First Striper of the season fly? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: First Striper of the season fly?

Roop
05-15-2002, 04:10 PM
For those who have been lucky enough to get out, what worked for you?

For me - Flip Pallot's Prince of Tides. I was trying to use something without clouser eyes. I thing the barbie fly would have worked the fish were so desperate to be hooked!

What worked for you?

Dble Haul
05-15-2002, 04:16 PM
You'll like this, Jeff. My first stripers of the year where taken on CLOUSERS, either an all chartruese or a red and white.

I LIKE CLOUSERS TOO! :p

I look forward to the days of fishing bangers and pencil poppers for schooling stripers and blues, and to throwing sand eel patterns to fish on the flats.

I have to stop thinking about all of this. I need to concentrate on work. :eyecrazy:

Nick
05-15-2002, 04:29 PM
Capt. Ray's Clouser that he gave me at the Spring Clave is all I've caught fish on so far. He was right. It does catch fish. Even in the pounding surf on the outside of South Beach.

Nick

JimW
05-15-2002, 04:33 PM
Dead drifting a rays fly worked for me.

Hawkeye
05-15-2002, 05:22 PM
Drifting a no recipe flatwing on Nauset beach. 29"

doogue
05-15-2002, 05:40 PM
Grego's epoxy sandeel from the SW fly swap.

Thanks Grego!

Quentin
05-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Olive/chartreuse/white Clouser during the day, black deceiver and black deer hair bass bug at night.

Q

jared
05-15-2002, 09:06 PM
it was anything with a hook fished deep......

Adrian
05-15-2002, 10:13 PM
Clousers (aka jig) on the lower Housy in April - but - 50+ on an L&L special flatwing in one day somewhere on the cape recently. Those who got one in the swap - don't be shy. Fish it on a floater. They come up from nowwhere and grab it with a lovely surface splash:D

jborkowski
05-16-2002, 02:18 AM
rootbeerish deep eel. sight fishing south beach.

FishHawk
05-16-2002, 05:54 AM
For me it was a chartreuse and white Clouser. My first striper of the season, 24" beauty fresh from the sea. Its my go to fly. Maybe because I caught my first ever striper on this fly. I have spent the winter tying the flatwing style fly, which is the current hot fly this year and but I still reach for my confidence fly evertime.

FishHawk:smokin:

FredA
05-16-2002, 07:06 AM
Twinkie on a Unique Hair white/olive-chartruese blend Deep Eel clouser.

Lefty
05-16-2002, 09:23 AM
An old sneaker with some crystal flash on it:D

OK, actualy Olive over White Clouser for a pig 18" er.

Lefty

Roop
05-16-2002, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys, I figured some of the newbies/ lurkers out there might be encouraged by the ease of fly selection for this time of year - as long as the fish are where you are, it doesn't really matter what fly you're using.

By the way, just to clarify, my fly was un-weighted & I used an intermediate line. Trying to reatly reduce the QD use this season.

striblue
05-16-2002, 10:51 AM
Olive Popolvic "Hollow" deciever. 3 inches.. olive and white with flash dispersed as called for in his recipe.

juro
05-16-2002, 11:21 AM
My new "keel eel" (no barbell eyes), name not final might be "NAC" (not a clouser :hehe: ) or NOYB.

Anyway, 34" fat, bright w/ sealice, sighted from a pod, led and landed.

So glad spring is here!

BirdFish
05-16-2002, 12:36 PM
Chatuse over white Clouser, small yellow eyes on a size 1 hook.
Dave Williams

Wellhooked
05-16-2002, 01:08 PM
I have found that there are other variables to consider in addition to the fly that I am using. What kind of line am I using? Should I us a floating line, sinking line, or intermediate? Is the floating line swinging in the current or am I casting and retrieving it back? How fast was my swing and where in the swing did they hit the fly? Was the fly in a dead drift? How long should I let the sinking line sink and what is my retrieve? What is the depth of my water that I am throwing in with an intermediate? What is the retrieve or the swing like? When I am throwing a certain fly what bait am I trying to imitate that time of season? What is the color of the bait and size? Was the bait close to the surface or on the bottom? The most important question is how were the fish taking your fly. Did they hit it hard or was it a soft take or did you not feel the take at all and all of a sudden the fish was on? Just because you buy a Stradivari violin for a four year old does not mean she will be able to play in the symphony.

Todd

grego
05-16-2002, 02:03 PM
>>>Grego's epoxy sandeel from the SW fly swap. Thanks Grego! <<<

Doogie, You're Very Welcome!!

Mine was on a small super-hair Clouser olive over white #1 hook ~3"

:D

Roop
05-16-2002, 02:39 PM
Capt. Todd all excellent points - for a blonde guy in a red boat!

