Fly Fishing Forum banner

Spey Clave reminder...

4K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  avid 
#1 ·
One month from today is the Spey Clave on the Sandy river. Just reminding you guys not to make other plans for that weekend May 18-19. Oxbow Park... Some of the best casters in the world with the best equipment in the world (foremost of which is CF Burkheimer Spey rods) :O)

Gordon... you should try to make it there this year you'll have fun I promise.

You guys from Seattle need to be making it down here for it too.. Sparkey.. Sinktip.. All you guys..

#2 ·
It's on my calendar Rob, I wouldn't miss it. I'm especially interested in casting one of those Burkheimer rods that you're always gushing about :).

BTW how's the fishing? I haven't been out for the last 3 weeks so I've kind of lost track of things. Are there still any late winters around? Any springers showing up in your neck of the woods yet?

gmf

#3 ·
Gordon.
I haven't been doing much steelheading because the East Fork and the Washougal have been closed and just reopened Monday. I will start hitting them as soon as they come back into shape from all this rain. The only fishing that I have been doing has been plunking for spring chinook in the Columbia but even it has been blown. ( only been plunking cause I want one to eat) All i have caught is 1 unclipped fish about 10 lbs.
The only good reports I have been hearing are from the Cowlitz which is apparently loaded with late run winter steelhead. A friend of a friend (gear fisherman) caught 57 in a week about 3 weeks ago.

#4 · (Edited)
Sandy Clave in May: "Be there or be square!"

The first one was one of my orig. pea brain ideas 'whose time had come.' (Maybe at 60 ,and most of my time is Sr. Mgmt, I did learn a thing or two ???:whoa: )

When I first proposed the idea last year I thought maybe 30 folks; how about over 100 by an honest (ya, mortgage lenders can be honest... ) count. This year Mark B. and Bob Larsell are running the show and it's just top knotch! Pop over to Mark's web site for his shop in Welches, Or.; this is a true don't miss event.

http://www.flyfishusa.com/events/events.html

(Hoy vey: just looked at Mark's update: I've understated the above/below!!!)

Mark has several top end rod manufactures, line guys, and God knows what else lined up for the weekend. Try all the goodies you want, just keep your credit card at home.:hehe: Actually, you usually can't buy anything at the Clave, but you sure know where your calling come Monday morning.

The thing the first Clave taught me was the level of true 'personal class' spey caster have as a general statement. See some fellow (and you have no clue who he/she is) with a rod; say that looks good. "Like to try it?" Fellow hands you a $1,000 worth of equipment and walks away. (No shit shilock!) Try rod, then go look for guy to give him back his rod, et. al. This happened to me at least 5 times over the weekend.

Watch 'lastcaststeve' (like heck: it's LONGCASTSTEVE!) strip off 150 feet of spey line and get it airborne in two flicks of the rod. (I felt so...... inadequate?). Watch guys hit a 2' target at 70 feet with a fly. ( (I felt so ... well, we've been there :(

Skipping to the 'chase,' you really have to go!
Fred

#5 ·
Re: Sandy Clave in May: "Be there or be square!"

fredaevans said:
Watch 'lastcaststeve' (like heck: it's LONGCASTSTEVE!) strip off 150 feet of spey line and get it airborne in two flicks of the rod. (I felt so...... inadequate?). Watch guys hit a 2' target at 70 feet with a fly. ( (I felt so ... well, we've been there :(
Nothing to worry about...just as long as Joan does not think you are inadequate!! :hehe:

#6 ·
Fred,

I wish I could make the spey clave as it sounds like a great time. Sadly, with second child due the 30th of May (or maybe before), my wife is revoking my out of town fishing privleges for a while. The spey clave might have been tough either way as that is the week of my annual Deschutes redside trip which I have already began to mourn for.

I shouldn't complain as I "negotiated" a trip to the Kispiox last fall knowing the baby would put some spring/summer trips on hold. Of course, I would never want to wish a past due pregnancy on my dear wife but if she does goes long, well, the Skykomish reopens June 1st. :devil:

Duggan

#7 ·
Fred, Rob-
I would love to make the Clave and was planning on attending but it looks like now I might not be able to make it... :(

Sinktip-
I am wishing for a sooner birth as I would be privelaged to share a birthday (May 28) with a child of The Great Duggan-Master of Splintered Spey Rods!!! ;) :D

#9 ·
Rob-special request

Rob,

Could you bring a "Steve Chaote model" 1397-3?

