Spring Clave Preview [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spring Clave Preview

Roop
03-12-2001, 11:38 AM
Thanks to Juro for being my conduit to the board during my unfortunate incarceration into the work force once again.

Just a quick & dirty summary for the inquiring minds.

Official Dates: May 19 & 20
Unofficial: I'm looking to get a head start on Friday the 18th for those who wish to join me.

Tides: High is around 10:30 on the 19th, this will open up the whole day for us

Extra-curricular activities:
Casting demo's with rod's to demo, fly tying, we could have a slack tide slackers barbecue.

We will be looking for a commitment from everyone who wishes to stay at Sean's place.

Thanks, feel free to email your thoughts or suggestions.

Roop

juro
03-12-2001, 12:44 PM
Roop -

I'll set up a quick and dirty signup, no database or anything but just an easy tool to let people register.

Adrian
03-30-2001, 12:27 PM
The dates are in my diary and it can't come soon enough!

I might try and play hookey on Friday 18th May and swing by the canal to try out the long rod / spey idea - if the herring are running by then. I'll have the big stuff at the clave tommorow - really looking forward to meeting everyone!

BTW, Capt. Ray and ArtB, are you planning on wetting a line in RI within the next few weeks?

Nathan Smith
03-30-2001, 05:29 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! I will be out of town That weekend. Don't you want to change it just for me

Roop
03-31-2001, 06:27 AM
Adrian,

I'm sure we will have a contingent of pre-clavers scowling the Cape on Friday, myself included. Maybe Juro can make that an extra field on the sign up and we could systematically scout out several spots to hopefully increase the success of the actual clave.

Or, we could just fish our a**es off and have fun.

Sorry Nate, no Barbie fly for you.

Roop

tomd
03-31-2001, 08:15 AM
Roop, better take me off the roster on this one. I'll be coming back from Belize late on the 19th, and don't think my wife would understand if I went down to join you guys on the 20th ;) Tom D

striblue
03-31-2001, 08:54 AM
Tom, that's simple.. I will drive you up to Logan on the 22Nd. Drop you off at the gate... and "hey look, Tom just got back from Belize"

tomd
03-31-2001, 11:07 AM
somehow I don't think she'd buy it John(but thanks for the offer), because her mom is supplying the ticket from her freq flier miles. Tom D

fliboy
04-01-2001, 07:47 AM
Roop - looking forward to the Spring Clave. Will be looking for the sign-up sheet.
Dave

fliboy
04-01-2001, 07:47 AM
Roop - looking forward to the Spring Clave. Will be looking for the sign-up sheet.
Dave

juro
04-01-2001, 08:45 AM
Next on the Northeast Region agenda - Spring Clave... not to mention trout trips and the Rhody Early Bird.

GREAT NEWS -
Fishing the Cape will be hosting an event at their shop during our clave weekend that we'll definitely have to attend. Details to follow.

Our later date will put more fish all around the area and should work out much better for action despite everyone being anxious to kick off the season.

When the sign-ups go up please use them to register. We are working with Sean Fields who will manage the Anchorage on the Cove rentals for us. Exact costs are undetermined at this point but we can estimate $20-25 per person per night... waterfront units, decks, etc.

Roop - we appreciate your grabbing the bull by the horns on this one.

I AM SO READY!!!

Roop
04-01-2001, 12:03 PM
We will surely miss you Tom! If there was ever a reason to miss the season opener, I'd say ytours would be the best!

Fliboy, Juro & others, I was on & about the Cape yesterday making some connections wth some good friends that we just never get to spend time with - the only decent excuse for missing the casting clave. Found an AWESOME spot that if you can believe it is never really used due to land owners doing everyhting they can to discourage people from accessing (sp?)
Man was my blood pumping!! Checked out the herring run this AM on the way home, empty but a good educatoin for the kids.

Sorry for the run on... just excited.

Roop

Nathan Smith
04-01-2001, 04:31 PM
I would complain some more about the clave being on a weekend that I cannot attend but seeing that the reason I cannot attend is because I will be leave that weekend for Christmas Island I don't think I am going to get much sympathy from anyone.

Nathan Smith
04-01-2001, 04:31 PM
I would complain some more about the clave being on a weekend that I cannot attend but seeing that the reason I cannot attend is because I will be leave that weekend for Christmas Island I don't think I am going to get much sympathy from anyone.

grego
04-13-2001, 12:04 PM
I think that I may only be able to do a Day trip probably Saturday (19th). I have been doing a lot of work travel & I have more coming up, including the week of May 20th.