You didn't answer the question though + I'd be interested to know WHEN you hooked your first striper of the year?

Roop

Chris
05-16-2002, 03:14 PM
Last Sunday, inside of so. beach. Ya know- deep eel, which by the way was snotted by the end of the morning but stiil took fish.

Wellhooked
05-16-2002, 06:07 PM
Hi Roop

I wanted to add a few more questions. Was it cloudy out or was it a bright sunny day? Which way was the tide flowing, ebb or flood?

I want to share with you that the season started in January. I was out this winter fishing around the Cape in the evening. I saw lots of shrimp, isopods, silversides and mummies. I was able to rise a fish in March but missed and saw a fish under the lights feed on isopods one night. I did not have a chance to go to RI but there were many fish caught starting in January in the salt ponds. If you go to the fishing reports on Stripermoon you will see some great posts (Jan. 7, Jan. 13th, Jan. 18th) that people were fishing right through the winter. Some of those fish were high in the water at night feeding like they would in June. They were using floating lines and flatwings.

I was not so fortunate to catch a fish in the winter but had my opportunity on April 22nd. I will just have to fish harder this coming winter.

On the 22nd I don't know what fish I caught first. The one that hit the back fly or the one that hit the dropper. My fourth cast with a floater I made a mend. In the middle of the swing, which was over the seam the fish hit. It was either the three inch flatwing in the back or the two inch flatwing in the front. The take was very soft as if they were sucking in the flies. I was not stripping the flies but allowing the current to make them look alive and natural. The day was kind of overcast and I had tied the flies in drab colors to imitate the silversides that we had in the river. I found that this time of the season the fish will be in the rivers way up inside just before they open up into the salt ponds on the flood.

Jimmy
05-16-2002, 09:35 PM
Todd,

The questions you ask in your first post are,as Roop said, very interesting. Most of them are pretty self explanatory. You stated that the most important question is how the fish takes your fly.
As a novice at fly fishing, what does this mean? Or does it mean anything at all? Will the fish hit harder if the fly is reteieved at a different pace? Or is it just up to the fish to decide?:confused:

Hawkeye
05-16-2002, 10:11 PM
My salt water experience is fairly limited but I can tell you that you can tell a lot about a trout and what it is eating by studying how it is rising.

a few examples:

What you think is a rise may actually be a tail - the fish are taking nymphs or some such thing from the bottom.

The rise is subtle - no bubble - a good chance the fish is taking nymphs on the way up before hatching or emergers.

The rise is subtle - with bubble - taking surface food that is not likely to get away and may also indicate a larger sized fish.

A splashy rise - taking surface food that has a good chance of getting away and may also indicate younger/smaller fish.

I have not learned yet if the take of a striper indicates what it is feeding on but I would not be surprised to find that that is the case.

Adrian
05-16-2002, 11:12 PM
A happy striper takes a sub-surface fly by flipping over on its side, sucking in the sub-surface fly and giving the surface a good "splat" with its tail ...

I was casting a big (!2" plus) flatwing recently and a fish took the fly and spat it out before I set the hook -(OK, my fault). What's interesting is the fly came back in a tangled clump of feathers, bucktail and tinsel. The fly had obviously been sucked into the mouth cavity and given a good "suck" before being spat out.

Wellhooked
05-17-2002, 12:03 AM
We have had some really great conversations over the winter on Stripermoon about feeding fish. There are no posts that come to mind on the site but there are some things written on feeding fish in the article archives. "In the Drift" is one and "Clam Worm Fundamentals" also. The one that I have read many times is the 1st chapter of Kenney's book, "Stripermoon," which goes into great detail on the subject.

There are two ways stripers will feed: aggressively, or they will sit back and wait for the food to come to them. But, there is so much more to this.

Todd

Roop
05-17-2002, 09:00 AM
One thing you have to remember is that Capt. Todd was catching fish when others were waxing their skis. That's what I was trying to get him to tell you guys about.

He has access to many more fishing situations/ conditions than the average wading saltwater fly fisherman and therefore has the opportunity to use a wider arsenal of tactics than most. I agree that there is so much more to this than just lobbing a fly 10' and hooking up to a 40" fish.

My intent was to illustrate that for the novice that these early season fish are not fussy.

People who were hitting the salt for the first time these last few weeks were hooking up and landing some great fish. What a great way to get started in this sport!!

I'd hate to tell you how long I've been fly fishing in the salt and having limited success. Most of that was due to lack of free time & lack of knowledge. I think this site & others are a great way to fast track peoples knowledge & abilities. Again, I agree that there is so much more to this than just lobbing a fly 10' and hooking up to a 40" fish. But come on, it's not rocket science. And, that's a good thing because I am far from a rcket scientist.

