Korkers Question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Korkers Question

Quentin
04-25-2002, 11:43 AM
Has anybody tried wearing Korkers over scuba boots or flats boots? Just wondering how well they work with a soft boot. Thanks.
Q

Adrian
04-25-2002, 12:44 PM
Quentin

I have an old pair of Korkers, designed for large soled boots. I've not tried them on my flats boots but they would probably slide around a lot.

Quentin
04-25-2002, 01:04 PM
Thanks Adrian. I figured that would be a problem.
Q

juro
04-25-2002, 03:07 PM
Q -

I bought a pair of the korker style sandals at the LL Bean outlet one year, they fit beautifully on the scuba boots. Unlike the real korkers they were light as a pair of Teva sandals and easy to carry on the wading belt. Strap system similar.

Might still carry them. They were pricey new, the outlet was dumping them cheap.

Juro

Quentin
04-25-2002, 05:23 PM
Thanks Juro. I checked their website and they have two types of strap-on cleats: Stream Cleats, which are made to fit wading shoes, and Stabilicers, which are made to fit winter boots. I'm guessing that you are referring to the Stream Cleats ;) They cost about the same as Korkers so I suppose price isn't an issue if they work well.

Q

fredaevans
04-25-2002, 06:13 PM
you'll have to ware a pair of solid/stiff bottomed shoes. These are designed to fit over regular wading shoes. Heavy as all heck but the bar alum. bottoms will allow you to run up the side of a tree without slippage.

Generally use spike-bottom felt wading shoes; if it REALLY SLIPPERY on go the stream cleats. Best $50 you'll ever spend for river wading.
fe

striblue
04-25-2002, 09:03 PM
The last time I used corkers was on the salmon River and they only fit over the Wading boot.

kush
04-25-2002, 10:18 PM
JUro,

You don't need corkers - don't you still have that awesome "beaver-chewed" wading staff?

juro
04-25-2002, 10:35 PM
Hey I resemble that remark Kush! :hehe:

Q -

Those stream cleats are close but not as sandal-like as the pair I had. Although the ankle strap looks like it would work with flats boots, the toe looks like it might be shaped for a real boot unless that front thing adjusts(?) Best off trying them on and sending them back to Bean if they don't work.

ssully
04-26-2002, 04:06 PM
Q,

Scroll down to the Korkeez. They are exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.korkers.com/catalog/index.htm

Quentin
04-26-2002, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys. Guess I'll just have to try the various types to see if I can find something that works.

Q