SaltWater Edge Spring Clave - May 18/19 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: SaltWater Edge Spring Clave - May 18/19

juro
05-12-2002, 05:22 PM
This coming weekend is the Rhody Spring Clave with our sponsors at SWE. Specifics will be announced but generally the venue is to meet up for some Sat AM striper hunting, then convene at Newport for the mid-day get together. I believe there will be a presentation about worm hatch fishing by very knowledgeable speaker on the topic, as well as flies and tying discussion. Then the gang will go out and look for worm hatches in the Narragansett backwaters. Actually the ride to Quonny or Ninigret isn't bad and that hotel Art Burton told us about is a great deal right on the road to Misquamicut (same one Quentin mentioned) for those who want to head further west, not to mention tons of places to stay in Newport, etc.

More to come...

Jimmy
05-15-2002, 08:33 AM
Any details yet?

jenks
05-15-2002, 08:08 PM
Here’s the long story short.
Juro and I have decided to postpone the Spring Clave scheduled for Saturday on the salt ponds in RI.
Last February we thought an event coinciding with the worm hatch would be fun. Most folk agree that moon tides set up the ideal scenario of a dropping tide at dusk. In this situation bass often feed like trout taking the worms from the film and holding behind structure. Great stuff!!
This May the moon tides fall on Mother’s Day and Memorial Day. Lousy dates. As a result we settled on the 18th.
Things unraveled a bit from there. Our special guest, Captain Bob Hines an acknowledged expert on worms now has a command performance at work that can’t be rescheduled. The 18th is also the date for the Aquidneck Island Ray’s Fly Tourney (a tradition every year the weekend before Memorial Day…rules below).
The Saltwater Edge extends an invitation to all Forum Members to join the Aquidneck Island Ray’s Fly Tourney. We have a good time every year celebrating stripers; Rhode Island’s rich saltwater fly fishing traditions and Newport’s natural beauty. If it works for you please join us.
When Bob Hines and I reschedule I will post that info.

On Saturday the 18th The Saltwater Edge will sponsor the 3rd Annual Aquidneck Island Ray’s Fly Tourney. The Tourney runs form 3 PM to 9 PM with a cook out at the shop at 9:30. Winners will be awarded Gift Certificates for 1st through 3rd Place ($200, $100 and $50 respectively). Come celebrate striped bass, saltwater fly fishing tradition and Aquidnecks’ natural beauty.

Aquidneck Island Ray’s Fly Rules:
1. Anglers may fish only after:
* Registration form is complete and not prior to 3PM
*Each angler will receive an official tape measure, trash bag and fishing log
2. All anglers must fish with a Ray’s fly (droppers allowed)
3. All anglers must fish from the shores of Aquidneck Island and will be
limited to areas that do not require special permission from the land
owner to access.
4. Fishing will be in pairs of registered anglers, The Saltwater Edge
will create pairs by drawing names from a hat if needed.
5. All fish are to be handled with care and released alive if possible
6. The striped bass shall be measured form snout to tip of tail. Girth
will be measured at the proximal base of the dorsal fin
7. Fish will be measured, recorded and witnessed by the angling partner.
8. Each angler must collect a full bag of trash from his or her fishing location in order to enter a fish
9. Each angler must stop fishing at 9PM and return to the shop by 9:30 for cook out and awards ceremony

bcasey
05-16-2002, 06:55 AM
You guys diden't have to reschedule this thing just for me:devil: But I'm glad you did. I did not want to miss it.

juro
05-16-2002, 02:04 PM
May's a tough month to get away, so much going on and a lot of fishing too!

Pete, thanks a million for the invitation to the Ray's fly tourney - sounds like a winner. Nice of you to offer such great prizes, and the prerequisite bag-o-trash is a GREAT idea.

Juro