Fly Fishing Forum banner

Vises?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me what would be a good vise for a beginning tier? I will be tieing primarily saltwater flies for the northeast. I would like to keep it under $150 if possible.

Sean

#2 ·
There are a few nice entry level vises that won't break the bank...
Dyna-King makes a "Kingfisher" model that sells for $99. HMH has a similar offering...both will hold saltwater size hooks and get you up and tying!
There are a few others in the same range...Check the auction sites (if you're not in a hurry) and go see a local shop and let them know what you have in mind so they can do some show n' tell...
Good luck and keep us posted on how things go...

The sponsors of FFF would be great places to start a search!

#3 ·
works for me

Sean,

I have a Thompson Pro model (under $50) that served well for years.

I recently got an Apex by Anvil (around $99) and I really like it - comes with both a clamp & pedestal and is a well made product. I've seen it for 89.00 as well...

just a couple options to check out.

good luck,
Todd

#5 ·
I think you can get a Regal for that $.
I have both a Regal and a Renzetti style side by side. I like the Renzetti style, but for many flys, the Regal is faster.
Run a search on vices(or vice), and you will see that the most popular ones are the Dyna King Barracuda, the Renzetti Traveler and the Regal.
If you can, try to borrow(or tie up some flys in the shop) and see which you like best. People recomend that you cast a rod befor you buy it. It is good adVIse to do the same with a...

#6 ·
I went to a local shop today and checked out a few vises. Here are my thoughts so far. I think I would like something with a pedastal base so I can move it around on the table and get comfortable. Therefore, I was looking at the Dyna-King Kingfisher ($99) and the SW Traveler from Renzetti ($160). How important is it to have a "true-rotary" vise. Will I eventually want/need this feature and be better off coughing up the few extra bucks now. The store owner said that for saltwater I would probably tie alot of epoxy patterns and that the true-rotary would be very helpful for that purpose. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

#7 ·
Sean,

I have the Renzetti SW Traveler and I love it. It is definitely worth the extra money (as compared to the Anvil Apex - which is, however, another good vise). If you buy the Renzetti you just need to make sure that you buy the cam jaw assembly that can get a good hold of larger saltwater hooks. Then again, you fish for trout too. You might want to make sure that the SW cam can hold tiny trout hooks if you plan on tying some smaller flies. Just something to think about.

Either way you look at it - the SW Traveler or the Apex will do what you need. The Apex is fine for tying epoxy patterns - and a rotary vise is handy when working with epoxy.

I had an Anvil Apex but then a generous fishing friendbought me the SW Traveler as a thank you gift. I was truly appreciative of his generosity. After that - I gave the Anvil Apex to my Dad. It is a good vise too.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

#9 ·
...rotary...just do it!...

...If you try to $ave a little $$$ now by getting a non-rotary vise, you WILL eventually end up buying another vise with the rotary option.
Do it right the first time...$pend a little more ca$h now and avoid having a non-rotary paper weight later...my .02

#10 ·
Sean - I think the importance of a "true rotary" vice is, for me, not an issue. The "true rotarys" hold the hook shank in line with the axis of the vice.

What is important, again to me, is that I can turn the fly around easily to see the other side and flip it upside down all without opening the jaws.

I've often heard the question at claves, "Does anyone use the rotary function to wind thread?" The answer is usually 95% no, wit one guy sayins something like, "Tried it once, didn't like it much."

My advise:
Play with a couple vices at the store. Put some hooks in 'em, and flip them upside down, etc. See what you like best.
If you still aren't sure, buy a cheapo knock-off of something (lots of chinese stuff under $40) and when you figure out what you DO want, you'll have a spare to travel or loan...

one other thing that nobody has mentioned - jaw types.
The anvil is a cam locking type. I believe the renzetti is the 2-screw adjust type and the regal is a squeeze/spring lock type.

Try out each one and see what you like best - that just might be the key to it all.

good luck - hope you're less confused than before you asked...

#11 ·
I just picked up the sw cam traveler and I love the thing.
Just being able to spin the fly around easily to check proportions is awesome, I am working on using the rotary part building bodies and it makes things easier and the flies look better to me.
Helped my son tye some #8 wooly buggers last night piece of cake.

JohnP

#12 ·
first vise

I can attest to the quality of the Regal, and Dyna-King vises. Never liked the Renzetti's, had one and always regreted spending money to get it.

As for true rotary. It is not necessary now or ever for what you plan on tying. As another has pointed out you only really need to be able to turn the hook so you can work on the bottom or sides without repositioning the hook in the jaws. All of the mentioned vises will do that.

Try the various vises and determine what type of hook lockup mechanism is best for you. The Regal is the easiest and has the hook holding power all other vises are measured against. The Dyna-Kings hold hooks as well as the Regal and once the thrust cone is adjusted will work for several sizes of hooks without additional adjustment. The adjustment is easy and quick.

As far as using your vise to rotate epoxy while it cures - most folks don't want to sit and turn the vise for 5 to 20 minutes per fly and opt instead for an inexpensive turner which allows them to continue tying and rotate 6 or more flies at once. This is not a reason to purchase any vise or style of vise in my opinion.

At $99 the Dyna-King Kingfisher is argueably the best value on the market at the moment. The Regal rotary is argueably the finest rotating, but not true rotary, vise made.

The bottom line however, is that YOU must be pleased with the vise you use. Not only how well it holds hooks, but how it looks, and feels to you. Like all personal tools it must function well and please its owner.

#13 ·
Made the plunge...

The wind in Providence was howling in the wrong direction for a beginning right handed caster this evening so I convinced the girlfriend to go on a road trip. I headed down to Bears Den and picked up a vise. I decided to go with the Renzetti Traveler with the cam lock. The regal was nice as well but for $30 more and not true-rotary I decided against it. Thank you all for the valuable input. It really helped in weighing the options. Hopefully I can stumble my way through a half decent fly this weekend and use it on a Sunday afternoon trip. I am really looking forward to catching a fish on something I created. I can only imagine that it must be a great feeling.

Tight Lines,
Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.