I think that is what it was that I got to cast at the Rogue River Clave. Steve said that Kerry beefed up the butt section after he had blown up several of them. It said "custom built for Steve Choate" on the butt section.

That was a really nice rod. I am sure anyone that casts it would be impressed.

#10 ·
Clinic was the first time I'd ever used a Burkie; can

easily understand why folks drop the dime for these rods. Multi-line designation (think Steve's was rated as a 7-8-9 with the "new" 8wt forward spooled. First time in my hands and I was out into the 90 foot range by the third cast.

Joan would KILL ME if I even considered what's on my mind .... then again .... she's headed for Europe for the majority of the next 4 months. How do I slide that one through the credit card without the 'green eyed monster' asking serious questions for which I don't have serious answers?
:eyecrazy:

#11 ·
Forget the $ 700 spey rod Fred, I checked them out I think that is what they run for. Maybe if I was a guide or won the lotto would I consider it, or fished more than 150 days a year etc...

I don't think it will help you catch more fish, you can do that with a lot cheaper spey rod.

My accountant wife would do you know what to me. My sons probably also.

#14 ·
Dear JD, Fred, Dave, etal,

First let me declare that I have no tie to CF burkheimer rods, or any other flyfishing equipment Mfg. The rod you spoke about that i was using at the Medford clinic is an 8139-3 (13'9" 7/8/9). I will have 2 at the clave in May that you guys are more than welcome to play with, and also a 9149-3, and hopefully a 15 footer...Mine will be lined with Sa Mastery xlt's, but you are more than welcome to try them with your line of choice. Pm fly fisher is correct in that they do run 700+ dollars, but in my opinion are worth every penny! The 8139-3 is a Kerry Burkheimer off the rack rod, and while i wish i could say that i had something do with its' design, i did not. Kerry merely signs all his custom rods with its' owners name. A nice touch indeed! I can say that i liked it well enough that after casting it for a week, i turned arround and ordered a second one as a backup...I have never broken one of these rods, but have to admit to breaking a couple of the butt and mid sections of one of his larger rods, which he has happily and graciously redisigned and replaced. The 8139-3 is my quintessential spey rod...I have cast just about every mfg. rod that i currently know of, and the burkie outcasts them all hands down (IMHO)...many of which cost much more than 700.00! It is truely a progressive rod that is very light in hand with an incredible crispness, but is not so overly fast not to allow the caster to feel the rod load at both short (60'), as well as 120'+ casts...The rod also posesses plenty of guts to throw tips with, something most 8 wt. rods less 14' do not have. I have been using 15' of lc-13 all winter looped to a mastery xlt 8/9 which the Burkie handles admirably...I have quite a few spey rods from many mfgs., will have Mastery xlt' in line weights 7 through 10..anyone wanting to try out any specific combinations is more than welcome to try them all....hope to see you all at the clave!

steve

#15 ·
I have a soultion for you Fred

Just keep your 9140's at my place, that way Joan wouldnt ever notice a new rod in the mix, better yet, Ill take them all and that would leave you lots of room for "Growth";) your old model 9140 would be in grave danger of a hyjacking, if mine wasnt on its way, that rod matches me better then the green one. My delta long spey loads it great, the olny wish is that the line had more bellie I dont like shooting never have. Im shooting about 30 ft of running line with it. I could cast that whole amount with a longer bellie and mend my way through the seam easyer, I did catch a biggg wild buck on your rod this evening ,it even had a bonus, a aditional otis bug in its lip, I took my prize, thanked the brute and released
him into the run he came from Id bet he was 28" biggest steelie I have ever landed, I had the river to myself. with 19000 fish over the ticker and olny 4000 collected at the hatchery, and a great flow of 1800cfs, I cant believe I had a mile of river to myself......Nate

#16 ·
AHA!!!! Was looking for a 9wt to stick in the VW

for lunch hour trips (and with the water back down the 10wt's are over kill) and couldn't find either rod. Forgot I'd lent them both to you to try ...... but not keep.:hehe:

Need to get them back; can you swing by the bank and drop them off early this week.
tnx
Fred

#17 ·
Sandy River Spey Clave thought ..

