2nd Annual Rhody IceBreaker [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 2nd Annual Rhody IceBreaker

RayStachelek
04-09-2002, 08:56 PM
Saturday, April 20 th. We invade the waters and tributaries of Lil' Rhody in our quest for our first seasonal striped bass. Come one, come all, but to get the necessary information to our whereabouts, you must get on the e-mail access list.

Assembly Time 6:00 A.M. Location to be determined. Final destination information will be E-mailed Friday, April 19th. If you are running late or plan to join us later, access the cell phone list of any RI based fly fisher.

Marine Data:

Sunrise: 5:58 A.M.
Moon phase: 1st quarter
Water Temp: Est. 48 - 52 degrees
Tides: Low 7:34 A.M., Hgt. 0.4 ft.
High 2:55 P.M., Hgt. 3.7 ft.

Baitfish availability:

Silversides, mummichogs, shrimp, alewives,

Flies - Clousers, (chartreuse, olive, and yellow), white deceivers, alewives patterns, bucktail flies, and jellyfish patterns.

Nick Svencer will be doing the e-mail and cell phone numbers access list. E-mail this information to him either through the board or he might list his address. We plan on moving around during slack periods of fishing and tides to locate fish.

RayStachelek
04-09-2002, 08:56 PM
Rhody IceBreaker Roster
Up dated as of Apr. 17 th @ 10:00 A.M.

WRITTEN IN STONE:

Sean McDermott*
Slinger*
Ray Stachelek*
Nick Svencer*
GregO*
Brian Casey*
Doogie*
Dave Pritchard*
Doc Duprey*
Adrian*

IN SAND:

Lefty?
Jared?*
Juro?

*denotes e-mail and cell phone information given to Nick.

Doc Duprey
04-09-2002, 11:33 PM
Any room for a fish-crazed, over-stressed newbie (to stripers/salt) from New Jersey? My case of the shack-nasties is so bad that my better half is pushing me out the door, and this sounds like just the ticket. I'm a fair-to-middlin caster, OK fly-wrapper, have Outback, will travel (for a shot at fish), with lots to learn.

Best regards,

-Doc:confused:

fliboy
04-10-2002, 06:41 AM
Hi Ray,

Please add me to the list and I will send Nick my cellphone number. I'd say it's like 98% chance that I can make it.

Dave

Nick
04-10-2002, 08:19 AM
Got email from:
Mike Doogue
Fliboy
Ray Stachelek
Case
Adrian
Slinger
Smcdermott
Doc Duprey
Jared
Grego

Doc, I'd say come on up. Ray's an excellent guide as well as a rather witty comedian. Hope to see you there!

Nick

juro
04-10-2002, 08:31 AM
Working on driving over from the cape, looks like the fam damily will be down there that weekend. I'll keep you posted Nick.

BTW - did you download that angler's log to your palm yet?

Nick
04-10-2002, 09:56 AM
Juro,
Haven't downloaded it yet. I have found that Palm only databases became tedious. When entering data, the Palm became rather limiting and every program I tried either had too much information available or not the stuff pertinent to my SWFF adventures. A database that was syncable to a computer format is what I'm really after. I'm thinking about laying out an excel spreadsheet that keeps all pertinant info and is sync'd using Docs To Go. I'll let you know how it works out. I'll try out this one though and see how it goes. Hope you can make it to Rhody.

Nick

DFix
04-10-2002, 10:40 AM
Most likely won't make it. Couldn't make the Little Rhody Fling; don't see this happening, either.

Nick
04-11-2002, 08:28 AM
Last years Lineup:

Nick
04-11-2002, 08:29 AM
forgot the pic.

Nick
04-11-2002, 08:30 AM
here we go.

Nick
04-11-2002, 08:31 AM
one more time:

Doc Duprey
04-11-2002, 05:02 PM
Don't know if I'm "in stone"...more like very firm oatmeal at this point. Still, planning on coming up Friday night so as to get a little shut-eye before we start. Where do you suggest lodging? My family MAY want to come along for some sight-seeing and pool activity while I work out my demons with the long rod, so a reasonably proximate Holiday Inn or some such thing would be great.

