Coloring Hackle [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Coloring Hackle

marktwiss
04-17-2002, 09:13 AM
I KNOW HOW BEAUTIFUL KENNY ABRAMS HACKLES ARE AND HOW MANY I'VE BOUGHT THIS PAST YEAR AND HOW MANY
COLORS THEY COME IN, ITS ALMOST PUT ME IN THE POOR HOUSE, ASK MY WIFE.
I HAVE FOUND THAT YOU CAN COLOR THEM YOURSELF USING PERMANENT MARKERS THAT CAN BE PURCHASED AT ANY FLYFISHING STORE. ALL I BUY NOW IS WHITE HACKLE AND USING THE BROAD END OF THE MARKER AND DRAWING (PULLING) THE HACKLE UNDER THE BROAD END OF THE MARKER IT COLORS THE FEATHER BEAUTIFULLY. THERE IS ONLY ONE COLOR I HAVE DIFFICULTY WITH AND THAT IS OLIVE.FOR SOME REASON I CAN'T GET THE RIGHT COMBO. TO THE PUZZLE. THIS BY THE WAY IS SINGLE FEATHER COLORING NOT WHOLE SADDLE OR NECK USING THIS METHOD YOU CAN SAVE ALOT OF MONEY.IT COST THREE TO FOUR DOLLARS FOR THESE MARKERS AND THEY COME IN A WIDE VARIETY OF COLORS.TRY A COUPLE AND YOU WILL SEE HOW EASY IT IS .

striblue
04-17-2002, 09:29 AM
Sounds like an immaginative way to do the coloring... I will have to give it a try... It sure would beat getting Vats to do it and special dyes.

steelheadmike
04-17-2002, 09:43 AM
Fly Fisherman are some of the most ingenious people around. Just think of all the neat gadgets and crazy ideas we come up with to save time and money. Wont be long before we rule the world! ( place sinister laugh here ________________ )

DFix
04-17-2002, 09:52 AM
Permanent non-toxic markers such as Sanford (Berol) Prismacolor are the presumed mentioned item in the poster's opener. These work very well in most instances. There are times, however, when a feather section will not accept dye completely; only a portion may accept the dye while leaving a face of the original color. This is personal experience and knowledge.

In some instances, it's advisable to vat dye with Veniard's or other dye material, but, unless you're trying to make your own unique color, it's probably already available in the marketplace.

Roop
04-17-2002, 12:01 PM
Still being a heretic who uses synthetics, I find I usually buy one nice grizzly cape a year. I have had good success with the Prismacolor markers for coloring them, chartreuse, olive, blue...

Make sure to color both sides.

Roop

DFix
04-17-2002, 01:12 PM
Lemme tell ya, sometimes that doesn't even work. I colored thread and grizzly hackle as I tied each one of several flies for a swap. Setting the pen down, dragging the feather slowly under it several times, all the while watching the post-it sop up the excess color juice, and still it didn't color all the fibers. The feathers colored either completely, front and back, front only or in sections. I'm guessing it had something to do with rinsing or lack thereof in this patch I was using

jimS
04-17-2002, 06:33 PM
An alternative to using marking pens, e.g. Berol, is to color material including hackle with soft drink mix. This gives excellent color saturation. The formula is to boil a small pan of water, add a very small amount of the granulated mix, add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar to set the color. Add intended matrial to be dyed and simmer for a couple of minutes.

My experience indicates that a VERY small amount of mix is required to dye the material. The soft drink mixes that i use include3 Wylers and Kool-aid. They come in a veriety of flavors (colors).