Why do you.. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Why do you..

Roop
04-28-2002, 12:03 PM
participate with those guys on that website?

** WARNING STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS FOLLOWS**

Do you know how many people have asked me that question?

I do it because of the camraderie and good will of the membership, the willingness of others to help me explore & expand my abilities and understand the environments where I fish.

While I have no personal stake in this website other than being grateful to those who have helped me increase my abilities, I wanted to suggest that everyone who has taken that big step and become involved remember what a good thing we have here & what a bunch of good guys you've met.

I've posted some rookie questions here over the years (some I knew the answers to but wanted to see what others do/ think) and always receive a ton of help.

the following is not intended to be be negative - but my post under the "Thank You" to Hawkeye thread got me thinking.

This community is growing, the numbers of people that lurk here is HUGE. In New England, our stripers are here and the big boys are starting to show up. Remember that more & more people are becoming involved in this sport , the number of people who don't contribute but want to reap the benefits of others knowledge is HUGE.

Personally, I'm not going to give away any specific access information to an anonymous name or email on the internet.
I will be more than willing to take a real person to those spots as I always have been.

I don't like feeling this way but I think it has to come to this. The funny part is that I have no secret spots & I'm not an overly successful flyfisherman!!

I guess my whole point is kind of a "Catch 22", get involved but use discretion. Try to return the favor and pass it on!

Just my $.02

Thanks.

Penguin
04-28-2002, 01:33 PM
The Roopmeister said, "The funny part is that I have no secret spots & I'm not an overly successful flyfisherman!"

Jeff...You are a FishMagnet and they school at your presence!
A "secret spot" follows you wherever you go!...
(Watching you carry that monster across the sand bar last season was a REVELATION and is evidence of your profound fishy sense of awareness, success, and enthusiasm...)

Your streams of consciousness are ALWAYS a reason to stop and take note...and fishing with you is a hugh PLEASURE and HONOUR!

And besides that, you're a nice guy and you should have your own Saturday morning TV fishing show! Charlie Moore has nothing on you...

Nick
04-28-2002, 02:43 PM
Roop,
that was a good one. The one about not catching many fish. Seen too many pictures to the contrary.

I'm with you though. I don't feel that I know too much or am overly successful either. Yet I feel what little knowledge I possess, I am willing to share in person rather than over the internet.

I visit this site because I've recieved so much information that I can only hope that something I say or do helps someone else enjoy the sport.

Here fishy fishies!

Nick

juro
04-28-2002, 03:56 PM
You're right Pete, they do school at his feet - but then again that herring butter on the boots seems to have something to do with it ;)

Seriously, I know where Roop is coming from. It's been a northeast region practice for a while now not to divulge details on line but instead to invite members to meet up with us in person to experience the special venues we tend to uncover.

Truth be known, the true essence of these invitations is that they're a way of saying thank you to those who contribute to the FORUM community. Those of you who have received the invitations know what I am saying.

All we ask in return is that (a) you don't dilute the special nature of the spot by giving the information away in public and (b) you don't use the new knowledge as a personal hotspot. If you are shown a mecca-spot, it becomes your responsibility to preserve it's sacred-ness within the group and inspire a sense of brotherhood to those who you invite.

It's a celebration of brotherhood within the membership, sometimes an MVP award system, other times a way to bring people to the next level - and although all this might sound a little odd I think I can find plenty of witnesses to the effectiveness of this whole approach.

The alternative would be for all members to keep their honey-holes all to themselves, like most anglers around the world. IMHO this sharing system has made the Forum a better place!

Smcdermott
04-28-2002, 04:13 PM
Roop,
As a newcomer to the forum I agree with you totally. The last thing I expected was to sign on and have a veteran who has spent half their life searching for a secret spot give me turn by turn instructions on how to get there. With that said, I was extremely surprised at the willingness of those on this board to help a new flyfisherman out and allow me to join them for the Spring Clave. I would like to give back in anyway that I can but as a newbie I am not sure how to go about doing that. Any suggestions you or anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

Sprocket
04-28-2002, 04:36 PM
information & entertainment

information:
how, why, where & what to use when I get there...and can be found in a lot of other places than here.

entertainment:
I enjoy all aspects of the interaction on this site - even the flaming can be funny (if you're not personally involved). The folks I have met through board-sponsered events are unlike any other I have met - bar none. The knowledge wealth that frequents here is generous to a fault - just shy of posting coords, you can ask any question here and get serious, honest responses from the members - you often also get a ribbing but I don't mind (and usually deserve it!). I'm pretty conbfidednt that if you asked for coords you'd get them - they might be for a landfill in Kansas but you'd get coords :D

internet community: it's all here - family, neighbors, friends and the wierd uncles. All you do is sign up and be welcomed, what you do once you're here is up to you - give freely and you are rewarded 10 fold. You can't get that in many places other than here!

disclaimer: the above is merely how I feel about this community and is not pogy oil induced.

Penguin
04-28-2002, 08:59 PM
...N41*38.803 W070*14.945...

Eddie
04-28-2002, 09:59 PM
Every one has some thing to offer, and if you recieve...
Befor I moved back east, I scoped out many New England boards to prepare my self for the move(I wasn't totally sold on the idea). This board is not as provincial, and I felt that I was able to contribute something even if I lived in CA. There really is something for all kinds of Fly Fishing Folks on the Forum.

Jimmy
04-29-2002, 07:48 AM
But it took most of the night to put into words.

I'm here because someone from this board took time to talk to me. After telling me to bring my fly rod instead of my spin gear, he spent the next 10 mornings fishing with me. He gave me advise. He cheered me on. He encouraged me. And finally celebrated with me when I caught and released my first Cape Cod striper.

