motor on pontoons [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: motor on pontoons

fisshman26
04-13-2002, 08:56 PM
Has anyone tried a motor on their pontoon boat? Just wondering how it worked out and what size motor was used. I have a pac 9000 and if anyone has any sugestions they would be greatlly apreciated.

old man
04-17-2002, 04:06 PM
I've never done it but I saw it done. Saw a person on a small lake the other day And he was tooling right along. I've never seen an electric motor push any thing so fast.
I would think that the weight of the battery and motor would be just a little much,as he was sitting just a little low in the water. His pontoons were almost under water.

Jim

steeliesonafly
04-17-2002, 09:08 PM
You will find that most pontoon builders have an adapter for you pontoon. You can purchase it seperate and add the motor. They work real good, but in most states, if you put a motor on it, you will have to register it as well!:whoa:

Steelheader69
05-05-2002, 03:48 PM
Yes, most have adaptors for boats to put a kicker on. They also have a cool little float that you put your battery in so you don't weigh down your boat with a battery. It depends on what type of motor you want to put on it?

Steelie is right. Most states say if you put ANY sort of motor on the boat, you have to license it. Was thinking of putting a small kicker on my 16' cat, but not going to pay a license on my cat as well, then have to put vessel #'s on it as well. Forget that.

I'll warn you. If by chance you want to "go for the gusto" and really put a big motor on it (say a 5-10 horse gas kicker or a HEAVY thrust electric) to watch out. These boats aren't meant to push water. Go heavy enough thrustwise and your boat with cavitate. Did some experiments years ago and found out first hand. Put my 9.9 on my 16' for tooling around lakes. Man, open that baby up and the boat fealt like I was driving on rocks. You really have to have everything centered just right and balanced perfect if you want some power behind you. If you just want a small added assist to your boat, then you'll be ok.

fisshman26
05-06-2002, 08:49 AM
steelheader69, I was thinking of a 5hp for getting me across and back on my home waters of the upper columbia. I am looking to avoid drifting and just getting back and forth so as to avoid all of the hassles involved in drifting solo. What do you think?

Steelheader69
05-06-2002, 08:48 PM
A 5hp engine on that boat would make it fly. I'd highly suggest an electricc kicker though, say a 48lb thrust. But if you do go with a gas 5hp, Don't go with a side motormount. You'll really cavitate that boat. You'll want that kicker to be as DEAD center as possible. With a small electric you won't have the push a gas kicker has. I know my sled goes along pretty good with the original 4/5 horse that came with it. Can only imagiine what it'd do on a 9' outcast.

You'll also have to consider weight. You'll need an external gas tank if you want to run long distances. The weight of motor plus weight of gascan will definitely max out your boat. Problem with aan electric kickker is you don't have that much power if you use it as your main ssource of power.

I'd almost suggest you switch over to a pram vs pontoon boat. Alot of prams are light (not the 40lb light of a pontoon boat) and are a bit more forgiving with a motor. Just an option, and certain maaks of pram can hiit whitewater, or at least take you anywhere your outcast goes.