Ok, official list of fly swappers [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Ok, official list of fly swappers

Steelheader69
04-15-2002, 11:29 PM
Ok, we have it set in stone. I'm only uncertain about one, he never said he was definitely "in", but I think I may be able to coerce him.

Here we go, let me know if this is wrong.
Myself (Steelheader69)
Nate Bailey
PMFlyfisher
TerryD
Fredaevans
Wrke
Crusty
Mean Gene
Sean
Rob Allen (I assume you're in???)

So, that makes 10 flies each. But, you're more then welcome to include a few more if you'd like LOL.

Ok, I'll say again. All the SAME pattern. Can be different sized hooks, or a variation of hook/tube flies. But same pattern. Makes sorting easier when they're virtually the same fly.

Get them all tied up and send them to me by May 15th.

Send to
Jerry Daschofsky
5085 NE 37th St
Tacoma, WA 98422

Once I get them all, I'll regroup and send back out. Now the deadline is May 15th, but luckily we don't have Sparkey on board so we'll get this wrapped up on time. :D

So, start tying and we'll wrap this up.

roballen
04-16-2002, 12:21 AM
sorry Jerry not this time around

Steelheader69
04-16-2002, 08:50 AM
Ok, I understand. Wasn't sure, you haad posted but hadn't said yes or no. Ok, that makes is 9. So, start tying.

pmflyfisher
04-16-2002, 01:26 PM
Jerry,

These must be summer steelhead flies (wet or dry ) or nymphs right ?

Also I may not be able to make by 5/15, 5/14 is our 25th wedding anniversary and I think I the weekend prior I am at Notre Dame with my youngest son for the Irish's Spring Blue and Gold game. I will try though, I promise.

:eyecrazy: :eyecrazy:

TerryD
04-16-2002, 09:27 PM
Being new to the fly swap, do you want receipes included with the patterns when I send them to you?? or Do I post it after the patterns are mailed out?? :)

Steelheader69
04-17-2002, 12:10 AM
Hal, I completely understand. Get them to me when you can. I don't want to ruffle the feathers with the Mrs.

TerryD, you can do it either way. Post it afterwards, or send them with flies. Doesn't matter.

Thanks

fredaevans
04-26-2002, 03:05 PM
to get to work!!

The "famous" Rogue River "Otis Bug" it shall be.
:smokin:

Crusty
04-26-2002, 04:27 PM
Fred,

I've still got some 1/4 inch solid core lead wire left over from my corky days. Do you want it for hook wrapping?

Crusty

PS Do you need a place to stay for the Clave?

pmflyfisher
04-27-2002, 10:01 AM
Jerry,

I think I will tie the great lakes (Michigan origin) nymph pattern that is a standard out here and which I again touched several brutes with this week.

My question is what size should I tie for PNW steelhead fishers ? Here we use from size 4 down to size 10. Also suppose I should weight them. The ones I struck steel with this week were bead heads.

Thanks

Hal

P.S. Looks like most of the fellows in the fly swap are PNW fishers thats why I am asking.

Steelheader69
04-27-2002, 12:11 PM
Tie them up the way you normally do. Alot of times I personally will go down size wise during the summer. Alot of my summer flies are from a size 4-10 too. In fact, I'll probably tie up one of my skaters in a size 8.

sean
04-27-2002, 01:05 PM
Hal I will be tying a 6 and maybe even an 8 for my grease line caddis imitiation as we do go smaller for the summer fish.

-sean

pmflyfisher
04-27-2002, 01:13 PM
Size 6 is my favorite size so it shall be.

If I could only use one great lakes steelhead fly the rest of my life this may be the one, it caught my first steelhead 20 years ago and worked again this past week, but with a little different variation. Must be at least 10-15 or more variations of this nymph.

From what I hear from Fred its working on the Rogue

fredaevans
04-27-2002, 02:39 PM
But I'm dead meat for getting to the Clave this year. I'm one of the lead instuctors in a home buying class down here. We've had two instructors bail (ok reasons) so Rogue Valley CC has put the screws to me to teach at least one session, probably two.

Hell of it is the ones I've got to cover are the last in the day and no way to 'swap' with an earlier in the day instructor. First thought was if I could, class over and up the highway like a bat out of hell. As it is I won't be done until some time after 4pm.

:(

Hal!!! You're back!!!! We want fish stories!!!!

Fred

pmflyfisher
04-27-2002, 03:51 PM
Fred,

Yes I got back yesterday afternoon. Body and mind is still recuperating from the michigan steelhead crusade this past week. Believe I will be rested enough to post the detailed report tonight, or maybe I should wait for the pictures this week and write a short story ?

