Korkers Question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Korkers Question

04-25-2002, 10:43 AM
Has anybody tried wearing Korkers over scuba boots or flats boots? Just wondering how well they work with a soft boot. Thanks.

04-25-2002, 11:44 AM

I have an old pair of Korkers, designed for large soled boots. I've not tried them on my flats boots but they would probably slide around a lot.

04-25-2002, 12:04 PM
Thanks Adrian. I figured that would be a problem.

04-25-2002, 02:07 PM
Q -

I bought a pair of the korker style sandals at the LL Bean outlet one year, they fit beautifully on the scuba boots. Unlike the real korkers they were light as a pair of Teva sandals and easy to carry on the wading belt. Strap system similar.

Might still carry them. They were pricey new, the outlet was dumping them cheap.

04-25-2002, 04:23 PM
Thanks Juro. I checked their website and they have two types of strap-on cleats: Stream Cleats, which are made to fit wading shoes, and Stabilicers, which are made to fit winter boots. I'm guessing that you are referring to the Stream Cleats ;) They cost about the same as Korkers so I suppose price isn't an issue if they work well.

04-25-2002, 05:13 PM
you'll have to ware a pair of solid/stiff bottomed shoes. These are designed to fit over regular wading shoes. Heavy as all heck but the bar alum. bottoms will allow you to run up the side of a tree without slippage.

Generally use spike-bottom felt wading shoes; if it REALLY SLIPPERY on go the stream cleats. Best $50 you'll ever spend for river wading.

04-25-2002, 08:03 PM
The last time I used corkers was on the salmon River and they only fit over the Wading boot.

04-25-2002, 09:18 PM

You don't need corkers - don't you still have that awesome "beaver-chewed" wading staff?

04-25-2002, 09:35 PM
Hey I resemble that remark Kush! :hehe:

Q -

Those stream cleats are close but not as sandal-like as the pair I had. Although the ankle strap looks like it would work with flats boots, the toe looks like it might be shaped for a real boot unless that front thing adjusts(?) Best off trying them on and sending them back to Bean if they don't work.

04-26-2002, 03:06 PM

Scroll down to the Korkeez. They are exactly what you're looking for.

04-26-2002, 03:49 PM
Thanks guys. Guess I'll just have to try the various types to see if I can find something that works.