Grego's Fabulous Florida Fling [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Grego's Fabulous Florida Fling

RayStachelek
04-14-2002, 10:28 AM
Here's some great shots of Greg Owirka's Florida Fishing trip. He'll be back with us by next Saturday season opener. Enjoy!

RayStachelek
04-14-2002, 10:34 AM
Man.... Do you Photograph well! Greg with a Red Fish

juro
04-14-2002, 10:37 AM
MAN those are some nice looking fish! I'd be tempted to break out the Chef Prudhomme's Redfish magic for either one of those :devil:

grego
04-14-2002, 11:47 AM
Ray, Thanks for Hosting Those Pics.

Juro,

The Locals will tell you that Snook is actually the Best Eating Species. I guess that Snook are Very good eating, but you have to catch a pretty big one because there is a size limit (can't remember the inches, maybe 24"?).

That was the Biggest Redfish that was Inside the Slot Limit (18"-27"); it measured at 26.5". I got another one that was Just Outside the Slot at 27.5". We also had acouple of Shots at Snook, which are Just Starting to Show Up. Craig (the Guide) had one take a surface plug (spin), but he spit the Hook when he had to Muscle him away from some Mangrove Roots. I also had a Snook Whack at a Popper Fly, but he either missed the hook or I missed the Set. The Trout was 25.5" which is pretty big. Also got a couple of Schoolies Jacks that were ~3 lbs; these buggers fight like mad! Also had some shots at Sheepshead & small Black Drum (there are some Monster Black Drum in that area, but we could not fish there due to wind conditions). If you Add in Ladyfish you could actually have a Seven Species Day. Also, Later in the season they get Tarpon up in there up to 70# & sometimes pretty big Sharks.

We saw about 4 Gators; one was as Big as the Canoe (18'); Wading is NOT Recommended.

The Wildlife was a great part of the Trip; just to name some of what we saw: Osprey, Herrin, Egrette, Dolphin, Garr, Tons of Mullet, Gators, ...