Inflatable Boat Club [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Inflatable Boat Club

Steelheader69
05-05-2002, 04:00 PM
I posted this on the inflatables site on this BB, but thought I'd put it on here too since there's a bit more traffic............

I thought I'd throw this out to the masses here. Seems like when I do this on a conventional site, you get too many who pan the idea.

To start out, I used to belong to a small whitewater club (have been tempted to join NWRA, but mostly oregonions). We disbanded quite a few years ago. But we were strictly whitewatering, with the occasional fishing thrown in if we floated a river that held good runs. What I'm suggesting is an inflatables fishing club. Originally it was going to be a "cataraft" club, since most whitewater clubs focus more on kayaks and rafts. But there's such a wide diversion between pontoon boats, catarafts, watermasters, inflatable kayaks, and rafts that could draw more of a crowd opening it up to all who have inflatables. As of right now, this is strictly a "FREE" club. No dues to sign up. What is would consist of is a sign up sheet that basically would have name/address, personal info, rivers you float. I'd set up a newsletter type format, then set up my own database here. We could set up group floats, trade a trips, open seats, etc. Thought it would be a fun thing to do, and most inflatables can float summer flow rivers while the DB's are stuck in the driveways.

What do you all think? I've bounced this around a few times, only a couple guys interested. As I said, no fees, I'd store all info on my harddrive. So, if anyone is interested, shoot me any ideas you may have that you'd like in a club. I figured, that if I had enough interest, we could even start up a list of who would even want like a club jacket (I have a few embroiderists on my routes that will do them fairly inexpensively). Won't be monthly meetings and such. Will plan group floats, trade a trips, etc.

So, who's game????

TerryD
05-05-2002, 09:13 PM
I am very interested, but do not hold it against me if I show up with my Outcast.

:D

Steelheader69
05-05-2002, 10:31 PM
I guess I'll let you join. But please put a sticker that says "Wing" or maybe "sotar" or even "Aire" over the Outcast emblem. I have an image to uphold. :)

Yes, everyone with an inflatable is invited to join.

GBSkunk
05-06-2002, 02:59 PM
I'm game! I've got a 13' self bailer, a Maravia Spyder. I'd love to tackle some class III and IV water with others.

A suggestion for a possible float would be the E. Fork of the Lewis from Heison bridge down to Lewisville Park. NOBODY does it and I'm kind of nervous to try it myself. 5-6 miles with some great fly water and some nasty whitewater.

tyee01
05-06-2002, 11:08 PM
Sounds cool can I join? I have a 13 foot cat. Mainly fish the upper Sandy.

Steelheader69
05-06-2002, 11:18 PM
If you have an inflatable, you're INVITED TO JOIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, if you're truly interested, send an email with what YOU want in a club to cataraftclub@prodigy.net . I don't need all the stats on you yet, as in name/address, yada yada yada. But just if you're interested, and what you would like out of a club of this nature. It's going to primarily be a fishing club. But we can schedule whitewater trips too later on.

andre
05-07-2002, 03:15 PM
I would be up for learning some stuff I have a Puma w/ a frame. GBS, I have not floated that section of the east fork. However, I know some guys that are good behind the sticks that won't floating it, pretty ugly stuff.

69er, are you going to let us Oregonians in????

Steelheader69
05-07-2002, 08:04 PM
Wait a second. First off, I'm letting the Outcast guys in. Now you want me to let the Oregonians in too???????? Man, how low do I have to drop my standards? :devil: :hehe:

Ok, enough joking. Everyone is invited. Hell, if you use a black innertube, come on in. It seems the inflatables right now are the low end of alot of peoples jokes. They don't like seeing them (probably because we can go where alot of DB's can't) and are slowly starting to gain the popularity. Just thought it would be nice to come together as a group. Thought it would be fun.

Doublespey
05-08-2002, 01:43 PM
Have Puma - will Use It! :devil:

Nice Idea, ST69. I'd enjoy doing fishing trips down some challenging rivers/stretches I haven't floated yet.

DS