Expect this 'open to the public' non-commercial event will be a grand weekend. But a couple of things to keep in mind as you attend (gather folks are coming from all over God's Creation) that this is a NOT FOR PROFIT event held in a public park (with all it's attendent rules and requirements). The folks who are putting their time and effort into organizing this affair are 'facilitators' only.

1. There may be food available in the area but plan on bringing your own and ditto for water/soft drinks.

2. The park closes at dark and they do LOCK the gate .... and the guy 'tain't coming back to open it for you if you leave just a tad too late. Hope you're comfee sleeping in the back seat of your car.
:hehe: (This actually happen last year)

3. As I understand it, like last year, even though there will be several rod manufactures showing their wares NONE will be for sale at that time (I'm sure Mark B, et. al. would be pleased as punch to have you call them on Monday with your credit card in hand).:devil:

4. Expect lots of folks, most of whom you don't know (and many who are worth getting to know!); but be 'heads-up' about whom you hand over a rod to test drive. The Clave is a grand get together, but the world still has it share of 'sticky fingers.':tsk_tsk:
Nothing 'misplaced' last year ... lets assure it stays that way.

#18 ·
The stars are lining up well...

It looks like I'm going to make this one. Going to bring my non-fishing 14 year old son (my bestest buddy and one who I would like to take up flyfishing - the instant gratification generation :( ).

Understand that I've taken my 9140 out just once, got humiliated with my 13 year old daughter in attendence and now walk softly in its presence. Like a young filly I had a couple of years ago who threw me and busted me up real good (1st time). Never would ride her again. Anyway, I NEED to be inspired!

I'm going to drag the beast and the windcutter with me; anybody going to help me get back on it?:eek:

S.Russell

#21 ·
Back to the "Burkie's" for a moment ...

Steve, et. al.

If we formed a large 'nasty' group could we get a bulk deal on these rods??? Steve will have a couple .... how good are the locks on his car?:devil:

If we're going to promote; they just gotta give us a deal (this assumes Joan isn't looking ... snigger, snigger.) Damn, I love that rod, justifiying a 10th spey would be hard for her to digest. Perhaps the thought that we're working on a new home/with view to kill, would soften her up for the kill. Or being a lady, would she say something to the effect: "new rod or double oven in the kitchen?"

It's the shi...s to be the lead cook.:mad:

Work with me here!!!! I need all the 'good justifications' I can come up with.:whoa:

#22 ·
Damned.....

I had totally spaced on a family function for that weekend. I'm trying to wiggle my way out of it. But it's one of those "You convinced ME to go, you better not bail on me." scenerios. Maybe I can misplace my truck/trailer/and rods in Oregon and have to pick them up. :devil: :hehe:

Will see what I can do. Was given my list of what I needed to bring for that weekend. I was like "Um, Dad, what the hell are you talking about???". DUH! Man, I really stick my foot in my mouth sometimes. Will do my best. Would LOVE to get some more info on throwing a spey. Still haven't hooked up with some people on here to show me what I'm doing wrong. Doing great on short throws, but want to be able to have a competent cast. Really want to go to the clave. Anyone write me a note dismissing me from the family function??? :D

#23 ·
Is anyone bringing a Thomas & Thomas 12 x 12 to the Sandy Clave? I am wondering how this rod casts underhand, since it's an overhead rod? Per said that it's great for the Single Spey but I would like to try it myself. Then again, he had the original beefy version. I am looking for a spey rod to use in saltwater, like Baja and possibly Yucatan saltwater, in addition to one that would work on the NW Rivers as well. I have exhaustively studied the historic posts in this regard but I would glad to start a new thread about two-handers in the salt. <g>

#26 ·
Nate Bailey said:
Dave
I have a 12 wt you could try but its alittle longer then 12 foot, about 4 ft longer, how did you and fred do last weekend......Nate
Nate,

The T & T 12x12 is a very specialized rod generally built for overhead casting. Here is what they say:

DH 1212-3 A short, extremely powerful, two-handed rod designed specifically for launching shooting tapers tremendous distances with overhead casts. Combine it with a stripping basket and reach far out over the surf line for inshore gamefish, dredge the big rivers for salmon, and work the deep water cuts and reefs for a variety of tropical gamefish.

One of the other members here at IFF, Per Stadigh, said it's awesome for the single spey cast. He owns one of the early versions that is beefier.

Fred and I had a great time fishing last Friday but not catching. His luck was better later in the weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.