He told me about this board and of all the wonderful people involved. I "lurked" for some time. Read and watched. I say people with strange "nik names" talk about fishing. They celebrated each others success, and sympathized each others misfortune. Then I read a post from the person I mmentioned before. In it, he refered to me as a "nice guy from Connecticut". So I signed in and posted. The rest, as they say, is history.

I have posted mostly rookie questions. Hell, I'm still and always will be a rookie. I have been given fantastic advise. From sun glasses, to kayaks, and everything in between.

But what I have been given most is friendship. I went to my first casting clave two years ago, worried about my casting "casting technique". Yes, there are times I still worry abiut what others think. I'm only human. (refer to other post). I was greeted by the people with the funny names as if I were a long lost family member. For me, that's a strange feeling. But no one cared about my casting. I was accepted just the way I was.

I have been to the spring clave, where I seen friendships develope. Hell, there are people on this board who have driven 1 1/2 hours at 3 AM just to fish with me because I was "in the neighborhood". We fished until 9 AM, where he informed me that he now had to drive back home and get to the office. Not too many people I know who would do that. But they are here.

Members of this board have taken me to "fishing spots" that they wouldn't tell their own mother about. They showed me how to fish. And showed me the simple pleasures of spending time with people you like.

As far as getting involved. The information and the expertiese of this community is nothing short of outstanding. I don't know if other less proficient fly fishers such as my self feel, but I feel I don't know enough about this wonderful sport to offer alot of advise. I may be selling myself short. But that's how I feel. I offer what I can. Geographical distance does not help either.

The people of this board are great. They care not only about fishing, but also about me as a person. But that's another story. I don't know how much I have to offer other fly fishers. My knowledge is limited. But if what I write today helps others, even in some small way, than that''s what I'll do.

Stepping down from the pulpit and into the bed. It's been a long night at work.

Lefty
04-29-2002, 08:22 AM
I agree with Roop et al. Don't worry about all the mushy talk. When you come to one of our fish camps it's pure fishermen talk, sharing hot info, friends, and a few laughs. The rest is about geting involved and giving a little. You get double back. Great crew, great experience.

Lefty

JimW
04-29-2002, 08:41 AM
I am very thankful to everyone who has helped me out on this board. I try to give back when possible because I've gotten so much from the membership; everyone is so willing to share. I am far from experienced but with time on the water we all learn things. In hindsight I guess all those newbie questions I asked were a catalyst for the experienced members to discuss the topics and I sure learned a lot from the answers. So when you ask what can I do? How can I contribute? Maybe you already are. There’s a cure for ignorance, all you have to do is ask and be willing to learn.

Dble Haul
04-29-2002, 09:12 AM
I participate in this forum for one very tangible reason: I have found a group of people who enjoy flyfishing and all of its related activities as much as I do. While other sites may be regional, this one truly is global and allows for insight and knowledge from the other side of the globe.

I have had the opportunity to meet a handful of you at a few events, and had the pleasure of fishing with a couple just a few weeks ago. The comaraderie and laughs that have been shared leave me wanting to meet all of you, and I look forward to the day when more of our paths cross.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have much experience in certain aspects of this pastime. I help out when I can, and I'm grateful to those who help me out when I have a question or two about areas where I have less experience. You wash my back, I'll wash yours. ;)

I'll reiterate a sentiment from earlier in this thread: if you're a lurker, what are you waiting for? Jump on in and join the fun! :)

Roop
04-29-2002, 11:51 AM
Good Karma!!

Smcdermott, Jimmy & others are living examples of how our community and somewhat shared philosophies work.

Look forward to seeing all of you again in the next few months.

Roop

bcasey
04-29-2002, 12:50 PM
I do because, you all do, and have ! I've been given the best present anyone could ask for. GREAT FRIENDSHIP. Initially a little difficult to understand, since I never had jumped into a sport or an organization of willing co-patriots as this group before. But it was so easy to get into when the basis was to learn to flyfish, then the frienships just happened, and still are. Meeting guys like Juro, Roop, FredA, John, Pete and JimW and then, last weekend I met Nick for the first time and then Sean McDermott, so it continues to grow. I don't believe it will ever stop. This is why giving and receiving are equally as important to me, The Benefits are Without Equal !
THANK YOU :smokin:

troutdude
04-29-2002, 02:58 PM
WOW!! What a lucky goy I am. Along with having a wonderful wife and kids, I have met many great people on this site. I first met Juro at the Marlboro show 2 years ago, and I go to the site almost daily. Although I do not always log on I read all posts. Having always been a backwoods trout fisherman I usually fished alone. Saltwater flyfishing is new to me. I was truely fortunate to have people like Juro, John, and others too numerous to list invite me to the Cape to fish for stripers. I have never met a group of fishermen so willing to offer help. THANKS TO EVERYONE. Hope to see you all soon, Darryl

MarkDoogue
04-29-2002, 08:36 PM
I speak from experience when I say that any effort you apply towards the Forum results in payoffs that are exponentially greater in scope.

Last season I spent a day with two senior members at one of their more productive, undisclosed locations. I didn't ask to go, they merely offered it up one afternoon and I gladly accepted.

I believe that day will remain one of my more memorable mornings of fishing for a very long time. I stood waist deep in a blitz of crashing cow stripers and monster blues the size of a basketball court. I literally could have caught keepers by closing my legs together at the right moment.

The wonderful thing is that the Forum membership uses its combined knowledge as an asset to foster fledgling fly fishermen that contribute to the cause. I've literally had members land a fish in a spot only to give their spot up so that I can have a chance at a similar fish. I don't think I'm the only person that would concede just how uncommon an occurrence that would be in the "outside world" of fishing.

The most important thing to remember, always try and return the favors another person bestows upon you to an equally deserving member that doesn't have the benefit of your new found knowledge.