Great News For Saturday/ MAY 11th [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Great News For Saturday/ MAY 11th

Wellhooked
05-08-2002, 08:39 AM
Hello everyone

I have some really great news for Saturday. Kenney Abrames will be joining us down at Nauset Beach. Kenney has been very successful with putting together his Tuesday night fishing in Rhode Island. He had well over 600 people attend last summerís Tuesday night fishing and what a great time they have been. Kenney and I have been planning over the winter to somehow have something similar here on the Cape. We are starting one of several on Saturday with fishing the surf on the outer beaches. We hope to have one every month on a Saturday so most of you can come share, learn and join in the fun. Kenney suggested that I put this together so people will feel that they have an understanding of how the waters fish in and around the Cape. We also want to help with the variety of bait that live in our waters, the flies to imitate, and the gear to help in the presentation.

We are fortunate to have Kenney sharing his knowledge about fishing with us as a friend and fellow fisherman.

Todd

Jimmy
05-08-2002, 08:47 AM
That does it. I need to move! Some place between the elbow of the Cape and Newport.

Wellhooked... I'll be trying to attend a couple of Tuesday nights with Ken this year. Hope to see you there. Saturdays will be difficult. Four hours is just too long to drive. Newport is doable.(sp) Looking forward to this weekend.

juro
05-08-2002, 11:21 AM
That's a whole lot of knowledge sharing over a single summer! This is going to be a great weekend for kicking off the season.

LOOKING FORWARD TO IT! (and that's putting it mildly!)

bcasey
05-08-2002, 02:32 PM
Todd,
As I sit in my office on an incredible day (weather wise) I'm bummed out bigtime that my wifes yard sale, kids lacross game and company anniversary party are all on this Saturday and I'm gonna miss out on the event of the year. This morning I was thinking on the way to work, why dosen't Todd do the Ken Abrames routine on the Cape beaches, Thinking to myself " I'm sure it's a lot of work !"
Now, you've made my day, I won't miss out, I'll just be first in line for round 2. This is a great idea, what can I do to help ?
SOUNDS LIKE A BLAST !!!

jborkowski
05-08-2002, 06:49 PM
this is getting better by the minute. just booked a room down there for fri/sat/sun...

:) :p :smokin: :devil: :cool: :D

Adrian
05-09-2002, 05:14 AM
Fantastic - way to go Todd and Kenney.

This is going to be one to remember.

juro
05-09-2002, 07:35 AM
What to do:

Go to the main public lot at Nauset Beach at 1pm on Saturday May 11th. Take exit 12 from route 6 heading east from the bridge. Go right off ramp and take a right at the first light following Nauset Beach >> signs. Continue straight thru next set of lights at police station (sign Nauset Beach ^^) and right at the next set of lights (sign Nauset >>).

You will pass through East Orleans with Fancy's country store on the right (great place to grab a sandwich!) and Harry Koon's store on the left, Nauset Angler (stop in and harrass Harry for a while ;) ) Harry is on the left side of the road across from the Barley Neck Inn.

Stay on the main road and the beach rd will be on the right. Follow that down to the entrance. Plenty of free parking as they say.

According to Todd, we should bring floating lines and flatwings to participate. I guess that rules me out! Just kidding, I've brushed off some of my summer steelhead floaters just for this outing.

Contrary to previous discussions there is no need to shuttle people out to the beach by 4x4. Nick and Jeff if we still want to meet at 11:30-ish for oversand trials let me know.

I might be showing a couple guys around in the morning but if not we should hook up for the dawn sortie somewhere, will let you know.

Jimmy
05-09-2002, 07:50 AM
One of the guys at work said that part of Rt6 is closed. Any truth to that? If it's true, how will it change these very detailed directions?;)

Nick
05-09-2002, 07:59 AM
Juro,
I'd love to still give it a try oversand, I'm planning on being down there in the pre dawn hours. I'd love to meet anyone who's around down there for some scouting. Might bring the Yak down too.

Nick

juro
05-09-2002, 08:41 AM
If the section is closed continue to the Orleans rotary and go right onto 28 heading past Nauset Marine to the police station, take a left at that light and a right at the next light and you're on the same road.

Or if you're coming up from Chatham on 28 you'll end up at the same police station. The trick is to get to the police station... that's TO the police station, not IN it. :devil:

Nick -

I will call about 4x4.

FredA
05-09-2002, 09:04 AM
I believe the section thats been closed is after the Rt 134 exit in Dennis. I'm not sure how far down it's closed, if it's closed on weekends or if it is even still closed. Possible detours are to take 134 north down to 6A, or 134 south to Upper County road, take a left at light then an immediate left onto Great Western and stay on that road, through Harwich center.... eventually the road becomes, ah Rt 39 I think, and into Orleans... Help!

