yak hauling question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: yak hauling question

sean
04-26-2002, 03:26 PM
Do any of you guys use something like this:

http://www.scarysports.com/yk.html

I lug mine into lakes where the hike can be a half mile. Not a lot of fun and I am looking at alternatives. This is kinda spendy so I was curious if any of you have any inventions you would like to share.

-sean

striblue
04-26-2002, 03:45 PM
I was thinking of getting something like that .I am only 4/10th's of a mile from the beach and have seen some yakers who live near me with something similar.

Roop
04-26-2002, 03:47 PM
Sean you're moving out here aren't you?

If so, just bring Nick with you. He'll drag your yak to the moon & back. You know, young, healthy, etc...

JimW
04-26-2002, 03:49 PM
One of the guys that fishes at the beach made something like that out of an old gas grill. It doesn't collapse and I'm quite sure it wouldn't float. Cheap and ugly enough that you can leave it at the put in without worring too much about it. Child stroller wheels would probably work well.

sean
04-26-2002, 03:57 PM
I found something I will probably try and build this weekend:

http://www.noyopacific.com/cart.html

Seems easy enough and decently collapsible. Just have to find a source for the wheels. The baby stroller sounds like a good idea.

I still have a little youth and strength on my side. Sounds like I may have to build a few of these so when I get out there you guys will not make me drag your yaks around;) .

-sean

Nick
04-28-2002, 02:48 PM
Yeah, yeah. I'll draq your yak. As long as you lead me to fish like Roop Doggy Dog.

nick

juro
04-28-2002, 03:28 PM
:chuckle:

Who drags a yak? My ride needs no draggin'

:devil:

Roop
04-28-2002, 05:38 PM
Don't most pool toys pop when you drag them across rocks & shells?:devil:

juro
04-28-2002, 05:51 PM
I'm still looking for the stick-on polka dots and giraffe head accessories ;)

Seriously, I am psyched about the portage' potential of the featherlight yaktoy. Opens up a whole 'nuther dimension.

FishHawk
04-29-2002, 05:10 AM
I am going to get a product called Rolleeze. It has pneumatic tires which will handle soft beach sand. It also folds u for storage in the yak. This yak is becoming a mini vessel, a hole in the water where you pour money into. The cheaper models hace narrow tires whic are not good for the soft beach*sand. This year is the year to check things out . Hope to join you Juro on the backsided flats.
FishHawk

Broadbill
04-29-2002, 02:22 PM
Far be it from me to steer people away from this forum, but yak carts have just had an extensive discussion on Tim Surgent's mid-Atlantic board, StripersOnline. There's a long thread discussing cart design and fabrication, including some good pics and plans at: http://www.stripersonline.com/ubb547/Forum6/HTML/001140.html
After you've found what you need, come right back here.

sean
04-29-2002, 03:05 PM
I got mine built for under 12$ this weekend and it is collapsible. For now I have skinny tires on it but I can add on beefier ones if need be.

Will be testing it this weekend on a hike into a lake. Will posts some pics if it turns out to work.

-sean