Hal

pmflyfisher
05-11-2002, 07:17 PM
Jerry, (Steelheader 69)

Mine are in the mail today. Since my 25th wedding anniversary is this week (14th) wanted to make sure I got these in to you, it will be a busy week.

Michigan hex fly nymph (Hexigenia Limbata) natural pheasant tail, olive hackle, and creme body pattern which has been good for me lately. A similar pattern was developed in the 1970s and begin the fly fishing approach for Michigan Steelhead. It was called the Springs Wiggler and was the first fly which I caught my first Michigan wild steelhead in 1981. There are many variations of this pattern one of which is mine.

In the tying instructions I send I will provide other variations which can be effective. This is an all around general nymph pattern which you can use for trout, salmon, steelhead, bass, etc...

This pattern brought up the big wild buck two weeks ago in Michigan on my last day there, he was 13-15 lbs probably and that first wild head shaking jump against the pine forest background and snow will be remembered for a long time.

wrke
05-12-2002, 12:33 AM
Jerry
I've been traveling quite a bit, but my flies are finished and I'll have them in the mail Monday. Best,
Bill

Steelheader69
05-15-2002, 11:48 PM
We're about there, just waiting for a few of you to send in your flies, and then I'll rebox and send away.

Thanks Jerry

sean
05-16-2002, 12:52 PM
Been busy and with the forum move I am not sure I will get these done in time.

If you give me another week maybe otherwise I will have to bow out of this one.Sorry guys.

-sean

Steelheader69
05-16-2002, 07:53 PM
The choice is yours, I can easily give you another week if you'd like. But know how hectic moving things around is. So, the call is yours. Let me know.

Thanks

pmflyfisher
05-18-2002, 05:42 PM
Jerry,

Whats the ETIC on the fly mailing ?

Hal

sean
05-18-2002, 08:17 PM
OK it is sataurday night and I have yet had a chance to start....Will have to drop out cause I do not want to keep you all waiting. catch ya next year and please accept my apologies for cancelling so late in the game.

-sean

Steelheader69
05-18-2002, 10:50 PM
Have no idea. Now that Sean is out, only waiting on Nate, Wrke (which his is in the mail) and mean Gene. So, I'd guestimate next saturday. HOPEFULLY. Now, if Sparkey was involved, I'd say another month. :hehe:

pmflyfisher
05-19-2002, 07:59 AM
ok, my summer run fishing starts in June, hoping there may be a fly or two I can apply out here on the skamanias. With all this rain we are getting it may be early June instead of late June that they come into the river in fishable numbers.

My internet monitoring system is now operational to detect their movements. Before it was always a complete guess if they were in the rivers, now it becomes an educated guess with the internet resources.

Tight Lines

PM

Nate Bailey
05-20-2002, 01:13 AM
Sorry guys
Im getting mine done and will be sent out ......Nate

Steelheader69
05-20-2002, 09:01 PM
Now all I need is mene gene's and nates and we're done. Stil enclose 9 flies guys, we do have an extra set of flies already to makeup for seans. So, once I get those llast two sets Ii'l be mailing.

Steelheader69
05-24-2002, 01:09 AM
Only waiting on Mean Gene's flies. I emailed him. If I don't hear back from him by time I come back from my 4 day weekend, I'll tie up an extra 9 and send out flies.

NrthFrk16
05-24-2002, 01:58 AM
Jerry-
Stop sending RT flies and for God's sake stop posting pics of your jigs and flies for him to see.

He doesnt deserve it...

Oh well...had to get that off my chest!!!!! :(

Enjoy your 4 day weekend, darn it!!!! :) :smokin:

Steelheader69
05-24-2002, 02:34 AM
I'm a pretty laid back guy. I get along with about everyone, even Angie. I don't take sides, whatever beef people have with one another is their business. I take people for who they are with me, not with everyone else. So you two put on punching bags and go at it. :D

Hell, I was thinking of even sending you some of my strike indicators, sheesh. :D lol

juro
05-24-2002, 09:34 AM
SH69 -

Thanks for doing this. We appreciate your energy level http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/images/icons/icon14.gif

Don't forget to get images made so we can add them to the archive!

Steelheader69
05-28-2002, 12:12 AM
We just had another dropout. So, I'll tie up another 9 flies and be sending off the packets. Had free time this weekend, should've done it then, but didn't find out until I came home today. So, flies should be out in mail this weekend.

Will have pictures up too, I promise. Have a digital camera now and think I have it figured out now.

pmflyfisher
05-28-2002, 06:34 AM
Jerry,

Thanks, I will email you this week with the history and tying instructions of the fly I submitted, so it can be posted with the picture.

Hal