Fly Fishing Forum banner

kids hip waders

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  johnp 
#1 ·
Hi All,

This summer my 8 year old wants to try a little salmon fishing with me and I was wondering does anyone know any shops in the mass/ri area that carry kids hip waders. I can't see spending 130 on a pair of orvis waders that will last a year and get used
for 24 hours.

Thanks,
JohnP

#2 ·
The Impossible Search

John:

I spent several weeks looking for waders for my 5 and 3 year old. Most of the major maunfacturers did not even make waders in the sizes that would fit small children. We totally struck out at the local fly shops. The best overall selection and pricing was actually at Cabella's. As I recall we spent somewhere around $50 for a pair of chest waders. We bought them a little big so they could grow into them. Good luck in your search.

John

#5 ·
Waders

I don't think we are talking about fishing the same waters that the adults fish. The water my boys fish is knee deep at best, but still holds plenty of fish. I would not be interested in fishing anywhere that would require them wearing a PFD. I would be on edge all day, and that dosn't sound like much fun for dad. The waders are more of a chance for them to "be like daddy".

John W.

#6 ·
Sounds like good fun. Let us know how it goes. Maybe we should have a page of combined knowlege and experiences regarding taking kids fishing and getting them started.
Last time I suggested a new section of the forum, it became the least visited page on the sight.

#7 ·
I had my boys when they were young (4-8) fishing on streams, piers, and lakes.

You have to stay close and watch them every second, and forget about fishing yourself. It only takes a couple of seconds for them to get into water trouble believe me.

Now they are teenagers with different risks :whoa: :whoa:

I would keep them in shallow water and not worry about the boots so much, they are going to fall in eventually some how and get there feet wet.

#8 ·
No problems with him fishing where we are going. Its a place we fished before on the Mirimichi and 40 feet of the water near shore is low and slow and he stays shallow and upriver of me. The reason for the hippers is 1) like it was mentioned to be like daddy 2) knee boots just get to much water in them from walking and splashing things that happen when the rod goes down and the frog hunt is on.
If I think the water is too fast/deep and requires a pfd then he just don't get in the water.
He's really pumped this year since last year he managed a few par and suckers up there on the fly rod. Hopefully he or dad can hook something with a little size so he can feel some real power.

Eddie a take a kid fishing/info page sounds cool. My kids started fishing around 4. My son loves fishing. In the boat/lake or shore fresh or salt he loves it all. I take the Cub Scouts out to the lake and have held little fishing clinics for them and they all seem to love it. They just need someone to take them!

I did check with cabelas and they had some kids felt sole hippers and don't ya know, out of stock and won't be reordered. I'll keep up the hunt.

JohnP

#9 · (Edited)
Not 100% sure

If I remember LL Bean selling tackle/accessory packages, but the memory part recalls a children's package or two. If so, most likely place for youth waders... (brain death is terrible, I'm sorry I can't be clearer on the info)

ADDENDUM: the above may also have been in a Cabela catalog; again, sorry for vague recollection.

As I keep thinking, this might have been Orvis (most likely)

#10 ·
John a couple of random thoughts.`

On sizing for youngsters I've found that looking a 'lady size' waders/hippers dropped down the sizing alot. To keep them in use for a couple of years you might want to think about 'stocking foot' waders and a light (oversized) tennis shoe on top.

The most important thing (2 cents worth here) is to assure the boot bottom is correct for the underwater surface. It's the loss of traction that gets most kids (and adults!) dunked.
fe

#11 ·
Having a pack of nephews and six year old who I take fishing this has been an interesting thread for me. Some comments come to mind.

A forum for fishing with kids was present in an earlier version of flytalk. It didn't get many posts :( and disapeared with fly talk 3.

I would be worried about my son in waders, especially hip waders. He'd do like daddy and wade in past the tops of the hippers :chuckle:. This differs with every child and JohnP knows what his child will do so this may not apply.

The frog hunts are fun to watch.

Fred that is a good thought on the womans waders. I disagree with you on the cause of falls. In my case it has been turning around to get out of the spot I shouldn't have waded to.

#12 ·
I 'tain't admitting to anything .... :>)

Fred that is a good thought on the womans waders. I disagree with you on the cause of falls. In my case it has been turning around to get out of the spot I shouldn't have waded to.

Been there and done that!:eyecrazy: Folks who fish with me know me as a 'chicken wader.' Go in over my knees only in almost dead still water. Then usually with an old ski pole that I use for a wading staff.

#13 ·
John, I agree with the getting wet part. Always my fault and my own stupidity when I take a header or a dunking.

Luckily my son is attentive, cautious and listens. Not my best traits I must admit.

I have found slowly as the years go bye that its easier to cast the extra 10 feet than try to wade out to get to the spot I just have to fish in. I actually wear an inflatible now if I am uncomfortable or don't know the area where I am fishing. That idea of being around to fish another day is actually sinking in!;)

JohnP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.