-Doc

bcasey
04-12-2002, 08:14 AM
Hey Juro,
If you decide that you can make it and your heading over to R.I. from the Cape, maybe we can ride together, plan the entire season in the truck. Shoud not be hard, lets see, after Rhody we hit Monomoy the following weekend, and then the next weekend we could do Monomoy, from here on we should try out Monomoy for the next, oh say 4 or 5 months. OH, allright we can do Barnstable Harbor once, if you insist. But then, it's back to Monomoy. Let me know !

jared
04-12-2002, 09:37 AM
Ray --

sent you a PM w/ the contact info....still not sure if I'm hitting the Farmington for the Hendricksons or not...let me know what the
plan is as things develop and put me down as a "definite maybe"

:)

--j

grego
04-13-2002, 10:09 PM
Hey All, I'm back.

I'm 95% Certain I'll make the 20th. I'll try to help out, but things may be a bit crazy as I start my new job next week.

As for FLA: Got 5 Redfish up to 27.5", 1 Sea Trout @ 25.5" & a couple of Schoolie Jacks (~3 lbs). I got some great Pictures, But I cannot post them cause my web-site is Currenly Down.

Doc Duprey
04-13-2002, 10:46 PM
OK, looks like a go for me and the family. we'll be staying in Mystic and I'll drive up to wherever at Oh-dark-hundred for the 0600 meetng. I am one eager newbie! Looking foreward to meeting you all, and learning how it's done. Any more info on where? Also what tackle do you suggest? I can bring either a 9' 9wt medium-fast action, or my new 10 1/2' "Stick", also for a 9...or both. Now, if I can just keep my mind on work from Monday 'till Friday afternoon...

-Doc: D

juro
04-13-2002, 11:22 PM
Case -

On that note I will start the negotiations with my better half. Sounds like a great plan to me.

This year I will be spending a lot more time rekindling my sight fishing roots out on Brewster Flats. Good fish (35-40") stayed up on the flats all season last year in Dennis and Brewster bayside and I am thinking they might repeat in 2002. Great fun sight fishing these bright bayside stripers. Waves of fish come when the tide is right, and there are very few people there compared to other parts of the cape.

I'll confirm w/ the Mrs about taking off to Rhody next weekend from the cape and let you know!

Originally posted by bcasey
Hey Juro,
If you decide that you can make it and your heading over to R.I. from the Cape, maybe we can ride together, plan the entire season in the truck. Shoud not be hard, lets see, after Rhody we hit Monomoy the following weekend, and then the next weekend we could do Monomoy, from here on we should try out Monomoy for the next, oh say 4 or 5 months. OH, allright we can do Barnstable Harbor once, if you insist. But then, it's back to Monomoy. Let me know !

rel1
04-14-2002, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Doc Duprey
OK, looks like a go for me and the family. we'll be staying in Mystic and I'll drive up to wherever at Oh-dark-hundred for the 0600 meetng. I am one eager newbie! Looking foreward to meeting you all, and learning how it's done. Any more info on where? Also what tackle do you suggest? I can bring either a 9' 9wt medium-fast action, or my new 10 1/2' "Stick", also for a 9...or both. Now, if I can just keep my mind on work from Monday 'till Friday afternoon...

-Doc: D I'd bring both rods if at all possible, you never know when the wind is going to pick up. I was out fishing Sat. afternoon and ran into Ray and where we were fishing is one of the spots he has targeted and the "Stick" would be good there.
Unfortunately, I have to work that day and won't be able to make the outing. God luck and save a few for me. Ron

RayStachelek
04-16-2002, 09:33 AM
Just a little up-date on the present fishing conditions in Rhody.

Caught six schoolies yesterday for three hours of work. Day started great with a five pounder on the first cast. After that the fish were kinda space out. The good thing, these fish were taken during the hours of 2:30 to 5:30 in the afternoon. Bright sunlight doesn't seem to inhibit them yet. Temps this week will soar above normal. Water temps will elevate possibly three to five degrees. Should bring in another slugg of new fish too and may open up other areas of possibilities.

Thursday, I'll be putting together the game plan with directions and all. Nick will e-mail it out sometime friday. This information will also include the cel phone tree if you get side tracked.

Maybe the crown prince of saltwater fly fishing, Sir Regal King Arthur will make an appearance. He's been kind of quiet lately. Must be bang'in those big 'ems. Art is the board historian with over60 years experience. No....Body knows Rhody like Art.

Remember, if you want to get this imformation for Saturday's Rhody's IceBreaker, you have to get on Nick's access list. That's very important. After that you'll be out of luck.

Nick
04-16-2002, 09:49 AM
Ray,
Sounds great. Once we get the plans worked out, I'll get it all together and send out the email like you said. If you're looking for feedback, last years meeting spot worked well, but I'm not sure if its convenient to this years plans.

Nick

FredA
04-16-2002, 11:51 AM
I've been holding out but it ain't going to work. Sorry I'm going to miss this. Just have too much to do. I will be down the Cape next weekend, probably scraping and painting. Will definetly wet a line Sat and Sun am. Late Saturday afternoon outgoing looks like it may be ideal to take a shot at the mouth of the Bass River. Juro, if your negotiations falter give a hollar, maybe we can hook up.

grego
04-18-2002, 08:55 PM
Any Plans Firming up yet? I haven't seen anything from Nick.

By the looks of some post, things are definately starting to happen.

Also, looks like 80's & 90's are Gone, back to the 50's & some Precip for the Weekend?

Waiting with baited breath (pun intended), GregO!!!

RayStachelek
04-18-2002, 09:41 PM
Ah! your breath...

Just e-mailed Nick with all the information about the Rhody Fling.

Won't be long now.

You need to be on the e-mail list to receive directions.

Nick
04-18-2002, 10:20 PM
on my Palm phone. I'll email the info out 1st thing tommorrow. Technology is so cool sometimes ;-)
Nick

Roop
04-19-2002, 08:36 AM
Best of luck guys!

Will be in the office tomorrow morning, landscaping tomorrow afteroon.

I'll be thinking about the camraderie of last year and the potential for a great opener for you guys this weekend.

Thanks for putting this together Ray - very generous.

Roop

juro
04-19-2002, 08:50 AM
Ray -

You da' MAN!

I've got a pile-up going here, not the least of which is moving ahead on the server migration for the FORUM and SpeyPages (new casting videos are waiting to go live!), also chip in w/ the weekend QA effort going at the day job, then pay some honey-do debts at home.

Best of luck guys, I have the feeling it's gonna be smokin' down there this weekend with the way things have been this year. Under Ray's guidance you can't go wrong!

Juro

bcasey
04-19-2002, 11:43 AM
YEEHAW!!!

craig
04-19-2002, 12:38 PM
Can someone e-mail me the info for the weekend of 4-20-02 would love to try and make it. Thanks in advance!

csm7373@aol.com

RayStachelek
04-19-2002, 05:56 PM
Here's the general text of the Rhody IceBreaker Message, minus the cell tree and directions. There's still time to join us. E-mail Nick or myself.

The Fly Fishing Forum
Rhody IceBreaker II.
Welcome one and all,

The season is shaping up rather nicely. Weather has been co-operative this week. Water temperatures have elevated to desired levels. Tides are raising, daily bait increasing and our own level of anticipation has peaked too. Hopefully we will be able to catch a fish or two...or three.

The Rhody IceBreaker was designed initially as an early spring board event to the striper season. No real formalities involved here, not a lot of planning, no ones taking center stage, just a casual get together of striper maniacs. Please remember this, if it were not for the Fly Fishing Forum we wouldn't have a home to share ideas like this. Please support the Forum financially or with your time or talent. We all benefit as a fishing community.

Have a great IceBreaker and enjoy the ride.

Smcdermott
04-19-2002, 06:02 PM
Nick,
Have you sent out the email already? If so, can you or someone forward me the information?

Can't wait to meet everyone tomorrow...hoping to catch my first striper on a fly.

Sean

seanmcdermott@hotmail.com

Nick
04-19-2002, 06:44 PM
Sean,
Email's away. I had a different email for you.
Sorry,
Nick

juro
04-19-2002, 06:46 PM
I tell myself "discipline"... we have teams on both coasts spending weekend time to meet a big deadline at work... honey-do's at home that would buy me time down the road... sow now, reap later...

then I look out the window and think after several months of no opportunities the trout are a their peak, the salmon are livening up in the upper Merrimac and just right for Spey rodding, and the stripers are arriving all over the south facing New England coastline...

I envy you guys, and wish you the best of earlybirds this year. Kick it off in style!

Kudos to Ray for leading the way and Nick for pulling it all together. Please post reports for those of us who will be vicariously enjoying your outing.

Nick
04-19-2002, 10:42 PM
Once again on my phone... Juro, will post a full review as soon as I can. We'll miss ya!

Nick

Adrian
04-19-2002, 10:59 PM
I will be there but a bit later than the 06:00 start, Needing a tad more than 3 hours kip before the drive but looking forward to tracking you down - just leave a couple for me;)