Fly Fishing Forum banner

Well, well, well.....

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
I finally got off of my butt last night after work and checked out a quarry pond that is within two miles of my house. I've been putting it off, but I'm glad that I went. What I found was a rather large pond with steep rip rap cliffs. It looks very difficult to fish from the shore (some of which is ten feet above the water), but there is a small flat where a john boat could be launched. :devil:

I've been told that this pond is very deep, and possibly spring fed. While I was walking around the perimeter I could see several sunfish and some foot-long largemouths suspended in some timber tight to the cliffs. I'm hoping that the pond might also have some crappie and (fingers crossed) smallmouths. This spot has the potential to become my "home" water.

This is also an excellent spot for my wife to do the type of fishing that she does best......jigging. By the end of the summer, I hope to have those jigs and spinning rods replaced by clousers and a flyrod. :p She's eager to learn.

#2 ·
Sounds nice! It's always fun to "discover" places like that, especially when they're so close to home.

How do you suppose the fish got in there? Is it connected to anything?

Q

#3 ·
If it's a quarry pond in your part of the state it is likely that it does have a spring in it. Several quaries within 20 miles of you have flooded as a result of digging into the aquifer. I remember one of them had the top of a crane sticking out of the water for years. It may still be there.

#4 ·
Quentin- The pond is literally a quarter of a mile from the east bank of the CT River, but it has no inlet or outlet that I saw, which would further support the spring theory. It's simply too high up from the river to have ever been flooded and had fish intoduced that way. I suppose that the fish were planted a while ago through a run of the mill stocking.

More on-the-water investigation required!

#5 ·
Freshwater fish have an amazing propensity to colonize bodies of water without the help of mankind.

Some species fish eggs are believed to adhere to waterfowl and survive a short flight to a new home.

Sounds like an interesting place to poke around one week-end - can I bring the yak sometime?

#6 ·
Interesting. Even if it was never officially or intentionally stocked it would only take a couple of bait bucket dumpings to get it going. Someone tries the place out, doesn't catch anything and dumps their bait bucket before going home. Next year it's got fish in it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.