Tight Lines in Providence!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tight Lines in Providence!!

Smcdermott
04-24-2002, 08:22 PM
I ventured back to the location of the opening ceremonies of the 2002 Rhody Icebreaker this evening. My girlfriend decided she would join me and do a little reading on the bank. Got there about 6:15 and was able to catch the last few minutes of the incoming tide. Walked out under the bridge and posted up on the rocks between the pilings (Nick, Mike and Jeff, those guys we saw had the right idea for high tide). Stripped off some line and made a cast so I could stretch the line. All set to go now. Made a second cast and just as I was about to lift the line to make my back cast...fish on. The fish made a nice little run and just about cleared my line when it turned and raced toward me. I stripped like mad so I could keep tention on the line and brought the fish to my side. 18" Striper and my second on a fly. Made my second cast and two strips later I had my second fish on...oh what a feeling...this fish took me right up on the reel and took some drag...didn't make it to my backing but nice to feel a fish on the reel...this was a 20"er and plenty strong...The tide when slack and I figured that would be the end of it but managed to pick up another 14" and a small pre-schoolie about 8". At that point I was very content and decided to practice my hauling. I started to get mildly proficient and was able to put out about a 75' cast...two strips and what a hit...this fish imeadiately took me up on the reel and headed for my backing...unfortunately the run was short lived as this fish had a long range release in mind. All in all it was by far my best outing yet and many thanks to Ray for showing us this great early season spot. Can't wait to see everyone again soon.

Sean:smokin:

RayStachelek
04-25-2002, 06:21 AM
Sean -

Way to hose 'em! Man...... you got the desease now. The rest o us have had it for a long long time. The only cure now is fish, fish, fish, You'r going to need larger dozes of medicine. I expect a keeper in the not so distance future. Don't let your girl friend hook set any of these babies. She'll never give up the rod.

doogue
04-25-2002, 06:37 AM
Sean,

Awesome news. With your enthusiasm I can tell that you are going to go from striper rookie to striper pro in a single season. And I agree with Ray - I see a keeper in your near future. Maybe you will show Alan a thing or two when you guys head out this season.

Later.

-Mike

rel1
04-27-2002, 06:37 PM
Sean- You did good but you should've come up today. There were alot of fish and most were up in to mid 20" range. I managed 2 after I switched lines. I started out with a floater because the tide was really low but the fish were deeper than I could get even with a section of lead core in the leader. Both of the ones I landed had sea lice on them, and so did many of the ones landed by the others fishing there .
If you'd like to hook up to do some tying maybe we could get together- I live in Mass. just over the RHody line, plus I grew up in Rhody.Ron

Smcdermott
04-27-2002, 08:25 PM
Ron,
I headed down about 5:30 this evening. I picked up three small schoolies but saw some guys vertical jigging while drifting pick up some nice fish. I would like to get together and tie some time. I tied up a few flies, just a basic blonde but I have to admit they are pretty ratty looking. I guess I should be patient and realize there is a learning curve to everything.

Sean

jborkowski
04-27-2002, 09:29 PM
Sean,

Awesome news! Look forward to seeing you out on the Cape.

Jeff