Fly Fishing Forum banner

First cast, first fish!

966 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BirdFish 
#1 ·
I got out striper fishing for the first time last night and met with success. My buddy and I got out onto Joppa Flats at about 6:30 and on my first cast, I got a beautiful 11 inch striper! The next 4 casts resulted in 3 more fish, nudging up into the low and mid teens. We fished for about an hour and a half and I probably caught a dozen or so stripers. Nothing too big, but a lot of fun. All on a chartuse ove white clouser. It was a very encouraging way to start the season!
Dave Williams
Reading, MA

#2 ·
Dave,

That was me that left soon after you arrived. If you saw a guy hook up and lose a fish just as you walked off of the mud flat and into the water then that was me.

I started fishing with bigger flies in order to try and find some larger fish. Alas, all that I found was that I was missing hits from micro-bass.

It is too bad that we did not get a chance to fish together. I was only leaving because my wife was reading a book on the sea wall and I wanted to get back to her (I had been out for an hour).

I want to encourage future fishing outings by making sure that I do not strand her.

Hope to see you soon.

-Mike

#3 ·
Mike,
Sorry I missed you. We were talking with an older gentleman who was telling us about his 40 years of fishing the area. Very interesting stuff. He had caught and released a 30 inch fish at the end of the outgoing tide. Yeah, my fish were all small, with the biggest probably 16". But, boy, was it fun being back out striper fishing! I'll be looking for you up there.
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.