RI Worm Hatch info? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: RI Worm Hatch info?

DanD
05-09-2002, 10:11 AM
Never been into a worm hatch before, and hoping to find one in RI this weekend. Any advice will be very welcome!
Thanks,
Dan

GregD
05-10-2002, 03:34 AM
Hi Dan,

I haven't been to a worm hatch either and would love to see this thread flush out all the collective knowledge on the forum on the subject.

I understand they typically start when the salt water ponds reach 60 degress F or better. Occur at night, and in or near the eel grass and mud areas. I heard mention of the moon phases being a factor and judgeing from the dates posted by Juro that equates to the new moon and full moon?

I, Brandon and Josh found our first clam worms wading around in the shallows around Charlston Breachway on 5/8. The hatches there appear to be
located in the eel grass and mud areas not sandy areas. Access at Charlston Breachway to the hatch area would require a boat , kayak or one determined wader without small children. ;)
Quonny looks like you can wade along the grass and the flats without a problem, sweet fly fishing spot that should have a hatch as well. When the conditions are right, I'd expect many spots produce worms in Rhode Island considering the number of bays and estuaries there.

The worms we found were red, white and blue striped about 4-5 inches long and moving through shallow water in a spinning corkscrew like fashion. A Clam worm fly would probably require something like a lip or a very unbalanced fly to simulate that kind of action. I have some ideas I am playing with based on Bob Popovics techniques. I know Kenny Abrahms has a few proven patterns that are good for worm hatch conditions. ;) I also think throwing a herring or squid around the periphery of the hatch area could produce some interest as well.

That's about all I know about them right now, interested in learning more about them myself.

Thanks,
Greg.

juro
05-10-2002, 06:08 AM
Dan, Greg -

The weekend after (17 & 18th) is all about the worm hatch, that's the weekend we meet at Saltwater Edge with Peter Jenkins and friends to tie, talk and prep for a worm hatch outing near Newport RI.

You should consider it if you are interested in unlocking the mystery.

Nick
05-10-2002, 07:07 AM
FWIW, you can wade Quonny a good ways out on the drivein side of the breachway. There is a channel there off to the left, but the flats to the right head out a good distance. This was a few years ago, but it never really changed that much over the times I was there, so I assume its the same. And Yes, I hear Quonny has a nice hatch as well. Personally, I think its better than Charlestown, since its easier to access without a boat.

Now those little creaks and turns off the Inner Charlestown breachway that we bumped into this spring look like they would hold stripers much like trout. Lots of undercut banks and deep holes surrounded by wadable flats. If was a striper, I would wait and gobble worms all evening long from those haunches. Unfortunately, they very rarely think like I do.:rolleyes:

Nick

DanD
05-10-2002, 12:01 PM
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to give it a shot.
Juro, would love to attend next week, but can't make it. I hope a good report gets posted.

GregD
05-10-2002, 09:28 PM
I wish I could go to the upcoming weekend with Peter Jenkins, But I doubt I can make it either. For those interested in learning more I found a very informative page from Kenny Abrames on the subject.

http://www.stripermoon.com/archive/arc3.html

Nick - Thanks for the additional info. I too thought the wading around the Charlston Breachway looked enticing, maybe some of those stripers will share your sentiments. Quonny has alot of good spots to try as well, tough choice as they are both nice.

Greg.

FishHawk
05-11-2002, 04:26 AM
Attended a seminar of catching Big Bass at Marlboro this winter and the guide giving the show said that a common mistake people make durning a worm hatch is to fish big flies imitating large bait fish feeding on the worms. The cows are underneath picking off the fish feeding on the worms. FishHawk

juro
05-11-2002, 11:34 PM
That was Bob Hines, a soon-to-be sponsor of the Forum.

http://www.mustad.no/fishingaction/pics_stories/na_02_94.htm

jared
05-14-2002, 01:35 PM
dand --

so how'd it go??????

DanD
05-14-2002, 01:38 PM
Here is my quick report of RI last Fri/Sat.
Great plans but.....got out of work later than planned, got caught in a monster traffic snarl, finally got to Westerly right around dark.
Freezing cold, tried a few casts, but gave up and went to bed.
Saturday, fished the breechways with NO, repeat NO sign of fish.
Several locals about, no body had any action (but, "should have been here Thursday..."). Beautiful day, ebbing tide rushing out of the breechways (from Westerly to Charleston), great looking water. No, nada, nothing. Chilly temps maybe?
Quit about 3, went home, but vowing to come back in a couple weeks.