Jungle Fever [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Jungle Fever

Eddie
04-29-2002, 01:47 PM
I got jungle fever, she's got.....
Juro, I got the Jungle Cock Cape in the mail today and it looks great! Thanks for your help. I've got to get cracking on those flat wings.

striblue
04-29-2002, 07:44 PM
Just got my order in the mail today...Juro , they are perfect..one question. the feathers under the jungle cock look like they would make great small eel bodies with the white line down the middle... any thoughts on that from anyone?

Tod D
04-29-2002, 08:01 PM
John - those better versed in saltwater FF history can probably articulate better, but I believe that the Gibb's striper fly may be the 1st widely-recognized SW pattern on which the JC feather was used. Extremely simple, yet deadly pattern: (traditionally) blue over white over blue bucktail, tied in from the hook eye; JC feather on cheeks w/ tip of feather extending even w/ the hook point; Bit of red bucktail on the throat. Not sure if original had some flash - think Kreh's book on SW patterns has some variations.

striblue
04-29-2002, 09:38 PM
Thanks Tod... they do appear to be delicate and have a nice pattern...Might also make a nice overwing.

JimW
04-29-2002, 09:47 PM
Just got mine out of the mailbox. Looking good! Thanks a bunch Juro There will be a flatwing in the mail to you by the weekend. I probably would not have ever gone for the whole cape if this deal didn't come along.

juro
04-29-2002, 09:47 PM
They do resemble the vulturine guinea fowl (also sold by Ron Taylor) which are the 'flat wing hackle' version of these feathers, used in the well known salmon fly the "elver" which is a juvenile eel. Similar but more blue and very long.

They make a great wet fly wing for salmon steelhead flies when tented in pairs (4-6).

ssully
04-29-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by striblue
Just got my order in the mail today...Juro , they are perfect..one question. the feathers under the jungle cock look like they would make great small eel bodies with the white line down the middle... any thoughts on that from anyone?

John,
I've also seen them used as shoulders in classic streamer patterns. Like the Lady Miller fly here:
http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers/guest/martinek/martinekcs.htm

Juro,
Thanks again. Now I hope I can do those beautiful feathers justice. BTW did you check out my sandeel pattern on the "Got rubber" thread?