Anyhow I think you need to find out what the status of the construction is.

DFix
05-09-2002, 09:44 AM
This info MA Highway, I checked it:

As of 1500 hrs Friday, 10 May 02, Rte. 6 is expected to be open to traffic in both directions thru the mentioned construction zone. The construction zone is between Exits 9 and 10; consisting of ramp reconstruction at Exit 9, and bridge replacement between Exit 9 and Exit 10.

I didn't read this from some website, I called and got through to the site engineer's office at the job.

Have fun, everyone.

Jimmy
05-09-2002, 10:45 AM
Never had a problem finding the local police station before. Why should this time be any different?:devil:

striblue
05-09-2002, 11:00 AM
Jimmy, I will be at CAC Friday night so I will see you then... Is it correct that the meeting place is the Nauset Beach Parking lot? At 1Pm?

Wellhooked
05-09-2002, 11:35 AM
 Those that are traveling from off Cape and are wondering about the detours, there will be normal Cape traffic but no detours on Saturday. They only run them during the week days and stop construction on the weekends.

Don't forget to go in the back yard and practice your casting with a floating line. It is harder to cast a floating line after casting a depth charge for so long. Remember to slow your casting stroke down and wait for the line to roll out to an open "J" before you start your forward cast.
See ya at the beach

Smcdermott
05-09-2002, 01:22 PM
I would love to get together Saturday morning if you will be around. Nick, I don't have a Kayak yet (my sister is pregnant and giving me hers for the summer on Sunday) so if that's a requirment just let me know. I will be glad to bring some breakfast snacks and gatorade!

Sean

Nick
05-09-2002, 01:30 PM
Sean,
Not a requirement...I am not sure if I'm even going to bring mine as I'm gonna be heading into Boston for a night out after fishing. The kayak on roof doesn't really fit into the parking garage:tsk_tsk:. Not so sure what the plan is, but I'll let you know as we get closer.

Nick

Roop
05-09-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Wellhooked
 Don't forget to go in the back yard and practice your casting with a floating line.

Hey! I resemble that remark!! :hehe:

Osprey
05-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Hey Guys,
I am looking foreward to seeing you this weekend. I hear that the fishing is suposed to be really good. Well see you this weekend.Killrey.gif

jborkowski
05-09-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Nick
Juro,
I'd love to still give it a try oversand, I'm planning on being down there in the pre dawn hours. I'd love to meet anyone who's around down there for some scouting. Might bring the Yak down too.

Nick

Nick,

Where you been? I'm an old pro at the 4x4 stuff now. Been a tough learning curve though...and costly too. Dumped my new jeep first time out. What can I say, I was told to take the hills head on :devil:

jborkowski
05-09-2002, 10:34 PM
It then occurred to me it really wasn't my fault. You see...its hereditary. As proof, I have this photo of my brother "racing" at Michigan a few years back. NASA called expressing interest the following day!

jborkowski
05-09-2002, 10:37 PM
As such, I decided to pick me up something a little...shall we say...less vertically inclined.

It's a little slow...and I'm having some difficulty getting it approved for an oversand pass (they say I'm required to have a full size spare), but I think it's going to be just the ticket.

juro
05-10-2002, 08:06 AM
Put the toys away Jeff - There won't be any oversand-box time for this outing. :devil: We'll just meet at the paved lot to keep things simple.

Getting pumped up for Sat! Nobody forget Sunday is Mother's Day.

RayStachelek
05-10-2002, 04:33 PM
Have a great day on the beach tomorrow. Weather should be great and fishing has improved. Than again you're not fishing.... just casting... tuning up those fingers.

Going to sneak out and fish some RI territory tomorrow, now that the big boys are gone.

Hawkeye
05-10-2002, 05:18 PM
For those going early I'll be there too. My hope is to greet the sun - we'll see. I'll have a dark green coat, Forum hat, and tan stripping basket. I'll be working the beach south hoping for a few head on collisions with the north bound cows 'n' such.

Adrian
05-10-2002, 10:31 PM
Most of you will probably be there by now - I just got in from work - yukkkk!

Well, time for a coffee, get the gear sorted and a few hours kip should put me on the cape well before midday. Will probably haul the yak in case Sunday turns out OK for those of us who can do a stint.

Really looking forward to this one - see ya there and tight lines all you dawn raiders!

Broadbill
05-11-2002, 12:17 AM
Hope to join you guys tomorrow, but I'm really testing to see if I can add one of those avatar photos on the left. Yes, it's a

Broadbill