Two unrelated questions [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Two unrelated questions

Redleg
05-09-2002, 02:33 PM
Let me see if I can phrase this question right.

If you had a bunch of money to throw to an on-line fly shop, which one (by name) would you pick?

I've noticed that most of the shops have the same prices on new gear, but was wondering which shop has *earned* the most loyalty from this crowd and why.

---------------
Second question (and poll). If you had to pick one line weight for inshore SW flyfishing near VA, which would it be, and why?

Once again, ladies and gents, thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.

Brian

steelheadmike
05-09-2002, 03:11 PM
Just picked up the new Sci Angler Striper line. ( Intermediate ) and its GREAT. I would highly suggest you get an Intermediate line to start.

JimW
05-09-2002, 04:16 PM
Since I get so much valuable info from this site, I would choose from one of the sponsors of the board. Not all of them do mail order. I know the bears den does http://www.bearsden.com and Dave Bitters at the baymen shop has some online sales http://www.baymenoutfitters.com Some of the others may too, check out the banners on the top of the page.

I would rather go to a shop but the next best thing is to call. Usually the shop keeper has some local knowledge that is worth paying for. Unless you're talking ebay what are you really going to save in the end by purchasing online. To me it's worth a couple extra bucks to go to a shop. I spend my fishing dollars at the shops that provide an added value an support the info sites like the forum.

On the line - I like the clear intermediates. I've used the Cortland and Airflo. If a clear line is not important the Cortland 444sl rocket taper is a great casting line. These are lines I've had good luck with in the NorthEast, I don't know if they would fit your fishing style.

Penguin
05-09-2002, 05:20 PM
I've had very good experiences with the FFF sponsors!...They take care of me and I do my bit to help them stay in business.
It's important to support the local shops because if you don't, eventually there won't be any... Even if you can beat a price by a few $'s on-line, it's worth the "investment" to patronize and support "your shop" where you can always get good local knowledge and where "they" will help you out when you have a special want/gotta'have... my .02

Doc Duprey
05-09-2002, 08:35 PM
Redleg,

Let me add my $0.02 in agreement with Penguin's comment. Supporting local business in general is a good idea in my book too. Having said that, the sponsors on this site could be considered local in a sense, so I'd count on them too. Having done business so far only with Baymen Outfitters and Saltwater Edge, I can say that they are both good outfits and you won't go wrong.

As far as lines go, I am a big-time newbie in the salt, but am quite impressed with the new SA intermediate, and the Airflo floating lines. They both handle quite well in the colder waters up here.

Best regards,

-Doc

Dble Haul
05-09-2002, 09:14 PM
While I prefer to buy my gear at a local shop, I have had very good experiences shopping with feather-craft.com. The customer service is outstanding, and they have a very good selection of flytying stuff. They also sell rods, reels, lines, flies, and the other assorted gear. It would be easy for me to dump a lot of $$$$ there.

For your second question, I would choose a 9 weight. It's a nice compromise for estuaries, tidal creeks, and sloughs and the rocky shore, surf, and rips. If I could have two, I would choose an 8 weight and a ten weight so that I could more optimally cover the lighter and heavier applications that I just listed. And if you could have only one type of line, start with an intermediate. It covers more situations than a speciality quick descent or floater.

Jimmy
05-09-2002, 10:40 PM
Redleg,

Here's my $0.02 for what it's worth. I support our sponsors but by phone not by computer. I'm the type who would rather do bussiness person to person. I think a call with an order means more than just an order. I also support my local shop. They're good people. Plus I'm working on them to provide some sponsorship.:devil:

As far as line goes, I haven't got a clue. But I did pick up an 8wt Sci Angler Quad-Tip. Comes with floating,clear intermediate,sinking and fast sinking heads. A littlle on the costly side, but I've paid more for alot less.

Redleg
05-10-2002, 12:12 AM
Thanks, everybody, for your help. I think I'll take the majority's advice: Think Global, buy local.

:eyecrazy: