Interesting Reading from the Chesapeake Bay Area [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Interesting Reading from the Chesapeake Bay Area

DFix
04-29-2002, 02:55 PM
http://www.bayjournal.com/02-04/rockfish.htm

Broadbill
04-30-2002, 12:25 PM
Sobering article. The scary thing is that someone reading that biomass increase is going to use the data to lobby for reducing the length of legal fish or increasing the number of fish able to be kept.

Thanks for digging that out and posting it. This board is probably a lousy sample because of the C&R ethic, but has anyone here who's kept a bass this year seen anything unusual in the flesh or guts when cleaning it? Something to watch for.

sean
04-30-2002, 12:51 PM
Well not to play devils advocate or anything but the biomass increase may be what is causing the problem in the first place.

Even those most of us are C'n'R sometimes it may not be best for the fishery. Overpopulation is a bad thing and can hurt rather than help. There needs to be a balnace and it looks like the Chesapeake Bay Area may be at that stage. I say may as of course it looks like more research needs to and should be done.

-sean

ssully
04-30-2002, 01:43 PM
Mr.Fix,

Please read post,"This is not a good sign". dated 4/26/02 :D

DFix
04-30-2002, 03:04 PM
I apologize. I only dragged the thing over here 'cuz...

Adrian
04-30-2002, 08:32 PM
Sean, I agree. Nature has a way of balancing things out over time and it's not always a pretty sight. I'm reminded of an example from Scotland where the culling of red deer was supressed. Within a couple of years the population had outstripped the available forage and dead deer carcasses were everywhere. Another example from that side of the pond was the mysterious outbreak of a diseas which nearly wiped out the grey seal population in the North Sea. There are definite cycles behind many of these events, some of which may last for generations before some cataclysmic event restores the balance.

Ice ages spring to mind.:whoa:

Jimmy
05-03-2002, 08:03 PM
Just to let you guys know. I was in the local shop yesterday, a couple of guys I know from the shop reported landing fish with this illness. The guys said that the fish looked like the fish had been swimming in acid. I haven't seen one yet but I'll keep you posted. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.