and donuts and stuff, we can take a break at 7am, get coffee and work out the last minute details.

FredA
05-23-2002, 06:22 AM
By the way, the Dennis chapter of the CAC (submittal of application for sanction pending) will be open for the weekend. If any mentors want to make a weekends fishing of it I'll have room.

Nick
05-23-2002, 06:58 AM
Juro,
Plan sounds excellent. The 3pm end time seems great...I may have to be in Boston for a flight that evening. Work travel still up in the air, but I won't let it interfere with the BB stuff.

Big Thanks to the Rip Ryder. Really generous offer!!

I have a small folding military shovel I can bring, and I'll try and see if I can scrounge up a net.

I'm really looking forward to this...I only hope I can help them learn to cast the fly!

Nick

tomd
05-23-2002, 08:18 AM
hey Juro.... why isn't my name on the list??? :( if there is enough interest Ed Shea is interested also. Tom D

juro
05-23-2002, 09:06 AM
Tom -

It will be GREAT to have you and Ed on the outing! Thanks, I'll add you to the list. You may have responded before but I wanted this one to be the "I am 100% committed" roster.

tomd
05-23-2002, 04:49 PM
Juro, Ed reminded me, we have 8 Redstart rods with reels set up for newbies at Crossroads. We can't see there being a problem using them for this, but we'll double check on Tuesday!!! there are 4 6wt, 2 7wt and 2 8 wt... so if anyone wanted to do this but didn't have a spare, we can supply it. Tom D

juro
05-23-2002, 06:14 PM
AWESOME! Thanks guys, that would be really great.

Juro :) :) :)

juro
05-28-2002, 01:49 PM
Two more mentors needed!

tomd
05-28-2002, 02:05 PM
Juro, I may be able to get a couple guys from Crossroads if I ask tonight... do they need to be Forum members? Tom D

Papa-G
05-29-2002, 10:54 AM
Juro you can count me in to help with anything. Gregg didn't count my rod-n-reel when he responded earlier. If you need another rod-n-reel mine will be available.

George :)

Chris
05-29-2002, 03:09 PM
Juro, John and Nick;
I made up a bunch of decals for the fly boxes and sent them out today. They should be arriving in the Forum PO Box shortly. Hope the labels add a little extra to the boys day. Wish I could make this one but I'm committed (or should be). Maybe next year we can call it the second annual Big Brother Outing.

striblue
05-29-2002, 04:09 PM
Chris.. that great... Thanks... Once we have the boxes we will put those stickers on with the best bunch of flys I have... something the kids take with them... and even have for years.

juro
06-02-2002, 06:09 PM
Thanks Rich! Glad to hear you can make it.

Thanks to all the volunteers as well. Hopefully we can get one more to cover the 15 "brothers" potential or maybe we will not get the full 15, we'll find out soon. I will distribute details today to begin the discussion. Feel free to comment on the plans, we want to get this right.

Juro

Adrian
06-05-2002, 10:19 PM
Juro

You can add my name to the "I am 100% committed" roster if you are still short. I will be there anyway and look forward to helping out any way I can.

juro
06-06-2002, 05:12 PM
THANKS ADRIAN!!!

We have quorum folks!

We will meet at 9am and fish with the gang until 3pm on Sunday, June 16th. Location and other details will arrive via email soon.

If you have a small spinning rod, you should consider bringing it. I have heard of these things called "sluggos" that looked like a deep eel imitation to me. :devil:

I will be bringing three or four striper flyrod/reel/line setups, 3-5 stripping baskets and even a spinning rod. If someone can show me how to use the spinning rod I would appreciate it. :devil:

Whether we have only fly, only spin, fly and spin - it really doesn't matter, because we are doing this to have fun and bring a little joy to the little brothers on a day that I would bet leaves an empty feeling in their hearts each year. We're going to fill that void.

If you end up fishing spin only - no problem.

If you go fly only, put the basket on the kid and cast the fly, let him strip it in.

If fly and spin, start with one and work toward the other as the pace would allow.

Dig a clam, pick up a horseshoe crab, point out a bird, find a schoolie if you can. Tell a funny joke or two. Most of all, enjoy the day and lets give the kids a day they will not soon forget!

Detailed plan (word document) will arrive as an email attachment soon.

Juro

Quentin
06-06-2002, 06:03 PM
Juro,

I'll bring two small spinning outfits and all the sluggos we should need. (I don't use 'em anymore :hehe: ) I'll also bring an el cheapo 5/6wt in addition to the 9wt I've been using.

Someone asked about waders and I think you said not to worry about it. I do have an extra pair of non-insulated boot-foot waders that may fit one of the big brothers. The butt seam is split but I'll patch it if you think I should bring them.

Q