Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hook Selection- Criteria & Experiences

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
This is a follow on to another thread and possibly a review of prior threads.
Much has been said about hook types, Circle Vs. Flat Vs. Offset etc.
Since many of us are tyers, for commerce or mere enjoyment, but always with the fishy we are pursuing, what hook selection experiences have you had with the same or similar patterns.
Lets try to get as much knowledge going as we collectively can.
Here is an example:
Fly= San Juan Worm, a favourite trout pattern
I have tried various hooks, and now settled on the Scud Style hook. My first attempts were with Mustad's #37160 but that one caused much mortality because the hook often turned and went right through the head/brain and the fish died. I switched to a straight hook (TMC's, Daichis etc, like the D-2220 & 1750 models)and experimented with various shank lengths but did not like the profile of the fly and had moderate success. I now use a TMC #2457 size 4 or 6 and get the best results, no brain injuries, great profile and quick & easy releases and as many hooks ups as with other hook styles.

#3 ·
I also like the scud hook for the San Juan Worm for the reasons that Pete described. Additionally, it helps the fly to maintain that "W" shape in the water when the ultra chenille is tied onto the curved hump of the hook.

Taking a page from another thread regarding wire, I have found for bluefish that if I tie a standard pattern on an extra long shanked hook but keep the dressing of the fly far back of the eye (a la a tarpon pattern), I nearly always have some shank available to work the fly free with hemostats. Blues can take flies quick and deep, and having that extra undressed length of shank has made a difference for myself and the fish too many times for me to stop tying some patterns in this manner.

I also dabbled with circle hook flies for blues last summer with some pretty good success. It just takes a while to resist setting the hook the old way. More on the water trial and error is needed here, which means I need to get out and start fishing. :)

#4 ·
Summer steelhead, a percentage of patterns:

Hook: Tiemco 200BR

Desc: factory barbless single point straight eye bronze. Has a curve like the classic spey hooks. I've been using them for over 10 years with success.

Patterns: Summer shrimp, pink pupa, Knudsen's spiders, dark sedge, partridge nymphs, etc, etc.

Features:

- subtle color blends in for summer fishing
- super sharp TMC quality and strength in a light hook
- aesthetically beautiful and functional
- if it had a loop eye it would be named after a famous angler from Kenmore WA ;)
- low cost
- extremely versatile

Caveats:

- only comes in sizes to #2, too small for year-round use
- straight eye, would prefer up/loop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.