D'OH!

jared
04-13-2001, 12:15 PM
Looks like I'm out...closing on a house the week before...gonna put a slight crimp in my spring fishing plans...hope you all have a blast!!

---j

bcasey
04-18-2001, 07:59 AM
OK! I got the go ahead for the weekend from the boss. Has the sign-up sheet been posted yet ? I live in N. Falmouth, and being a Newbie to this board and to the clave experiance ,I need some advice. Should I commute or stay at the digs? Also, aside from the $25 for the accomodations, what other fees are there ? Ferry boat,lunch, dinner, biggest/most fish pot ... Any advice would be helpfull (except the kind that says the new guy brings all the beer !)

Roop
04-19-2001, 06:20 AM
bcasey,

Great to have you on board - the sign up board should be up soon.

Fees? None other than lodging of course, and that being a necessary evil for those who wish to fish the weekend instead of day tripping. And, if you have to pay, $25 for a set up like Sean is providing us can't be beat.

I suggested a long time ago that we have some kind of community lunch on Saturday which may require a contribution but, let's wait and see how the plans actually firm up.

Look forward to meeting you, are you going to make it to Rhody this week end?

Roop

bcasey
04-19-2001, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the reply Roop, Nope, can't make R.I. this weekend, Kids are returning home from a week at camp, and the boat comes out of storage and onto the slip saturday, I've only started flyfishing last spring and have really gotten into it, got a lot to learn, and making some of these trips can help alot, I know. So please keep setting them up and I'll be there. BTW I have an 18ft CC w/trailer, any need for it at the spring clave? I'm also ready to pay my dues if you need any help set-up wise. Let me know

Nick
04-19-2001, 12:54 PM
bcasey,
I can't even begin to tell you about the knowlege you can learn about the coastal fishery here in New England from the members of this board. Since I found many of them my sophomore year in College, I have been reading their posts and trying to fish with them as much as possible. Back then it was on reel-time, now with Juro's forum the information continues to abound. I look forward to meeting you this season, hope I get the chance.
nick

Roop
04-19-2001, 05:08 PM
bcasey,

18ft cc? Last year there were a few boats, I believe GregO is planning on bringing his, if you were interested we could have a drawing of the attendees to see who would join you in cruising for schools of busting fish. I remember Mr. Pink ran into a few last year.

Look forward to meeting you.

Roop

Bri-RN
04-20-2001, 01:13 PM
Roop,
Can't wait. My buddy Jeff K. from colorado will also be tagging along for the w/e of fishing, drinking, and great story tales.
Brian Zinck

bcasey
04-24-2001, 06:41 AM
Hey Juro,
I got the hat last night when I got home, looks great. Thanks, only thing is, I'm sure when the dust settles at the spring clave, I'll need one 2 times bigger. Once I catch the biggest fish and all.

Adrian
04-24-2001, 07:34 AM
By my calendar we will be converging a mere three weeks from this coming Friday! I'll be up for a "herring feeder" hunt on w/e May 5th & 6th with Kris Jop - hopefully things will be warming up by then. I stopped by the Canal on the way home Sunday and there were a few herring in the run.

Just enough time to tie a few more Razzle Dazzles and test out my new Rio Mid-Spey line.

BTW Bcasey, biggest fish buys drinks for the rest of the clave! :)

striblue
04-24-2001, 09:25 AM
Any idea when the sign up board will appear?

bcasey
04-24-2001, 10:54 AM
Adrian, I'd be happy to!

juro
04-24-2001, 11:05 AM
I'll get to work on it tonight...

Yesterday my hard-drive croaked ??? luckily I have been backing up my files on CD R/W lately and have almost re-loaded everything on the new internal drive. <phew>

Look for it over the next couple of days

RayStachelek
04-24-2001, 07:12 PM
Adrian (03-30-2001 12:27 p.m.):
BTW, Capt. Ray and ArtB, are you planning on wetting a line in RI within the next few weeks?

Adrian:

Wish I could attend more FF Forum events in the future. My season officially starts this Saturday. The Striper Chariot is ready to go and the horses are well rested. The weather has warmed the waters by three degrees this week. If no new fish arrive by the weekend, you know where I'll be setting up. Not a good tide to wade this area this weekend. Low is at 5:30 am. Striper fishing for schoolies will bust open shortly. Just waiting for the silversides to find the nursery areas.

If it happens Adrian?..... It'll happen here first.

Adrian
04-24-2001, 08:15 PM
Thanks Capt. Ray

If not this coming week-end then hopefully sometime soon. R.I. is a reachable day-trip for me, particularly the Narraganset, Quonny side. I'm really looking forward to fishing the same waters which gave birth to Ray's fly and the Razzle Dazzle!