Personally, I'm not very good at verbally illustrating how I fish in certain conditions. At this point in my fly fishing career, I go to where I suspect there are fish & use whatever technique necessary to get the fly to the level of the water column where the fish are. Sometimes it's a technique or drift I've never used and I really enjoy that but don't ask me to tell you what phase the moon was or what mine or the fishes biorythms were.

My number one priority is staying tight to the fly. Only over the last 2 - 3 years have I been able to notice the extremely subtle tap, tap, taps that I probably used to think was the fly bouncing off structure.

The challenge for me - now - is changing up my retrieve to entice a more agressive strike or be able to set on the subtle taps and fish more difficult conditions.

It's all an evolution of your abilities but getting back to the original intent of this thread, the early season fish aren't fussy & it's a great way for a novice to get started.

Roop

Jimmy
05-17-2002, 11:43 PM
Getting back to the intent of the post......olive over yellow over white clouser. That was a good day.:)

Tod D
05-18-2002, 11:20 AM
1st striped one of season: olive fireworm flatwing on a 1/0 hook.

1st "keeper": last night, 11:45 p.m. on a popper. 33" and a bit of a fatty - the fish, not the fly...:D

Wellhooked
05-19-2002, 06:29 PM
There’s so much talk about how to cast, where to fish, and what fly to use, but there seems to be so little sharing about how to fish. Once you have the fly rod, the line, the flies, and the cast
somewhat down, what next? The novice needs to understand that there are many more variables affecting the behavior of the fish, because if and when the fish become more particular about what they’re feeding on, what does the novice do then? I don’t think the novice should disregard the fact that the fish are not always willing to commit suicide by “attacking” any fly. You can present a fly to a fish and he may refuse the fly. It is very important for the novice to have some understanding based on what is actually true about the feeding habits of fish throughout the year, then they can be successful throughout the year. So I added questions which are fundamentals that the novice can study. He can learn and gain knowledge and insight about the stripers and their habitat and how their mood is affected by the circumstances within the environment that he is feeding in. Sharing the fundamentals with people will make them better fishermen and help them to catch fish, not just in the spring but summer and fall as well. They will become better fishermen and have success throughout the year. Just throwing your fly out there and crossing your fingers may in fact catch a fish, but what did you learn if you are successful so you can be successful again and again? Perhaps we should give the fish a little more credit, Roop.

Roop
05-20-2002, 07:52 AM
Todd, good job pretending you didn't see me yesterday;) Just kidding, I was probably 3/4 of a mile away each time I saw you.

I hope you see this as a lively debate with no animosity intended - just trying to encourage people to get out & fish.

They definitely got the best of me this weekend.

The wind created a chop later in the day making sighting for a wading fisherman tough until they were with 15' away. Tried setting up on pathways to intercept them on the flood but their seemed to be no finite path in the area i was in for the afternoon flood. Saw more fish then I've ever seen on the flats though.

In the morning though, landed one blind casting an area where as I was hiking out & I saw a channel form where there hadn't been one before, made a mental note that it probably held fish & to check it out. As I got closer I looked up searching for the channel and realized it was a HUGE school of fish in about 3'-4' of water. Too bad they were @ 1/2 a mile away as they had slipped off the flat and into the deeps.

Found an interesting area on the drop that was actually being flooded due to the current. Saw many fish, sight cast to many, hooked up a few times as did my brother-in-law but we were so intent on the cast & placement that we blew it on the hook sets.

** JIM SIMMS - MY FLIES WERE VERY SHARP **

Great day, a learning day, a technical casting & presentation day. But I still firmly belive that a novice can easily go out & fish an area with a current where he can cast across with a sinking or intermediate line, let the line & fly swing around with the current & hook up. It always worked for me.

Roop

jimS
05-20-2002, 08:14 PM
Jeff, glad you are hooking fish with sharp hooks! Won't get out on the cape until the 1st of June. I've then got at least two weeks to fish everyday, weather and family obligations permitting.

Sounds like the season has started on a real roll this year. Reports indicate there are a lot of fish and the twinkies have grownup.

We'll get together, I hope. I've got some new spots I'd like to share with you; although the ones we fished last year were very productive.

Remember Lefty's five principles:
- The more difficult the cast, the longer you move the rod thru an arc.
- You must get the line moving before you can make a cast.
- The fly is going to go in the direction that you speedup and stop.
- The size of the loop is determined by how fast and far the tip is moved and then stopped.
- Rotate your hand 45 degrees for behind the body casts on long or more difficult casts.

Parato's Theory: 80 per cent of the fish are caught by 20 per cent of the fishermen.

Wellhooked
05-21-2002, 09:09 PM
Sorry Roop, that was not me on the water--I was in Maine. And if I was, you know I would have waved or picked you up.

Todd